Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why?
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 11:18
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Discrimination? Sep 16, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:
I'd like to restrict technical questions to a male audience only, please.

In a good working community, my request above should trigger a couple of complaints, no?

Quite. If someone were to make restrictions such as these - or, for example, to exclude Americans from English questions - there would be screams of "Discrimination!", and rightly so. And personally, I don't see any great difference in deliberately excluding non-plats in the vain hope of getting better quality.

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask or answer at your own peril Sep 19, 2005

Hello all,

I really think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup and that perhaps were are taking these discrimination issues too far. I am non-plat, non-native in target English but still feel free to answer where and when I feel qualified.

1. If an asker chooses to direct his question to plat-only members, this is done at his/her own peril. Personally I would think it was a bit reckless no overlook all other members based on the idea that 'if you don't pay, you don't kn
... See more
Hello all,

I really think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup and that perhaps were are taking these discrimination issues too far. I am non-plat, non-native in target English but still feel free to answer where and when I feel qualified.

1. If an asker chooses to direct his question to plat-only members, this is done at his/her own peril. Personally I would think it was a bit reckless no overlook all other members based on the idea that 'if you don't pay, you don't know', but who am I to judge. That simple.

2. Ditto when directing at native/non-native speakers, though admittedly the case for doing so seems clearer. Questions are posted for different reason, as pointed out by Andy, Jane and others. Sometimes you have trouble with the source, others with the target.

However, some of the trickier questions often need input from both...for unravelling the meaning in the first place and for getting the right expression in the target language afterwards. These are precisely the Kudoz questions I find most interesting, especially when you see two or three answerers teaming up and making additions and exchanging comments in order to solve the asker's problem. In such cases, solving the problem is the goal in itself - it's nice when you see people forgetting about points and other secondary issues. That, for me, is the true spirit in Kudoz, although it is absent all to often.

3. If you choose to answer a question which wasn't directed at your areas of expertise, again you do so knowing what to expect. Perhaps the asker's sole intent is to avoid you wasting your time. If you think you know better, you can go ahead and answer. Further, if you supply an answer no other user has been able to, this might make the asker re-think his/her asking criteria the next time round. Just don't feel offended if it doesn't happen.

To sum up. Live and let live. If someone doesn't want you to answer - why feel offended. Given the choice, you might not even have wanted him/her to ask you!!

Un-professionally non-plat from the Canaries! ;O) ;O)

As an after note for Sormane: Your payment is handed to you daily, in the form of broadened knowledge and community sharing. I for one feel more than rewarded for the effort I put into ProZ. Payment isn't just money.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (2003)
French to English
Not at all the same thing Sep 19, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

I'd like to restrict technical questions to a male audience only, please.

I think that everyone here is intelligent enough to know the difference between what is and is not "discrimination". Restricting questions to Platinum is NOT. Anyone can CHOOSE to be Platinum. No one can CHOOSE to be male unless they already are or without a complicated operation. There should not be one person here who can seriously think there is a reasonable and logical comparison between the two. They are two completely different things. That is obvious.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (2003)
French to English
Exactly! Sep 19, 2005

Álvaro Blanch wrote:

To sum up. Live and let live. If someone doesn't want you to answer - why feel offended. Given the choice, you might not even have wanted him/her to ask you!!

VERY well put. I don't get what the problem is with offering the option to restrict questions to Platinum. Who cares? If you don't want to do it, then don't.

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:18
English to Russian
What customers? 8=( Sep 30, 2005

Henry wrote: One of the fundamental design decisions of KudoZ is that the asker is, in a sense, a customer.

I do not like this approach at all. My point of view is well illustrated by the following:

Beyond your tunnel vision reality fades
Like shadows into the night
To martyr yourself to caution
Is not going to help at all
because ther'll be no safety in numbers
When the right one walks out of the door

Kudoz is plagued by problems, most of them originate in the stubborn attempts by Proz staff to turn them into a profitable enterprise.

Please, try to revise your attitude towards Kudoz.

Best regards
Aleksandr

P.S. Please, read this post
http://www.proz.com/post/266811#266811

[Edited at 2005-10-01 15:03]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:18
English to Russian
I heard this a while ago Sep 30, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote: Asker preferences to receive only answers from platinum members does not bar non-platinums from answering. They still can answer.

Dear Marcus, how many people do you think are going to avail themselves of this opportunity? I agree with the people who regard this limitation as an insulting one.

Cheers,
Aleksandr

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Askers restricting questions to platinum answerers - why?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »