Mobile menu

Pro-Non-pro: peers vote for a change but Asker absolutely refuses to accept their opinion
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 18:35
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2006

A really unusual situation has cropped up and I'd like to know what the rule is. An Asker asked several questions the other day, all listed as pro. However, two of them were voted down to 'non-pro' by peers. The two questions concerned were indeed very simple, everyday language (in both source and target language) and normally would not present any problem to someone who is fluent in both languages. And one of the questions actually had only one possible translation.
So far, everything normal. But in this particular case, Asker has repeatedly called in the same colleague (with pro/non-pro changing rights) to put the question back to pro! So peer opinion be damned, Asker is determined to have the final say.
If this kind of behavior is allowed, then what's the point of peers expressing their opinions? What's particularly surprising and/or revealing is that the same colleague keeps returning to make the change(4 times (?) so far and on both questions), so it's clearly a case of a pal helping a pal situation.
Personally, I have never seen such behavior before on the part of an Asker. I can see the amusing or even trivial side of it all, but it does amount to spitting at the opinion of other translators and this aspect is a bit troubling.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Isn't this a matter for the moderators Feb 9, 2006

Has the situation been called to the moderators' attention? In GER>ENG this usually works quite well when someone is monkeying with the works, anyway.

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Feb 9, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

Has the situation been called to the moderators' attention? In GER>ENG this usually works quite well when someone is monkeying with the works, anyway.

Of course this started with the moderators. As you say, normally that gets things sorted out. But even that intervention seems to have been ignored.

Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
He is probably getting bored! Feb 9, 2006

I think he has nothing better to do than wasting time in this kind of things that I don't find vital. I like answering Kudoz, because I am glad when I can help other collegues. But, honestly, I never check this kind of things (pro, non-pro, etc.); I just help and that's it, and I keep on with my job.
He probably has not enough work, nothing better to care of. Just leave it!!!

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
intervention Feb 9, 2006

writeaway wrote:
Of course this started with the moderators. As you say, normally that gets things sorted out. But even that intervention seems to have been ignored.

Miss P, don't remember having intervened. Please send me the URL. M

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It wasn't the German site, Mr M. Feb 9, 2006

Marcus Malabad wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Miss P, don't remember having intervened. Please send me the URL. M

Your memory is fine Marcus. Nothing to do with German site.

Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 00:35
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
flag the asker Feb 9, 2006

Just flag him or her. Simple and very effective. I have voted twice for pro > non-pro in the EN>NL pair. I use it as a warning. IMHO the Kudoz system is there to help out whenever professional colleagues get into trouble with special terminology or poorly written source texts. Kudoz is not meant to serve as a free ride for those who acquire projects by bidding low and then decide to source out all the problems they are bound to run into.

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Send me the link! Feb 9, 2006

If you think my languages can help - or I'll get another mod onto it.
Angela

Update - it's being looked into.

[Edited at 2006-02-09 17:54]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear Feb 9, 2006

titi@home wrote:

Kudoz is not meant to serve as a free ride for those who acquire projects by bidding low and then decide to source out all the problems they are bound to run into.

Couldn't have summed up the overall problem better myself. Well said!

But writeaway is of course drawing attention to those that nevertheless do and are arrogant to boot.

I have a good idea which questions she is referring to and even though it's not my language pair, I didn't need to think twice what the answers were. How someone (who is supposedly a professional translator) has the gall to ask it in the first place is beyond me and then still be arrogant about its downgrading ..... I give up somedays.

Sure we can flag and ignore these individuals but that only helps us remain sane on an individual level - doesn't really help improve things on site overall.

D

[Edited at 2006-02-09 17:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pro-Non-pro: peers vote for a change but Asker absolutely refuses to accept their opinion

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs