What does "visits (asker)" on the KudoZ page mean?
Thread poster: Eva T
Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Sep 9, 2005

I asked a Kudoz question a few days ago and at the end of the page it says:
Visits
Visits (asker): 5

What does "visits (asker") mean? Does it mean visits of the asker on the KudoZ page
OR
visits from other members who have visited the KudoZ page?
Thank you,
Eva

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
Number of visits as shown to the asker Sep 9, 2005

Hi Eva,

As far as I know, it shows the number of visits (I'm not sure if it's the unique visits, though, but should be so), and only the asker can have this view.

Regards,

_______

EDIT: Checked. Shows unique visits.

[Edited at 2005-09-10 14:21]

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
German to English
+ ...
Do we really need this feature?? Sep 10, 2005

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
It won't hurt at least Sep 10, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:
Do we really need this feature??

Or, think of it this way: my asked/answered ratio is 753/0; I have never responded to a context request; I have left all the closing job to the robot so far; I decline people without the courtesy of an explanation... and one day, I click on my own question wondering why I haven't received any answer yet. It's even more curious to see 89 visits on the page. Do you believe that this picture might give me a clue? Well, I do... but then, I believe in Santa, too

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is nice to have it Sep 10, 2005

I think it is a nice feature, even though I was not aware of it (until now.) I remember that several members have asked for this feature in the past and I do not think it hurts to have it there.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Monika

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It definitely doesn't do any harm, but what is it for? Sep 10, 2005

Monika Coulson wrote:
I remember that several members have asked for this feature in the past and I do not think it hurts to have it there.

It definitely doesn't do any harm, but what is it for?

I'm just curious. What's the benefit of knowing how often you have viewed your own question?

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I agree that it won't hurt Sep 10, 2005

Xola wrote:

Trudy Peters wrote:
Do we really need this feature??

Or, think of it this way: my asked/answered ratio is 753/0; I have never responded to a context request; I have left all the closing job to the robot so far; I decline people without the courtesy of an explanation... and one day, I click on my own question wondering why I haven't received any answer yet. It's even more curious to see 89 visits on the page. Do you believe that this picture might give me a clue? Well, I do... but then, I believe in Santa, too

I think it could be useful at times to know whether or not the asker has had the chance to check in on the answers. I rather like this feature and would like it to remain a feature. Thanks.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
The original question has not been answered clearly yet! Sep 10, 2005

I don't think we have a clear answer to the question yet. Does this feature show how many times the asker has visited the question, or how many times others have done so? I assumed the former, and my own experience seems to bear that out; every time I went back to see the "agrees" and comments on the answers, the visit count was higher by 1. But Xola, who as a moderator knows much more than I do about the site, thinks differently.

Is there some way we can get an official answer? The
... See more
I don't think we have a clear answer to the question yet. Does this feature show how many times the asker has visited the question, or how many times others have done so? I assumed the former, and my own experience seems to bear that out; every time I went back to see the "agrees" and comments on the answers, the visit count was higher by 1. But Xola, who as a moderator knows much more than I do about the site, thinks differently.

Is there some way we can get an official answer? Then we can go on discussing the feature's merits to our heart's content!
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Well then... Sep 10, 2005

JaneTranslates wrote:

Is there some way we can get an official answer? Then we can go on discussing the feature's merits to our heart's content!

I think it's pretty obvious that it refers to the number of times that the ASKER checks in on the question. I am truly sorry that I didn't know that THIS was the question in the first post, but it was so obvious to me that I automatically misread.

Perhaps you could draw a moderator and/or staff site person's attention to this, and then you will get an "official" confirmation on this, but to me it seemed so incredibly obvious that I didn't realize there was even the need to ask WHAT it is.

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Was it my fictitious example that confused you? Sep 11, 2005

If so, I am sorry for that, but you can trust that my asked/answered ratio is not 753/0.

That feature is a sort of hit counter, which gives the number of unique visits on the question page. And it reads "(asker)" next to it, because this information is provided for the asker - it's an asker-only view, that is. (I cannot see that count on any other page but those of my own questions.)

And,

JaneTranslates wrote:
I assumed the former, and my own experience seems to bear that out; every time I went back to see the "agrees" and comments on the answers, the visit count was higher by 1.

my experience this morning was the opposite, that's why I added "unique" in my message above: I viewed my question right after I posted it, as I always do. The count was empty. Then I viewed it again, about 30 seconds later, it was 1; on my 3rd visit, again 30 seconds later, it was still 1. (I was testing to be able to answer the query here, that was why... I mean, I'm not so obsessed about my questions ) But you may want to ask for an official explanation through a Support Request.

As for the benefit of this feature, I cannot come up with anything other than providing askers a sort of feedback on how much interest their question created. I, for one, would like to have that info. And I cannot imagine any harm due to this feature, even though there might be yet other benefits/functions that doesn't occur to me right now.

_________

Had some doubts after posting this, and checked again on several questions of mine, old and new. The count never changed, so it's unique. And this itself makes it clear enough that it is the number of visits by everyone; had it been by the asker only, the unique number would've always been 1, not to mention that it wouldn't have made any sense to show askers the number of their own visits. I hope I have provided a sufficiently clear explanation this time

[Edited at 2005-09-11 02:45]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, Xola, you didn't confuse me! Sep 11, 2005

Xola, your fictional illustration (including the fact that it is, indeed, fictional) was perfectly clear; in your last post you are confirming that "visits" are *not* what I thought, and they are *not* what Gad finds "incredibly obvious."

Unless I am terribly lost here, Xola is saying that the count shows how many different people (unique individuals, prospective answerers) have viewed the question. Gad is saying that the count shows how many times the asker has viewed his/her own q
... See more
Xola, your fictional illustration (including the fact that it is, indeed, fictional) was perfectly clear; in your last post you are confirming that "visits" are *not* what I thought, and they are *not* what Gad finds "incredibly obvious."

Unless I am terribly lost here, Xola is saying that the count shows how many different people (unique individuals, prospective answerers) have viewed the question. Gad is saying that the count shows how many times the asker has viewed his/her own question.

Until this forum came up, I would have agreed with Gad; now I simply don't know, but Xola's experience sounds as if either:
1) Gad and I were wrong.
2) The counter does not always work properly.

The next time I post a question I'll pay special attention to what happens. Either way, I think it is a useful function, but not if we don't know what the numbers mean!

BTW, Gad, I think Eva's original question was quite clear. I know I sometimes just skim through previous postings, but we ought, at least, to carefully read the first one, don't you think?
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Did you bring this forum to a moderator's attention? Sep 11, 2005

JaneTranslates wrote:

BTW, Gad, I think Eva's original question was quite clear. I know I sometimes just skim through previous postings, but we ought, at least, to carefully read the first one, don't you think?

That's nice, but if I read YOUR posting correctly, I thought you wanted an "official" response on this, instead of continuing to discuss it? If so, then I believe that I already stated (and if you'd read MY posting correctly, you would have already seen this) that you should bring this forum to a moderator's attention in order to get that "official" response.

[Edited at 2005-09-11 14:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does "visits (asker)" on the KudoZ page mean?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »