Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Disagree or simply...find a better answer?
Thread poster: trufflejus
Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 20:59
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
'Disagree' a misnomer? Jan 14, 2006

Like others above, I think that 'disagree' can sometimes be justified simply because one knows that an answer is patently wrong, even if one doesn't have the specific knowledge (or momentary inspiration...) to provide a better one --- and I'd always prefer not to enter a potentially equally misleading answer just for the sake of it!

It's sad but true that there are a lot of no doubt well-meaning people out there who make quite a habit of supplying implausible answers, or who clearly
... See more
Like others above, I think that 'disagree' can sometimes be justified simply because one knows that an answer is patently wrong, even if one doesn't have the specific knowledge (or momentary inspiration...) to provide a better one --- and I'd always prefer not to enter a potentially equally misleading answer just for the sake of it!

It's sad but true that there are a lot of no doubt well-meaning people out there who make quite a habit of supplying implausible answers, or who clearly haven't read (or maybe understood) the question properly. In such cases, I feel negative input is justified, indeed, called for --- and I'm certainly not shy about sticking my neck out to be the sole 'disagreer' amongst a host of 'agreers'

I sometimes use a 'disagree' to quibble with one particular aspect of an answerer's contribution, and in particular, if there is an error in the all-important headword field; sorry, it's easy enough to post an 'added note' later with the benefit of hindsight, but the value of a disagree can only be to help an Asker avoid choosing a disastrously wrong answer, and it's so often JUST the headword they read...

However, it is true that some people wield their 'disagrees' like a weapon, punishing or wreaking vengeance with them; and also that other people (or maybe the same ones...?) seem to regard a 'disagree' as some kind of impeachment of their personal integrity or knowledge.

As I've said before in a previous forum, I think it would be better if we could find a less emotionally-loaded word than 'disagree' --- my suggestion of "don't support" didn't unfortunately generate much interest. Or could we have 'degrees of disagree' (like confidence levels) --- I'm loth to complicate the already sufficiently cumbersome KudoZ system, but it would sometimes be helpful to be able to choose between 'disagree slightly or partially' and 'very strongly dispute this term'.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disagree or simply...find a better answer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »