Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2005

I am unable to read words in Spanish with accents or tildes. Usually, a box appears in place of both the accented/tilded letter and of several other letters, often rendering the word completely illegible.

Is there a way to resolve this problem.

I apologize if this topic has been addressed before and am willing to submit to 40 lashes for not having had the patience to search through the entire archive.

Best regards,

Robert A. Forstag, MA
... See more
I am unable to read words in Spanish with accents or tildes. Usually, a box appears in place of both the accented/tilded letter and of several other letters, often rendering the word completely illegible.

Is there a way to resolve this problem.

I apologize if this topic has been addressed before and am willing to submit to 40 lashes for not having had the patience to search through the entire archive.

Best regards,

Robert A. Forstag, MA
ATA-Certified
Spanish-into-English
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:35
English to Romanian
Have you tried to change the encoding? Nov 11, 2005

Go to View - Encoding in your browser's menu and choose the encoding according to the language of that particular page.
If this does not work... I can't think of anything else.

ForexTrader1
ForexTrader1
Local time: 18:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Browser settings Nov 12, 2005

You need the change the View-Encoding in your Explorer or other browser. I often have to switch between western and Thai options, as I need to see the Thai fonts on Thai sites I visit. If I forget to swtich back, the French fonts / accents appear as you've described (boxes etc). A quick switch back solves the problem.
You can try a couple of settings to see if one solves your problems. Good luck.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 12, 2005

Thank you Maria and Forex. Problem solved.

Best regards,

Bob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't read words with accents/tildes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »