Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
KudoZ posting, same question same asker
Thread poster: Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

My doubt is whether it is possible for an asker to post the same question within a brief period of time (5 days). I haven't found this information (KudoZ rules, FAQ), so I suppose it is possible.

If any moderators can help me I will appreciate it.

Fred

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
And why would you ask Jan 24, 2006

..same question after 5 days, I wonder?

Magda

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

I assume you're wondering why someone else has reposted? Jan 24, 2006

I'd recommened contacting the moderator of the language pair in question.

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doubt Jan 24, 2006

Hi Magda,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I am asking because I have provided an answer for a question and today I find this asker has posted the same question, even without closing the previous one (without grading).

I think this is wrong for obvious reasons (duplication of points, polluting KudoZ database, etc) but I couldn't find any info on this in the site, so I contacted one of the moderators of the question but still got no response (it is not th
... See more
Hi Magda,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I am asking because I have provided an answer for a question and today I find this asker has posted the same question, even without closing the previous one (without grading).

I think this is wrong for obvious reasons (duplication of points, polluting KudoZ database, etc) but I couldn't find any info on this in the site, so I contacted one of the moderators of the question but still got no response (it is not the first time).

I've been more lucky in the past with the forum so this is my doubt.

Fred
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Yolanda Jan 24, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

I'd recommened contacting the moderator of the language pair in question.

Already have but no answer

Fred

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
no good answer? Jan 24, 2006

Perhaps she/he considered none of the answers fitted in the context, but if that is the case, she/he should say so and/or close the question without grading. I don't master the Kudoz section, but perhaps that could be a reason.

Verónica

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Newbie / not registered asker? Jan 24, 2006

I've seen this happening from time to time, especially with unregistered askers who apparently can't find their previous question anymore and, instead of reviewing the answers they got send by email, simply open the question anew. From time to time, I've closed the new question referring to the previous, not closed question with suitable answers but this is often not possible as answers to questions are most of the time provided within two minutes, especially when it is an easy question.
<
... See more
I've seen this happening from time to time, especially with unregistered askers who apparently can't find their previous question anymore and, instead of reviewing the answers they got send by email, simply open the question anew. From time to time, I've closed the new question referring to the previous, not closed question with suitable answers but this is often not possible as answers to questions are most of the time provided within two minutes, especially when it is an easy question.

What you could do (apart from making the moderator for this question aware of this), use "Ask the asker" for reminding the asker of the KudoZ rules by providing him with the link (www.proz.com/kudozrules). It is a common problem that a lot of askers will ignore this, but at least you tried.
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newbie, not registered, 'the usual suspects' :) Jan 24, 2006

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Dierkschnieder wrote:
What you could do (apart from making the moderator for this question aware of this),

I have already contacted one pair moderator with no success.

Ingo Dierkschnieder wrote:
use "Ask the asker" for reminding the asker of the KudoZ rules by providing him with the link (www.proz.com/kudozrules). It is a common problem that a lot of askers will ignore this, but at least you tried.

I thought of this but the thing is I have read through KudoZ rules (over and over again) and I can't find the rule for this particular issue. If this is actually a rule, would you mind giving me the number, pls? I feel like I have read something about this before, somewhere, but I can't find it (Amazing!).

Thanks
Fred

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try another Mod Jan 24, 2006

Fred Neild wrot

I think this is wrong for obvious reasons (duplication of points, polluting KudoZ database, etc) but I couldn't find any info on this in the site, so I contacted one of the moderators of the question but still got no response (it is not the first time).

Fred

Hi, Fred!

How are you doing?

Have you tried to contact some other moderator? In my pair I have had two or three mods, now there are two, and as one of them never answer I tried the other one and it worked! It also worked contacting another one not belonging to that group!

(Overloaded with work? Who knows?)

Kindest regards!

Inés

Antoinette Verburg
Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:28
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Repetition: reason for squashing Jan 24, 2006

Hi Fred,

I can't find anything about this in the Kudoz rules either, but I do know that repetition is one of the reasons why a question can be 'squashed': http://www.proz.com/howto/327.
However, this article only says something about repetition due to reloading the submit page... It doesn't say anything about intentional repetition after several days. Still, I would squash it...
See more
Hi Fred,

I can't find anything about this in the Kudoz rules either, but I do know that repetition is one of the reasons why a question can be 'squashed': http://www.proz.com/howto/327.
However, this article only says something about repetition due to reloading the submit page... It doesn't say anything about intentional repetition after several days. Still, I would squash it(unless an answer has been given).
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing to do Nothing wrong with it, it seems... Jan 24, 2006

Ines Garcia Botana wrote:
Have you tried to contact some other moderator? In my pair I have had two or three mods, now there are two, and as one of them never answer I tried the other one and it worked!

Hi Inés

It is very tyring to keep contacting moderators and don't get an answer, even when some of them are quite active in the forum. I am very busy too. As you know I even had to work last Saturday AND Sunday.

I usually get feedback from other moderators in the forum, like this time.

Antoinette Verburg wrote:
I would squash it (unless an answer has been given).

An answer has been given, actually more than one.

The thing is, even if I had the privilege to squash it, nothing seems to be wrong with this, according to KudoZ rules.

Fred

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
You are absolutely right Jan 24, 2006

Hi Fred,

You are absolutely right, there is actually no explicit point in the KudoZ rules that says that you can't post a question twice. I think this falls under "common sense".

However, point 2.7 of the KudoZ rules could be read as to refer to this situation:

"2.7 - One posting must be made for each term question. Posting multiple questions within the same posting is not permitted, since it interferes with the process of making glossary entries."
... See more
Hi Fred,

You are absolutely right, there is actually no explicit point in the KudoZ rules that says that you can't post a question twice. I think this falls under "common sense".

However, point 2.7 of the KudoZ rules could be read as to refer to this situation:

"2.7 - One posting must be made for each term question. Posting multiple questions within the same posting is not permitted, since it interferes with the process of making glossary entries."

Although this applies more to asking just one term per posting, this also says "one (!) posting must be made for each term question." This might be picky, but you could read it as saying that multiple postings for one question are not allowed.

Antoinette's suggestion might also be a solution: you could refer to Henry's How-To regarding squashing questions which would apply to this situation as the question is definitely a repetition (question same as previous, in this case as previous asked by asker).

As regards writing to a moderator, you have to excuse the moderators who are, after all, also only freelancers and might be busy or might not have checked their emails and thus don't know about your alert to the situation. I am sure that sooner or later you will get an answer although the moderator might not be able to do more than you can (especially when an answer has been given to the question).

Kind regards,
Ingo
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already warned asker Jan 24, 2006

Well, I have decided to warn the asker about the duplicate.

It took me some time to see this duplicate because I had already filtered this asker.

Thanks all

Fred

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 20:28
Chinese to English
link to the previous question? remind asker to check Proz term search? Jan 25, 2006

you can 'answer' it with a link to the previous question...

askers are supposed to (have to?) check Proz term search before they post, so it shouldn't happen but occasionally it does...
-> remind the asker, 'has been asked before''check Proz term search before posting'??

we sometimes do this in the ChineseEnglish language pair - it seems to work

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no answer Jan 25, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

you can 'answer' it with a link to the previous question...

Hi Lesley

I have included the link and been very polite (this is one of my New Year resolutions, TRYING to be more polite at Proz.com)

Still no answer from asker or moderator

Fred

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ posting, same question same asker

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »