Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:48
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2006

Aren't we allowed to squash questions anymore? I may be stupid, but I cannot find the `Squash' button in any design anymore...

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 17:48
German to Romanian
+ ...
interesting Jan 13, 2006

I just saw the squash button in a question that was closed by the asker before it received any answers (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1228869), but after going to another question, I saw no squash button.

[Edited at 2006-01-13 19:04]

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really strange... Jan 13, 2006

Elvira, when I follow your link, I see the Squash button. But not in other questions. Strange, indeed...

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
I just saw the squash button in a question that was closed by the asker before it received any answers (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1228869), but after going to another question, I saw no squash button.

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
Everything is fine, as far as I know Jan 13, 2006

The squash button appears only for questions which haven't received any answers. Once a question has received an answer, it cannot be squashed anymore, so the button disappears.
I checked some questions and it is like I said.

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense... Jan 13, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:
The squash button appears only for questions which haven't received any answers.

Thank you, Maria! Yes, it makes sense. I just haven't noticed the change probably...

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 16:48
French to English
+ ...
Not necessarily... Jan 14, 2006

Earlier today, I saw a Kudoz question that was posted twice. No answers were given and I still couldn't find the squash button.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
So tell me once again, who can squash? Jan 14, 2006

Who can squash questions? Apparently, not me.

I just went to KudoZ and looked for a question with no answers. There was no squash button that I could see. I have never, in fact, seen a squash button. Is squashing a privilege granted by invitation? I see that those who have posted on this forum are not moderators, so that can't be the deciding factor.

It's not that I particularly want to squash any questions.

[Edited at 2006-01-14 03:39]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think it requires a certain threshold of kudoz points Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

Who can squash questions? Apparently, not me.

I think it requires a certain threshold of kudoz points, 500 I think, before you have the privilege of squashing questions.

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
Who can squash Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
Is squashing a privilege granted by invitation?

The right to squash and to reclassify questions as pro/non-pro is granted to members who have at least 50 kudoz points and who pass a little 10-question test. In other words, you have to apply, pass the test and then you'll be granted that "privilege". But I am so sorry that I can't find the link where you can apply. I did it a long time ago. It used to be in the How-to section, in the article http://www.proz.com/howto/327 but I can't see it anymore. Maybe you can see the "apply" link, if you haven't applied yet.

[Edited at 2006-01-14 09:59]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you to both Jan 14, 2006

Thanks, Balasubramaniam and Maria. As I said, I don't particularly desire to squash questions, just was curious about the "squash button" that others see (sometimes) and I don't. But I might as well take the test!

I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it? I know I've seen my name on a question as "reclassified as pro by JaneTranslates" or something of the sort. And I
... See more
Thanks, Balasubramaniam and Maria. As I said, I don't particularly desire to squash questions, just was curious about the "squash button" that others see (sometimes) and I don't. But I might as well take the test!

I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it? I know I've seen my name on a question as "reclassified as pro by JaneTranslates" or something of the sort. And I never did anything except happen to be the 3rd voter.

Probably, if I would take the time to visit every page on this website and read everything, instead of (for instance) reading so many forums, I would find the answers to lots of my questions!
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
About reclassifying Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it?

Anyone can vote.
But, when you have the right to reclassify, a Mark pro/non-pro button is visible, and you can reclassify without any votes, with no more than a click on that button. That's the difference

[Edited at 2006-01-14 14:01]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
about reclassifying Jan 14, 2006

I see. Thanks! Actually, I think I prefer just voting. What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro, for the extra prestige of Pro-level KudoZ?

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
well... Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro, for the extra prestige of Pro-level KudoZ?

Than a moderator should take action. But I don't think there would be so many cases.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A person who answers a question shouldn't have this right... Jan 15, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro

That is an interesting point. The system should prevent those who answer a particular question from reclassifying it as pro, and the person who has reclassified it from answering the question. Don't you think so?

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree, Balasubramaniam! Jan 15, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:

JaneTranslates wrote:

What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro

That is an interesting point. The system should prevent those who answer a particular question from reclassifying it as pro, and the person who has reclassified it from answering the question. Don't you think so?

(I love writing your name! This time I didn't have to click the "Back" button to check the spelling. ;-D )

Yes, I fully agree. But that is not the current situation. Just yesterday (or the day before) I saw a question with only one answer, and the answerer had voted to reclassify the question as Pro. S/he may have done so in all sincerity, but I don't think it looks right and I wouldn't do it.

[Edited at 2006-01-15 19:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

`Squash' is gone...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »