Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Let's make askers to check the KOG before making a question ('that already happens')
Thread poster: Otilia Acosta
Otilia Acosta
Otilia Acosta  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2005

I think it would be a good idea to find a way to stop askers from making questions which have been previously answered, and already entered in the KOG. It is amazing how often askers make questions without checking first the KOG.
I find this very unprofessional and a waste of time for everybody.

[Edited at 2005-10-05 14:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-05 16:21]

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
We have suggested (and begged) for this Oct 5, 2005

but it is technically very complex, apparently, so whilst being on our wishlist, it won't be happening at any foreseeable date, if I recall correctly.
Or maybe someone up there has good news?
Angela

Otilia Acosta wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to find a way to stop askers from making questions which have been previously answered, and already entered in the KOG. It is amazing how often askers make questions without checking first the KOG.
I find this very unprofessional and a waste of time for everybody.

[Edited at 2005-10-05 14:14]

samnunns
samnunns
Local time: 06:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
They may want a different answer. Oct 5, 2005

I think askers should check KOG before asking their questions, just like they should do their own search with everything available to them. However, I don't think an asker should be stopped just because the question was previously answered before because there are chances that he/ she is not satisfied with them. Someone might give a better answer too.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:05
German to English
Make askers check the KOG when asking a question Oct 5, 2005

samnunns wrote:

However, I don't think an asker should be stopped just because the question was previously answered before because there are chances that he/ she is not satisfied with them. Someone might give a better answer too.

I don't think anyone wants to stop people from asking questions that have already been answered, samnunns. The idea being considered is to channel people to the KOG if they've entered a term that is already in the glossaries. If they don't find a solution to their particular problem there, when they enter their term potential answerers would know that the asker has consulted the glossaries and still needs to ask the question because the context is different or they are dissatisfied with what they found. The main idea is to reduce mindless, lazy or simply uninformed use of KudoZ.

[Edited at 2005-10-05 14:45]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Isn't it already in place ? Oct 5, 2005

I always use to check the glossary before posting a question, but errare humanum est, and the other day, I forgot to check the term.
And o surprise, after I clicked on the "Preview my question" button, I was prompted with a blue message saying more or less : this term is already in the glossary and the proposed translation was xxx.

Was it just a dream ? Note that it happened only once, and using the new beta design.

Sylvain, curious

Otilia Acosta
Otilia Acosta  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please, don't misunderstand me Oct 5, 2005

What I mean is not stopping askers from making questions. What I mean is to find a way to avoid repeated questions and answers. I know that there are a lot of askers who look up at the KOG first, and need a different answer, but there are a lot of them who never check first, and could find the correct answer just looking up at the KOG.

[Edited at 2005-10-05 15:12]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
French to English
I thought so too... Oct 5, 2005

Sylvain Leray wrote:

I always use to check the glossary before posting a question, but errare humanum est, and the other day, I forgot to check the term.
And o surprise, after I clicked on the "Preview my question" button, I was prompted with a blue message saying more or less : this term is already in the glossary and the proposed translation was xxx.

Was it just a dream ? Note that it happened only once, and using the new beta design.

Sylvain, curious

I thought I'd heard that this feature was on its way, too. Although I've not asked a question for a little while so I've not actually seen it.

Maybe it would be an idea, for a situation where this happens and the Asker decides to ask their question anyway, to have an automatic text that says something like "Asker aware that term already in glossary". This would save:
a) the Asker having to explain "I've looked in the glossary blah blah blah"
b) people using "Ask the Asker" to say "have you looked in the glossary - it's in there already"

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Automatic glossary check already functional Oct 5, 2005

As Sylvain has correctly pointed out, automatic glossary search has been implemented in the latest KudoZ release. It may need some further fine-tuning, but it is already functional, and according members' experience, it has already prevented quite a few duplicate questions.

Endre

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Fine idea Oct 5, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Maybe it would be an idea, for a situation where this happens and the Asker decides to ask their question anyway, to have an automatic text that says something like "Asker aware that term already in glossary". This would save:
a) the Asker having to explain "I've looked in the glossary blah blah blah"
b) people using "Ask the Asker" to say "have you looked in the glossary - it's in there already"

Great idea, although we have already numerous checkboxes to choose from. I support it

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
We already have it Oct 5, 2005

Every time a question is asked, a preview page is shown. If a term has been asked previously, it will be shown at this step. In other words, an archive search is now an integral part of the asking process. Repeat questions have been reduced as a result.

Don't take my word for it... Try it out!

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:05
German to English
KOG check Oct 5, 2005

Henry wrote:

Every time a question is asked, a preview page is shown. If a term has been asked previously, it will be shown at this step. In other words, an archive search is now an integral part of the asking process. Repeat questions have been reduced as a result.

Hi Henry, I just tried it and it doesn't work. I entered Verschwiegenheit (German to English) under Law, general law and was given the go-ahead to publish the question even though it's already in the glossaries.

samnunns
samnunns
Local time: 06:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
misunderstanding Oct 5, 2005

[quote]Otilia Acosta wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to find a way to "stop askers from making questions which have been previously answered, and already entered in the KOG. It is amazing how often askers make questions without checking first the KOG."

Well that's why I thought your intent was to try to "stop askers from asking the same questions again" instead of simply "avoiding repeated questions and answers". For the latter part I agree with you, just not the former part.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Well said Oct 5, 2005

samnunns wrote:

I think askers should check KOG before asking their questions, just like they should do their own search with everything available to them. However, I don't think an asker should be stopped just because the question was previously answered before because there are chances that he/ she is not satisfied with them. Someone might give a better answer too.

I also think that answerers should read each question thoroughly before making comments like "this is already in the glossary" - because sometimes, in such cases the asker specifically states that s/he already searched the glossary and did not feel that the other results fit his/her context.

I think some tolerance has to be shown on the part of answerers. First of all, there have been recent upgrades and I'm pretty sure that there are still bugs in the whole search function anyway - so it's entirely possible that someone could have searched and not come up with the results, even though they are in the system. Also, if people are new to the site, they are not going to necessarily know exactly how to use every feature, and little comments should only be posted in a nice way, otherwise you might scare people off. Not every new person is a troll, or someone just coming to abuse the KudoZ site - in fact I'm sure most are not.

Furthermore, people complain so much on these forums about askers, and the types of questions posted, but the fact remains that while answerers can choose to filter out askers, askers can not choose to filter out answerers - apparently each and every person on this site has the right to answer any question posted. I don't particularly understand why this imbalance exists, since limiting one would kind of indicate to me that it'd be fair to limit the other, but that's the way it is, I guess.

So more tolerance should be shown to askers, in general.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you for your excellent comment, Gad! Oct 6, 2005

gad wrote:

I think some tolerance has to be shown on the part of answerers... if people are new to the site, they are not going to necessarily know exactly how to use every feature, and little comments should only be posted in a nice way, otherwise you might scare people off.

We've all been "the new kid" somewhere, sometime, and it's not fun to be castigated for our ignorance. If I commit a faux pas, I need some kind person to point the way, not someone whose arrogance makes me want to crawl into a hole and never show my face again. Believe me, I've seen both kinds on KudoZ!

If there really is an automatic "search the glossaries" function on the "ask a question" page, I'm all for it. I also like Charlie's suggestion of having an automatic line of text (NOT an optional checkbox) stating that the asker consulted the glossaries.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Verschwiegenheit Oct 6, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Henry wrote:

Hi Henry, I just tried it and it doesn't work. I entered Verschwiegenheit (German to English) under Law, general law and was given the go-ahead to publish the question even though it's already in the glossaries.

Hi Kim,

Verschwiegenheit is not in the Kudoz Open Glossary yet. It does appear in some member glossaries, but those don't seem to be searched as part of the archive search.

Try using "Verschwiegenheitspflicht", which is in the KOG.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's make askers to check the KOG before making a question ('that already happens')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »