Mobile menu

Searching for abbreviations
Thread poster: Martina Frey

Martina Frey  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:09
Italian to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

I just happened to be searching KudoZ for an abbreviation, but KudoZ didn't show me any result for the one I gave in.
However, when I was searching google for it later on, it showed me that there has been a recent KudoZ question, indeed, for exatly the term I was looking for - and, obviously, the answer I needed.
Could just one of you explain to me how I must proceed when searching for an abbreviation in KudoZ to avoid unnecessary double questions?
Thanks a lot,
Martina

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
www.acronymfinder.com Oct 18, 2005

I don't know about KudoZ offhand, but just in case you don't know about this, there's a really good acronym finder here: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

(Und was Ähnliches auf Deutsch: www.abkuerzungen.de)

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Known shortcoming of current KudoZ search feature Oct 18, 2005

Hi Martina,

You seem to be referring to a known shortcoming of the currently implemented KudoZ search feature, i.e. its inability to retrieve two-letter/character abbreviations/acronyms. Three characters are currently set as a minimum to make the search work. As a result, a whole lot of two-letter abbreviations do not appear (many of them in the medical field AFAIK).

This flaw should be rectified.

Steffen

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
repeat the abbreviation? or add an asterisk * ? Oct 18, 2005

I came across the same problem recently. Some months ago I printed out an answer to add to my dictionary (and I've used it several times since... ) But the question came up again, and I was not able to refer the asker to the previous occasion - when in fact a better explanation was given.

I have an idea that someone once suggested repeating a two-letter abbreviation, so RP becomes RPRP, for instance.

I don't know how you would sort those from 'real' abbreviations with the same four letters.

Would it work if we added an asterisk - so RP became RP* ?

Some kind of automatic prompt would be necessary in the system both at the asking and the answering stages, as well as in searching, but I'm sure our obliging site staff could sort that one out if they have the time!

Getting the humans to use a system like that would be far more difficult.
(That said as one of the really hopeless humans myself, alas...)

[Edited at 2005-10-18 14:15]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use Google Oct 18, 2005

Martina Frey wrote:
However, when I was searching google for it later on, it showed me that there has been a recent KudoZ question, indeed, for exatly the term I was looking for - and, obviously, the answer I needed.

Until recently, when the new advanced ProZ term search was implemented, I regularly used Google for KudoZ searches, precisely because it does perform so well. It seems that it is still useful for covering this deficiency of the ProZ term search.

Ian Winick wrote:
I don't know about KudoZ offhand, but just in case you don't know about this, there's a really good acronym finder here: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

It's often of little help when the acronym isn't English. So far I haven't found a similar utility for Spanish.

[Edited at 2005-10-18 16:05]

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Abbreviations Oct 18, 2005

Martina, what's the abbreviation you're looking for?

Martina Frey  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your help Oct 18, 2005

Thank you, Kim, for your offer to help me. It was "s.m.i." from Italian to German, but meanwhile some very competent collegues could help me find the right term "i.d.g.F.", so this is settled. However, I knew that this question had been posted before, and the term was not unknown to me, I just had a kind of mental block after hours of working. But there was no chance of searching KudoZ for this term in one way or another.
What would you recommend to do next time in a similar situation? Searching google for KudoZ questions as proposed?

I'm glad to see that a searching feature for acronyms would be appreciated not only by me.
A restful night to all of you,
Martina

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Confirmation Oct 18, 2005

Hi Martina,
You're right, it can't be found under Italian to German, but it is in the glossary under Italian to English.

i.d.g.F.
in der geltenden Fassung

http://www.abkuerzungen.de/pc/html/result.php?abbreviation=idgF&language=DE&x=26&y=10

as amended
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/341860

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for abbreviations

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs