Mobile menu

Why on earth is the number of characters in the search phrase restricted to 20??
Thread poster: Gorel Bylund

Gorel Bylund
Sweden
Local time: 04:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

I am sorry if I bring up anything that (probably) has been an issue before at this forum, but I am in a real hurry and frankly don't have time to look for it.

I wanted to enter the term "Chief Financial Officer" and try to find the Swedish equivalent, but all I could paste was "Chief Financial Off". Not very useful.

Surely, this wasn't the behaviour of the
old KudoZ search design, or??

Görel Bylund

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:33
German to English
search phrase Sep 8, 2005

Görel Bylund wrote:

I wanted to enter the term "Chief Financial Officer" and try to find the Swedish equivalent, but all I could paste was "Chief Financial Off". Not very useful.

Görel Bylund

Try "financial officer" and you'll get plenty of results, including chief financial officer. I always use the mininum number of words.

Kim

Gorel Bylund
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com term search was the answer Sep 8, 2005

Thanks for your answer, but I don't want to be restricted - some terms are quite lengthy.

But just a minute later, I found a solution at "ProZ.com term search", where I could enter my full phrase and get some answers. I still don't understand why there should be such a narrow limit, though?

BR
Görel

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
may be due to a hypothetical assumption Sep 8, 2005

that the longest keyword in all languages may not exceed 20 characters, otherwise, there would be joined words and all kinds of combinations. Best regards, Brandis

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Actually, I'm miffed about the opposite problem Sep 8, 2005

Used to be we could search for 2 character strings, which coupled with the FIND EXACT PHRASE option was useful for acronyms. Powers that be: can we have that back please?

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Error. Search terms must contain at least 3 characters Sep 8, 2005

I was recently looking for a two-letter abbreviation and that's the answer I got.
There are many two-letter acronyms and abbreviations in the glossary (in fact, only today I noticed a one-letter entry on the list: v->versus), so the requirement seems rather strange.
Can you change it, please?

[Edited at 2005-09-09 08:42]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Heureka, 28! Sep 9, 2005

Markenteppichbodenhersteller
Aus einem mir gerade zur Übersetzung überlassenen Text.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I second this motion! Sep 9, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

Used to be we could search for 2 character strings, which coupled with the FIND EXACT PHRASE option was useful for acronyms. Powers that be: can we have that back please?

I didn't know about the 20 character limit but am constantly annoyed by the 3 character limit for the reason you mention: acronyms! There are many, many, many glossary entries that are just two little letters. In fact, I'd venture to say the glossaries are less useful because of the three character requirement. Is there a reason for this? Can we get rid of it? Please?
Thanks and good night to all!
LNS

gad
United States
French to English
Sometimes the minimum number of words gives too many results Sep 10, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

I always use the mininum number of words.

Sometimes I use the minimum number of words, but only provided that I won't get four pages worth of search results, which is actually at times the case. Who wants to have to look through all those results, when narrowing it down would make the process quicker and therefore more efficient? JMO.

gad
United States
French to English
I agree with this Sep 10, 2005

ryfka wrote:

I was recently looking for a two-letter abbreviation and that's the answer I got.
There are many two-letter acronyms and abbreviations in the glossary (in fact, only today I noticed a one-letter entry on the list: v->versus), so the requirement seems rather strange.
Can you change it, please?

[Edited at 2005-09-09 08:42]

Yes, this has happened to me repeatedly. And I posted one recent question where I was just looking for a two-letter abbreviation but I posted the other abbreviation that came before it, so that I could enter my term (I stated that I knew what the first abbreviation meant). So I got my answer in a roundabout kind of way, but anyway this is an example of why two letters sometimes can be useful.

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Discrimination! :-) Sep 12, 2005

Brandis wrote:

that the longest keyword in all languages may not exceed 20 characters, otherwise, there would be joined words and all kinds of combinations. Best regards, Brandis

What about the so called agglutinative languages, where 20 letters are commonplace? Yes, there are all kinds of combinations, but they are "unavoidable" - "elkerülhetetlenek".
(That's an untypically short example.)
I am going to complain to my trade union - munkásszakszervezetemnek.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why on earth is the number of characters in the search phrase restricted to 20??

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs