Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 3, 2005

Hi all!
I would suggest Proz to install a multilanguage online dictionary. This would help to reduce "unprofessional" use of KudoZ. All those people surching the phrase "Merry Chrismas" or "Happy Birthday" in as many languages as possible could be refered to the dictionary.
What do u think?
Regards
Heinrich

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Next step? Sep 3, 2005

My understanding has been that after instituting the new number-of-question tiered limits (for which, again, I would like to report excellent outcome in ENG-ARA in terms of the quality of interaction and overall online experience), the next step was going to be the introduction of a merging of "post a question" with "KudoZ search" in the sense that if you attempt to post the expression, say, "I love you" in the Hindi to English language pair, and it has already been posted before, when you hit t... See more
My understanding has been that after instituting the new number-of-question tiered limits (for which, again, I would like to report excellent outcome in ENG-ARA in terms of the quality of interaction and overall online experience), the next step was going to be the introduction of a merging of "post a question" with "KudoZ search" in the sense that if you attempt to post the expression, say, "I love you" in the Hindi to English language pair, and it has already been posted before, when you hit the Send button, KudoZ Search will kick in and give you the previous posting(s) of the same expression. You can still post a new question if the previous postings did not satisfy your particular need, but then you would have to explain why, so that answerers would not give you the same old answers.

I hope that this is still being considered.
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:17
English to Italian
+ ...
web term search....oh no! Sep 3, 2005

just tried "buon natale" (merry christmas) from Italian to English in web term search from kudoz tab and:

word reference : no results
ectaco: no translation
googletrans: good NATO them
systran: good NATO them

no good, really

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Try ProZ.com Term Search under the KudoZ menu Sep 4, 2005

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

just tried "buon natale" (merry christmas) from Italian to English in web term search from kudoz tab and:

word reference : no results
ectaco: no translation
googletrans: good NATO them
systran: good NATO them

no good, really

I just tried the same in ProZ.com Term Search (KudoZ menu) and got 31 results.

[Edited at 2005-09-04 00:05]

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I wasn't being too serious.... Sep 4, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:

I just tried the same in ProZ.com Term Search (KudoZ menu) and got 31 results.

Sure.. I wasn't taking it so seriously...just showing that sometimes an online dictionary doesn't have a clue!

Buona notte (goodnight), DZ

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Reinventing the wheel? Sep 4, 2005

Hi Heinrich,

IMHO the KudoZ Open Glossary, combined with member glossaries and the various other search options, IS a multilingual online dictionary already. So why reinvent the wheel?

(I'm far from saying that the system is perfect as it is, though. Quite clearly, some further refinements to the search algorithms should be implemented, and the quality of entries improved.)

Steffen

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So what's the trouble? Sep 4, 2005

This idea came to me when I was reading the threads here about abuse of the KudoZ. Too many easy questions without context, askers posting in others than there working languages etc. Perhaps outsiders do not dare to use the glossaries, but a normal dictionary would be easier to use. Do lay-people even know what a glossary is?

At least for rare languages the glossaries have nothing to offer, nothing at all.

I just tried to find a solution to a problem many are complaini
... See more
This idea came to me when I was reading the threads here about abuse of the KudoZ. Too many easy questions without context, askers posting in others than there working languages etc. Perhaps outsiders do not dare to use the glossaries, but a normal dictionary would be easier to use. Do lay-people even know what a glossary is?

At least for rare languages the glossaries have nothing to offer, nothing at all.

I just tried to find a solution to a problem many are complaining about. I did not complain.

Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-09-04 10:23]
Collapse

Frédéric Bégon
Frédéric Bégon
France
English to French
+ ...
I use a practical dictionary conceived for many languages Sep 5, 2005

www.freelang.com

At this position you can load it for no cost and state how easy it is to use.

It is limited to 6 tongues.

Frederic.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I dont need one Sep 5, 2005

I have an electronic dictionary for 20 European languages. I suggested this idea for the benefit of those who seem to bother people there at KudoZ-section with stupid questions which could easily be answered by an online dictionary.
Is my initial posting so difficult to understand?
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about installing an online multi-language dictionary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »