https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/41003-kudoz_providing_origin_of_the_text_and_target_audience.html

Kudoz - providing origin of the text and target audience
Thread poster: Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 5, 2006

wouldn t it be important the the asker, establishes at least origin of the text (country, etc) and target market?

Some posters haven t got even a complete profile.

Allie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-05 13:39]

Prokop Vantuch
Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:35
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
how can we force the askers to do that? Jan 5, 2006

wouldn t it be important the the asker, establishes at least origin of the text (country, etc) and target market?

Sometimes it could be important, sometimes you don't need it. Anyway, I think the asker should add as much additional information to his question as possible. All that makes it much easier for the Prozians when helping him/her with his/her question.
However, I know that many askers do not provide almost any additional information (even any context is often missing). But you cannot force them, there's no way to tell them to add more information, I'm afraid.

Prokop

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
There IS a way, Prokop Jan 6, 2006

Prokop Vantuch wrote:
However, I know that many askers do not provide almost any additional information (even any context is often missing). But you cannot force them, there's no way to tell them to add more information, I'm afraid.
Prokop

Of course there is a way: you may use the "Ask Asker" feature (one of the buttons underneath the question context field) to request additional information. Some askers will learn that lesson along the way and subsequently post higher-quality questions, some will not.

Best,
Steffen

Prokop Vantuch
Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I see your point Jan 6, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

Of course there is a way: you may use the "Ask Asker" feature...

Thanks, Steffen, for your post. I see your point and I know the "Ask Asker" button very well. I had to use it several times. However, in my post I was trying to say that I would like the askers to write more context without me (or anyone else) asking them to do that. Then it would be much easier. When saying "there's no way to tell them to add more information", I meant "to tell them before they post their question".
Anyway, we all can hope that the askers will learn the lesson, as you wrote.

Prokop

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 11:35
Member (2003)
French to English
I agree that you should not force this Jan 7, 2006

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

Sometimes it could be important, sometimes you don't need it. Anyway, I think the asker should add as much additional information to his question as possible. All that makes it much easier for the Prozians when helping him/her with his/her question.

Prokop

Right, you can not force this. However, isn't this an option already? At least for the target dialect, if the target language is English.

I really think that if someone does not like a question then simply do not answer. That is the best solution for that individual, and for the Asker. Really.

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My intention is just: Jan 7, 2006

To receive from the asker more info as to LOCALIZE THE ANSWER MORE ACCURATELY.

I don t mean to turn this into a Proz rule, but a suggestion.

Thanks.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:35
German to English
Education Jan 7, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:

To receive from the asker more info as to LOCALIZE THE ANSWER MORE ACCURATELY.

I don t mean to turn this into a Proz rule, but a suggestion.

Yes, Alicia, you've certainly got the right idea. Some askers start out submitting very poorly thought-out questions. It's a matter of experience. The asker may be new to the profession and simply doesn't realize how important context is or even what context is. I know because I was there myself several years ago. Now I know that asking a question properly can take a lot of work. I also know how important it is not to ask a question as soon as a difficult term arises in the text I'm working on because the meaning often becomes clear after I've worked through the whole text.

When you raise these issues you are helping to educate people new to the profession of translation. Thank you for raising this point once again. We don't help newbies by ignoring them.

USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:35
German to English
"Context police" Jan 9, 2006

I'd like to put in a dissenting voice as regards the question of "context". I feel that answerers on kudoz bang on about it far too much.

Firstly context is not always essential and the meaning of a word - particularly if it is technical - may be straightforward.

But even if context could help there may be very good reasons why an asker doesn't provide all that an answerer would ideally want. Here are 3 I can think of: (1) client confidentiality (2) the source text may
... See more
I'd like to put in a dissenting voice as regards the question of "context". I feel that answerers on kudoz bang on about it far too much.

Firstly context is not always essential and the meaning of a word - particularly if it is technical - may be straightforward.

But even if context could help there may be very good reasons why an asker doesn't provide all that an answerer would ideally want. Here are 3 I can think of: (1) client confidentiality (2) the source text may not provide any and (3) lack of time.

I would wholeheartedly endorse gad's advice that if you feel a question doesn't have enough context, don't answer. That's better for both parties.
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I beg to differ, Bill Jan 9, 2006

Bill Smyth wrote:

That may be so but ...

... there are loads of technical terms that are as ambiguous as it possibly gets - as long as there is no context

But even if context could help there may be very good reasons why an asker doesn't provide all that an answerer would ideally want. Here are 3 I can think of: (1) client confidentiality (2) the source text may not provide any and (3) lack of time.

My comments:

(1) The asker could put in a short remark that he/she is unable to provide context due to confidentiality (or use a similar text available in the public domain to illustrate the problem). This would take out unnecessary tension.

(2) While there is the very remote possibility that the source text per se may not provide any context - which I believe is impossible, TBH (there's always some, starting with the type of document), there's also surrounding information that is usually available (specific field, industry in which the text is being used etc.).

(3) My apologies for putting this so bluntly but "lack of time" is a lame excuse in my opinion. Asking questions properly always takes time, and we should provide guidance to askers (in particular to those new to KudoZ) as to what a properly asked question should contain.

My 2 cents worth,
Steffen

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Ask asker" as a coaching tool... Jan 11, 2006

...and we should provide guidance to askers (in particular to those new to KudoZ) as to what a properly asked question should contain.

Voila ...

PS: I kept shorting and shorting my comment, because Steffen said it more or less all;)

[Edited at 2006-01-11 23:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz - providing origin of the text and target audience

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »