Thread poster: PCovs

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 21:54
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 21, 2005

I wonder why many of the links I provide with answers are cut so short that you cannot use them?

When I enter the link again in the body of the answer they will however work perfectly, but it's a bit annoying that the room for links is so limited that many won't work, or is it just me? ;o)

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
They should work Sep 21, 2005

Links used to be displayed in full, but it caused problems with many people's browsers. It was changed a few months ago, but the way it is supposed to work is that only the display of the link is truncated. Clicking on it should still lead to the referenced url.
See http://www.proz.com/post/221909 for some discussion and explanation.

[Edited at 2005-09-21 20:37]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem Sep 21, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

Links used to be displayed in full, but it caused problems with many people's browsers. It was changed a few months ago, but the way it is supposed to work is that only the display of the link is truncated. Clicking on it should still lead to the referenced url.
See http://www.proz.com/post/221909 for some discussion and explanation.

[Edited at 2005-09-21 20:37]

I also believed that the link should work even if not displayed in full, but often with long links, when I click them to verify that they work, I get nothing or an error message or something.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Links do work in general BUT long links might be broken due to inserted blank spaces Sep 22, 2005

PCovs wrote:
I also believed that the link should work even if not displayed in full, but often with long links, when I click them to verify that they work, I get nothing or an error message or something.

Hi all,

First, GoodWords is right: in general, links do work despite their truncated display, which was implemented because of previous page display problems (the page would get excessively wide in case of long links quoted). So the shortening of the link display was actually a good move.

Second, when copying and pasting long links into the answer box, it might happen that blank spaces are inserted where there shouldn't be any. This happens frequently when quoting links that are broken into two lines because of their excessive length. In this case, it generally helps to check the link and post it once again after having removed the blank spaces manually (IOW, "glue" the two parts of the link together).

My 2c,

Steffen

P.S. Following Henry's posting, it turns out that I must have missed the point (or rather didn't read the initial message properly). While I thought that this was all about links provided in the answer box, I've now come to realise that the reference boxes were meant. Sorry for that.

[Edited at 2005-09-22 18:04]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:54
SITE FOUNDER
Reference links have been limited to 120 characters Sep 22, 2005

Reference links have been limited to 120 characters; if something longer was pasted, it was cut off. This was a poor design decision, we'll increase it to 255 characters in the next go-round.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Provided links cut too short in Kudoz

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs