https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/41810-is_this_abuse_of_the_close_without_grading_option.html

Is this abuse of the "close without grading" option?
Thread poster: Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

A question that I suggested an answer for in the Swedish-English pair has been "just closed" without any feedback. It is not obvious why no answer was chosen. The asker has "just closed" 24 out of 146 questions asked. The ratio of "just closed" to "graded" questions seems excessive to me. What do others think?

[Edited at 2006-01-25 20:43]

[Edited at 2006-01-26 10:50]

[Edited at 2006-01-26 10:53]

[Edited at 2006-0
... See more
A question that I suggested an answer for in the Swedish-English pair has been "just closed" without any feedback. It is not obvious why no answer was chosen. The asker has "just closed" 24 out of 146 questions asked. The ratio of "just closed" to "graded" questions seems excessive to me. What do others think?

[Edited at 2006-01-26 19:01]
Collapse

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
This is definitely abuse of the option Jan 25, 2006

You are absolutely right, if there was at least one suitable answer and the asker didn't give any reason for closing the question without picking the answer he is abusing this option that just should be used when no suitable answer was given. It doesn't matter if the asker has done that before or how many times he has done that, once is once too many.

Please make a moderator aware of this so he can contact the asker about this. Also, what I would suggest, block his questions from no
... See more
You are absolutely right, if there was at least one suitable answer and the asker didn't give any reason for closing the question without picking the answer he is abusing this option that just should be used when no suitable answer was given. It doesn't matter if the asker has done that before or how many times he has done that, once is once too many.

Please make a moderator aware of this so he can contact the asker about this. Also, what I would suggest, block his questions from now on and hope that others follow suit because the asker will not like it when nobody provides an answer to his question.

Best wishes,
Ingo
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
How do you expect us to judge without knowing the question and the answers proffered? Jan 25, 2006

Please provide a link to the question!

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
KudoZ rule 4.4 Jan 26, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:

Michele can't provide the requested link, as this would go against KudoZ rule 4.4 that states

4.4 - Commenting on an asker's profile, his/her decision to post a certain question, to grade a certain way, or to make a certain glossary entry, is strictly forbidden.

By the way, I have asked her to edit her first posting, deleting the link she added today.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

[Edited at 2006-01-26 18:53]

Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:42
Danish to English
+ ...
It happened to me too Jan 27, 2006

It happens often with a person who asks a question and there were 2 or 3 good answers, but not exactly the word the asker used and they closed it without grading. Even when they gave a grade they only gave half the points. It puts a real damper on your enthusiasm to answer the questions. If someones asks for help with a word and the answers are in the ball park then shouldn't someone get some points?

Also often in my languages they ask only for a native speaker of the one languag
... See more
It happens often with a person who asks a question and there were 2 or 3 good answers, but not exactly the word the asker used and they closed it without grading. Even when they gave a grade they only gave half the points. It puts a real damper on your enthusiasm to answer the questions. If someones asks for help with a word and the answers are in the ball park then shouldn't someone get some points?

Also often in my languages they ask only for a native speaker of the one language when a non-native could answer as good if not better because the word is uncommon or a made-up word in the source language. This also dampens my enthusiasm. Having worked in the country I know that they often use the other language or another made-up word for those terms anyway.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grading a question and making a glossary entry is helpful for future askers Jan 27, 2006

Jande wrote:

It happens often with a person who asks a question and there were 2 or 3 good answers, but not exactly the word the asker used and they closed it without grading.

An unusually high percentage of an asker's questions which were "just closed" leads me to suspect that more of these questions could have been graded, and the answerers' efforts acknowledged.

Feedback from an asker is important for future askers, even if the asker found an answer elsewhere, or the asker chose not to use any of the suggested answers.

If any of the suggested answers are correct, or could be helpful to future askers, the question should be graded so that a term can be entered into the glossary.

[Edited at 2006-01-27 07:43]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 07:52]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 21:29]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 20:42
Member (2003)
French to English
I think that this is for a moderator, in private, NOT for the forum Jan 27, 2006

Michele Fauble wrote:

[Edited at 2006-01-26 19:01]

This is highly inappropriate to post on a forum. Ask a moderator.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
She should have just made a moderator aware of this without starting this thread Jan 27, 2006

Ingo Dierkschnieder wrote:

Please make a moderator aware of this so he can contact the asker about this.

Yes, this is the appropriate course of action. A forum thread is not. The forum is to discuss general issues, not to point out specific situations. That is highly inappropriate and in very poor taste.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
No link should be provided Jan 27, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:

Forums should not link to specific questions. A specific question should be directed to the moderator. Period.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Thank you, twoo2tango Jan 27, 2006

two2tango wrote:

Sven Petersson wrote:

Michele can't provide the requested link, as this would go against KudoZ rule 4.4 that states

4.4 - Commenting on an asker's profile, his/her decision to post a certain question, to grade a certain way, or to make a certain glossary entry, is strictly forbidden.

By the way, I have asked her to edit her first posting, deleting the link she added today.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

[Edited at 2006-01-26 18:53]

Thank you for pointing out this rule.

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is an unusually high percentage of "just closed" questions (by any asker) abuse of that option? Jan 27, 2006

Michele Fauble wrote:

The ratio of "just closed" to "graded" questions seems excessive to me. What do others think?

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filtering Jan 28, 2006

Michele Fauble wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:

The ratio of "just closed" to "graded" questions seems excessive to me. What do others think?

Hi Michele,

I can understand your frustration. All I can tell you is that I have already felt frustrated for only one ungraded question, choosing of wrong answer, etc. Luckily, Proz.com has given us the remedy, filtering. You must understand that this is something extremely subjective and any action would seem arbitrary, either way. So, filtering comes as a way of "unilateral personal subjective disagreement" with an asker.

Regarding the thread, I believe you could have been more generic from the beginning, I believe gad's advice seems reasonable, and we should all (including me) try to discuss matters in forums in a more generic way.

Best,
Fred

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this abuse of the "close without grading" option?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »