Editing process done through Kudoz questions
Thread poster: Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Dec 7, 2005

Dear all,
These last days in the Albanian kudoz fora we have been bombarded by a Russian speaker who has been asking a lot of Albanian expressions. We found out later that she is working for Ectaco Dictionary, for creating an English to Albanian dictionary.

I confronted her to why she has been asking so many questions when she does not even speak Albanian. Her answer was:
…we have a translation from a Native Albanian translator, but we are currently proofreading this translation (as it leaves much to ne desired

When one of the translators asked her why she did not hire a professional editor for editing it, this was her answer:
The freelancer we worked with certainly lacks proficiency. We shall choose a better one next time. But still we can't pay double, so we decided at least to proofread the text.

According to her logic, since her editor lacks proficiency, then she can do a better job then. Notice, that she is not Albanian and does not speak Albanian, so she is undertaking this difficult task of proofreading for Ectaco Dictionary ... all by herself (and maybe by colleagues who do not speak Albanian.)

I have my doubts about her story: first she chooses a bad translator, then even a worse editor. Then she is fixing it by doing it herself?

Is it just me who has a problem with this? Why should she be allowed to undermine the profession of an editor during the translation process? Please let me know your thoughts on this. If I am wrong, I will humbly accept it and go on with my other business.

Eva

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:53
German to English
Getting work done through KudoZ Dec 7, 2005

Eva T wrote:

These last days in the Albanian kudoz fora we have been bombarded by a Russian speaker who has been asking a lot of Albanian expressions. We found out later that she is working for Ectaco Dictionary, for creating an English to Albanian dictionary.

Notice, that she is not Albanian and does not speak Albanian, so she is undertaking this difficult task of proofreading for Ectaco Dictionary ... all by herself (and maybe by colleagues who do not speak Albanian.)

Then she is fixing it by doing it herself?

Is it just me who has a problem with this? Why should she be allowed to undermine the profession of an editor during the translation process?

Hi Eva,
But she's not "doing it by herself"; she's taking advantage of KudoZ participants to get the job done for free. And, of course, I shudder to think what that "job" will look like. It seems like a clear violation of the spirit of KudoZ, if not the rules as they stand now.

xxxElena Sgarbo  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree Dec 9, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote: ...she's not "doing it by herself"; she's taking advantage of KudoZ participants to get the job done for free. It seems like a clear violation of the spirit of KudoZ, if not the rules as they stand now.

And it begs the question: if the end client comes across the series of KudoZ questions -which could easily happen if (s)he checks terms from the final document on the Internet-, what concept will the client have of the Asker's professional ethics? (Whether the Asker has used a nickname or not, the client would be able to identify her from her questions).

Elena

Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Elena and Kim Dec 15, 2005

I also thank all those who have contacted me privately regarding this matter and especially those who have expressed their concerns about Ectaco's way of working. I am glad to know that I am not alone thinking that it is not right to get a free translation or free editing using KudoZ here in proz. I hope Ectaco will change this method and will finally hire professional translator to assist them with their dictionaries. I am not sure if this applies to other languages, but Ectaco dictionaries from English into Albanian are not reliable: they are full of gross errors.

Best regards,
Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing process done through Kudoz questions

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs