Mobile menu

Gone blind to kudos? (staff: 'fixed - thanks!')
Thread poster: Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:30
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2006

Does anyone know why I can’t see some kudos questions for quite a while after they’ve been posted?

I’ve noticed this a few times, and sometimes I can see the latest question if I view the kudos page but not on the home page.

For example, the last Ita-Eng question just appeared on the kudos page half an hour after it was posted (it already has 4 answers) so I didn’t see this question for about 30 minutes while others obviously did, and I still can’t see it on the home page.
Last kudos question I can/can’t see: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1219895

Sometimes refreshing the browser page will make the question appear, then disappear.

I checked my kudos dashboard and the only restrictive setting is “Question types: Ignore questions that are regarded as possibly offensive.” I unchecked this and it made no difference. After saving the dashboard settings and exiting, when I open the dashboard again, this filter has reactivated itself. I don’t really want this filter, but it seems to want me.

Dashboard settings:
General Preferences
Preferences applied to your KudoZ notifications in all language pairs
Notifications Off
Asker types All askers
Question types All Ignore questions that are regarded as possibly offensive

Pair-specific Preferences
The following preferences are limited to the pair shown

Italian to English
Notifications None
Categories Both
Fields [Edit] All fields

I use Firefox, but I tried opening the pages in Explorer, same problem.
The same thing happens to the topic I just posted on Firefox extensions. I can/can’t see that either.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Jo

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-03 14:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I think it has to do with the refresh settings of your browser Jan 3, 2006

I assume that when you visit a page, a copy is saved to your temporary files (this is a feature meant to enhance the speed for loading pages, I think). However, the inconvenience is that when you display pages that are updated frequently (like ProZ), instead of getting the current page, you get the one stored in your computer. Manually refreshing the page should work, and it might be possible that when you load the page next time you get again the one stored in your computer, which means you have to refresh again. Try searching through your browser options to disable possible options that store pages on your computer (e.g. in IE you have under Tools - Options a group for Temporary Internet Files, there you have Settings, which opens a dialog with options for refreshing pages. Mine is set to Automatically). Hope that helps.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Refreshing Jan 3, 2006

Hi Elvira,
Thanks for the feedback.
I checked the Explorer settings and they’re the same as yours; set to refresh the page automatically. Both Firefox and Explorer seem to act the same.

If I refresh the page I will see the threads in questions about once every 5-10 refreshes, but they disappear again next time I refresh the page.

If I can’t see the thread on the home page I won’t see it browsing the site until I open the section it’s in. For example to see this thread I have to browse to and open the Kudos forum section.
When I open this section I see the Gone blind to kudos thread, then if I refresh the page it disappears and I see the Kudos points thread as first thread.
I refresh about 10 times and the Gone blind to kudos thread appears once to disappear again next time I refresh.

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same thing here Jan 3, 2006

The Kudoz mystery has been happening for many weeks, but it was enough with refreshing once. Not only with the questions, but I had to refresh to see the new answers posted.

Today I tried to grade my Kudoz questions and it doesn't work, and it happens with the fora, as well: I had to refresh like 5 times to see this thread after I read it half and hour ago!!

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Here too Jan 3, 2006

Most of the time all questions posted after 8:29 am (site time) are invisible when I refresh. It's only been like this today.

The couple of questions I've answered since that time are also invisible when I view my "answered" tab (FYI).

[Edited at 2006-01-03 12:26]

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Maybe someone should move this posting to "ProZ.com bugs"? Jan 3, 2006

-

BrigitteHilgner  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Latest Kudoz questions - where are you? Jan 3, 2006

I have had the same problem for about a week - it is particularly pronounced today (3.1.2006). I'll write directly to Kudoz - maybe someone can help?!

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Alerted ProZ.com staff to this thread Jan 3, 2006

Hi all,

FYI, I've alerted staff to this thread whilst also referring them back to a support ticket re. the same issue that I had submitted earlier (in mid-December). AFAIK, this problem has been persisting for the last couple of weeks, albeit with changing intensity.

Steffen

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks, I thought I was going mad! Jan 3, 2006

Many thanks. I also sent a support request before reading this forum.
Even the forum pages don't seem to be updating properly.
I guess I can postpone that check-up with the eye-doctor!
Ciao

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Same here Jan 3, 2006

Thank you for pointing this, I notice the same here since today morning.

Sylvain

Christian
English to German
+ ...
I'm not alone. :-) Jan 3, 2006

I wanted to ask the same question. I've had this problem for quite a while, too. Hope it will be fixed asap.

justin C
United States
Local time: 10:30
English
Delay between posting KudoZ question and seeing it in question list should be fixed now Jan 3, 2006

Hi all,

We were experiencing some lag between databases this morning, the problem should be resolved now, and I will be keeping an eye out for the problem the rest of the day.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused anybody.

Best Regards,
Justin

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Looks OK now Jan 3, 2006

... after some outage.

@all: good to know how many other KudoZ addicts are out there - I suspect it is mostly a means of staying intellectually awake

[Edited at 2006-01-03 20:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gone blind to kudos? (staff: 'fixed - thanks!')

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs