https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/36719-was_it_such_a_good_idea_to_block_post_grading_answers.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
was it such a good idea to block post-grading answers?
Thread poster: pidzej
pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:11
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2005

I just thought of a better answer to a term problem closed some time ago [which I did not answer originally], wanted to add that answer like I used to do in the past, not for points but for posteriority, hoping it will come up in search when I myself need that term five years from now, but I got turned away - that option is no longer there. All I can do now is "ask the asker", but it's not quite the same. Anybody else missing this functionality? I think it came in handy especially when an asker ... See more
I just thought of a better answer to a term problem closed some time ago [which I did not answer originally], wanted to add that answer like I used to do in the past, not for points but for posteriority, hoping it will come up in search when I myself need that term five years from now, but I got turned away - that option is no longer there. All I can do now is "ask the asker", but it's not quite the same. Anybody else missing this functionality? I think it came in handy especially when an asker rushed to close a question in a matter of minutes and chose a blatantly inadequate proposal.

[Edited at 2005-09-14 09:22]
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Late answers Sep 14, 2005

I have to agree with you. In the past I have often found useful answers to questions that had obviously already been closed.

I have also posted answers to questions that have already been closed (just as you describe). Occasionally, I even comment (agree or disagree) on such "late" answers.

This sounds like something that might make for a good poll.

[Edited at 2005-09-14 10:47]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Agree with both of you Sep 14, 2005

For the sake of future glossary users, this feature should definitely be reinstated.

Steffen

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fully agree Sep 14, 2005

Steffen Walter wrote:

For the sake of future glossary users, this feature should definitely be reinstated.

Steffen

Post-grading answers are particularly useful when a wrong answer is chosen.

Best regards,

Patricia

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Agree as well Sep 14, 2005

Many times when I do a Kudoz search, I end up using one of the other answers given - not the one selected (sometimes because it simply is not correct, sometimes because my context differs slightly and another answer is more suitable). All answers are useful, whether they come in before or after grading.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can still answer a closed question Sep 14, 2005

I just experimented with this on two different closed questions (closed within the last 24 hours), and the "answer" button is still there and working. (I didn't actually submit an answer, but I did get the form to do so.)

Maybe it was a bug in that particular question? I don't remember reading anywhere that post-grading answering was going to be disabled (and it really shouldn't be, as you said).

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:11
English to German
+ ...
Me too Sep 14, 2005

Cindy Chadd wrote:
I can still answer a closed question.

And I can still submit it and see it as usual

[Edited at 2005-09-14 11:37]

Derek Gill Franßen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You're lucky! Sep 14, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

Cindy Chadd wrote:
I can still answer a closed question.

And I can still submit it and see it as usual

I can't.

Michael Pauls
Michael Pauls
Germany
English to German
Old / new design? Sep 14, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

I can't.

I can answer closed questions in the new design, but not in the old V3 version ...

mp

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You're right, Cindy Sep 14, 2005

Cindy Chadd wrote:
I just experimented with this on two different closed questions (closed within the last 24 hours), and the "answer" button is still there and working.

I've just checked all three accessible designs choosing a specific closed English>German KudoZ question (I did submit a test answer, and it became visible as it should).

Result: the "Answer" button is available in the "Old Design" and new beta while it is missing in V3. So the call for reinstatement would be moot were it not for the fact that many ProZians are still using V3.

Steffen

[Edited at 2005-09-14 12:54]

Derek Gill Franßen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
New design Sep 14, 2005

Steffen Walter wrote:
So the call for reinstatement would be moot were it not for the fact that many ProZians are still using V3.

Well, I'll just have to change over to the new Beta design.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
No, it was not a good idea Sep 14, 2005

Was it such a good idea to block post-grading answers? No, it was not, regardless of which KudoZ design is being used. This feature should be in all designs.

I belive an answer that is posted post-grading should be marked as such. This will make it clear to any future viewer why this answer was not selected (in case it is a better answer than the selected one).

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Agree, Fuad Sep 14, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:
I belive an answer that is posted post-grading should be marked as such.

... perhaps by programming in a horizontal bar/line running across the page under the last answer given prior to grading, saying "This question was graded on {date, time}". All answers submitted at a later point in time would appear below this separator, and thus be identifiable as "post-grading" submissions.

My 2c,

Steffen

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:11
German to English
+ ...
Impact on prohibiting early grading Sep 14, 2005

If post-grading answers are possible, there is even less of a case for making early (e.g. less than 24 hours) grading impossible (discussed in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/36582
)
... and certainly I agree with the idea that post-grading answers should be identified as such (as proposed by Fuad and Steffen).

Oliver

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Blocking answerers from participating before the question is closed is still unfair Sep 14, 2005

Oliver Walter wrote:

If post-grading answers are possible, there is even less of a case for making early (e.g. less than 24 hours) grading impossible

To block answerers from participating after a question is closed makes no sense at all.

To block some potential answerers from participating before a question is closed (by closing it in less than 24 hours) is unfair to those potential answerers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

was it such a good idea to block post-grading answers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »