Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 19, 2005

This really alerted me. Who can explain this warning on my computer? I use Avast! virus software. When I downloaded the toolbar set up file, it prompted this:

Picture

To prevent picture distorting this page, I just post this link to the screen shot.

[Edited at 2005-09-19 00:26]

[Edited at 2005-09-19 00:48]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:26
German to English
KudoZ toolbar Sep 19, 2005

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

This really alerted me. Who can explain this warning on my computer. I use Avast! virus software. When I downloaded the toolbar set up file, it prompted this:

After I had installed the toolbar, the system crashed whenever I opened an online PDF file and I got a message to the effect that the toolbar was causing the problem. I was also unable to search PDF files. After I uninstalled the toolbar everything started working again.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
Might be related to browser Sep 19, 2005

I notice that Jianjun uses IE, and how about you, Kim? It might be that the toolbar needs further optimization for IE, because everyone I've so far heard having problems uses this browser. I, on the other hand, use Firefox, and experience no problem... except that, the toolbar doesn't work

[Edited at 2005-09-19 01:31]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:26
German to English
KudoZ toolbar Sep 19, 2005

Xola wrote:

I notice that Jianjun uses IE, and how about you, Kim? It might be that the toolbar needs further optimization for IE, because everyone I've so far heard having problems uses this browser.

You're right, Xola. I also use IE. You may have spotted the problem. I hope it gets fixed because I enjoyed having the toolbar.

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't open my pdf files either Sep 19, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Xola wrote:

I notice that Jianjun uses IE, and how about you, Kim? It might be that the toolbar needs further optimization for IE, because everyone I've so far heard having problems uses this browser.

You're right, Xola. I also use IE. You may have spotted the problem. I hope it gets fixed because I enjoyed having the toolbar.

I have already uninstalled the toolbar but still the pdf files from internet cannot be opened. This has never happened to me. I also use IE. Any idea?

I love the tool bar, too!

What can I do?

Inés

[Edited at 2005-09-19 23:40]

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Toolbar Sep 19, 2005

As you both say that you enjoy the toolbar, I understand it works with you. Most of the time mine doesn't. So, Firefox has problems, too! Whenever I enter something and hit the Search button, I get an Error Message - but at the same time I find myself directed to Proz.com, and search directly from the Kudoz menu, of course. In short, anyone else experiences this problem, namely, that the toolbar doesn't function, at all?

[Edited at 2005-09-19 04:34]

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My major concern is Adware Sep 19, 2005

I fear anything that contains Adware or something like that. Those things interfere with my system and I can't afford to have a system crash. So I didn't install the toolbar as soon as Avast! reported as I show you in that picture. This toolbar idea is great. I believe most people will enjoy using it. Can anyone who's very familiar with this software tell me whether that was a bad report from my anti-virus software or what? Really want to try it out.... See more
I fear anything that contains Adware or something like that. Those things interfere with my system and I can't afford to have a system crash. So I didn't install the toolbar as soon as Avast! reported as I show you in that picture. This toolbar idea is great. I believe most people will enjoy using it. Can anyone who's very familiar with this software tell me whether that was a bad report from my anti-virus software or what? Really want to try it out.Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 19:26
English
KudoZ toolbar(s) are not spyware Sep 19, 2005

Hi all!

As you both say that you enjoy the toolbar, I understand it works with you. Most of the time mine doesn't. So, Firefox has problems, too! Whenever I enter something and hit the Search button, I get an Error Message - but at the same time I find myself directed to Proz.com, and search directly from the KudoZ menu, of course. In short, anyone else experiences this problem, namely, that the toolbar doesn't function, at all?

Hi Xola, what error message do you receive when you search??

I fear anything that contains Adware or something like that. Those things interfere with my system and I can't afford to have a system crash. So I didn't install the toolbar as soon as Avast! reported as I show you in that picture. This toolbar idea is great. I believe most people will enjoy using it. Can anyone who's very familiar with this software tell me whether that was a bad report from my anti-virus software or what? Really want to try it out.

Hi Jianjun!

I wrote the KudoZ toolbar for FireFox, and my coworker wrote the KudoZ toolbar for Internet Explorer. I can guarentee you there is no spyware in either toolbar, they were developed in house and are spyware/adware free. Sometimes virus/spyware/adware scanner get "false positives", which is probably what you are getting here.

Best Regards,
Justin

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Sep 19, 2005

Hi Jianjun!

I wrote the KudoZ toolbar for FireFox, and my coworker wrote the KudoZ toolbar for Internet Explorer. I can guarentee you there is no spyware in either toolbar, they were developed in house and are spyware/adware free. Sometimes virus/spyware/adware scanner get "false positives", which is probably what you are getting here.

Best Regards,
Justin

Thanks Justin. Now I will give it a try.

[Edited at 2005-09-19 22:37]

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't install Sep 19, 2005

I stopped Avast! temporarily to download and install the toolbar. A DOS window flashed on and off, then everything was like before. No toolbar appeared in IE (I downloaded IE version for sure). I rebooted system and still no toolbar. I clicked on View -> tool bars menu but couldn't find the toolbar there.

I went to the control panel and had a look at install/uninstall menu, and I couldn't find the toolbar installed.

This is so strange and different from everyone's case
... See more
I stopped Avast! temporarily to download and install the toolbar. A DOS window flashed on and off, then everything was like before. No toolbar appeared in IE (I downloaded IE version for sure). I rebooted system and still no toolbar. I clicked on View -> tool bars menu but couldn't find the toolbar there.

I went to the control panel and had a look at install/uninstall menu, and I couldn't find the toolbar installed.

This is so strange and different from everyone's case above. Any suggestions please?
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Error message: Sep 20, 2005

Hi Justin,

justin wrote:

Hi Xola, what error message do you receive when you search??

This is the error message I get: "Please select a resource to search"

And the languages appear not-selected.

Thanks & regards!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz Toolbar Recognized as Adware

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »