Germany
Local time: 14:06
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
{Sigh with relief} BUT... Feb 15, 2006

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I am still amazed at the content of KudoZ FAQ #8. "Old" provision or not (at least I had not been aware of it), it contradicts the actual situation where KudoZ contributors (answerers and peer graders alike) were/still are? able to alter their comments several times in order to respond to subsequently added remarks, which I still consider a very useful feature to refine translations/arrive at optimal solutions.

I a
... See more
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I am still amazed at the content of KudoZ FAQ #8. "Old" provision or not (at least I had not been aware of it), it contradicts the actual situation where KudoZ contributors (answerers and peer graders alike) were/still are? able to alter their comments several times in order to respond to subsequently added remarks, which I still consider a very useful feature to refine translations/arrive at optimal solutions.

I agree with previous commentators insofar as the permanent removal of the possibility to change comments would not be justifiable given the very few people who are mis-/abusing this feature. As moderators, we should be perfectly able to handle these cases.

Steffen
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Justin! Feb 15, 2006

Thanks, Justin, for your prompt handling of this glitch!

Steffen Walter wrote:

...However, I am still amazed at the content of KudoZ FAQ #8. "Old" provision or not (at least I had not been aware of it), it contradicts the actual situation where KudoZ contributors (answerers and peer graders alike) were/still are? able to alter their comments several times in order to respond to subsequently added remarks, which I still consider a very useful feature to refine translations/arrive at optimal solutions.

I agree with previous commentators insofar as the permanent removal of the possibility to change comments would not be justifiable given the very few people who are mis-/abusing this feature. As moderators, we should be perfectly able to handle these cases.

I agree, Steffen. Thanks a lot for bringing your Mod's viewpoint to this, and for your wise words.

Cheers, all!

=(:-) [Happy Dusty!]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:06
SITE FOUNDER
It was a bug Feb 15, 2006

Dusty wrote:

It's been done on purpose! If you check out the FAQs, we are patronizingly being told this is "to stop threads drifting off..." or words to that effect!

No, Dusty, it was a bug. The FAQ is almost as old as peer comments (5 years). I apologize for the inconvenience caused to all of you today. We are implementing procedures to stop this sort of thing from happening.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, Henry! Feb 15, 2006

Thanks a lot, Henry, for taking the time to respond to my over-reaction; I'm sure you can understand that when this happened, like a good little boy, I checked the FAQs, and not knowing any different, made the wrong assumption!

I hope you'll forgive a sad old Devil for leaping to the wrong conclusion (despite advancing rheumatics!)

Cheers, peer commenters and responders, and ProZ staff, team one and all!

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Feb 15, 2006

Dusty wrote:

Ana Brause wrote:
When I try to enter a term in my glossary, well, my glossaries aren't there.. someone elses glossaries under the name of "Stuff" and "Pointless" appear there as a choice

Yes, Ana, I noticed the same thing, but I thought it was just me!

Clearly a fresh bug there, too!

My glossaries have also disappeared. Obviously a bug.

Inés

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Steffen Feb 15, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

Steffen

Perhaps you will be wondering "why Inés thanks me." Thanks for bringing your views on this matter. Thanks as it is not common that a Moderator backs us up when we complain in a forum.

From time to time we can see some people adding aggressive comments or giving a "Disagree" as if they were the owners of truth and perhaps the Mods should be able to delete those comments.

Now, Henry has let us know it was a bug. Great!

Thank you, Steffen! You are brave!

Inés

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:06
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Dusty Feb 16, 2006

Dusty wrote:

Thanks a lot, Henry, for taking the time to respond to my over-reaction; I'm sure you can understand that when this happened, like a good little boy, I checked the FAQs, and not knowing any different, made the wrong assumption!

Not at all, Dusty. I did appreciate your checking the FAQ, and it was not that clearly written, even for me (and I am the one who wrote it). Thanks always.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Common sense Feb 16, 2006

Ines Garcia Botana wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

Steffen

Perhaps you will be wondering "why Inés thanks me." Thanks for bringing your views on this matter. Thanks as it is not common that a Moderator backs us up when we complain in a forum.

From time to time we can see some people adding aggressive comments or giving a "Disagree" as if they were the owners of truth and perhaps the Mods should be able to delete those comments.

Now, Henry has let us know it was a bug. Great!

Thank you, Steffen! You are brave!

Inés

Well, at the end of the day, it all boils down to applying common sense when using the edit feature. As you will have probably noticed, KudoZ FAQ #8 was slightly modified and the lost features reinstated.

All the best,
Steffen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to edit/delete KudoZ comments

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »