KudoZ "Ask questions" setting now determines what questions are shown on home page
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 27, 2006

Went into KudoZ - Ask Questions this morning, set it to Russian to English, and on going back to the home page, discovered that the only questions displayed there were Russian-English ones. I had to go back to KudoZ Answer Questions and reset it to all languages for the home page to appear with questions in all languages as it normally does.
Is this a change that has just been made? If so, I wish you would change it back.

[Edited at 2006-02-27 14:12]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I also wish it would change back Feb 27, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

Went into KudoZ - Ask Questions this morning, set it to Russian to English, and on going back to the home page, discovered that the only questions displayed there were Russian-English ones. I had to go back to KudoZ Answer Questions and reset it to all languages for the home page to appear with questions in all languages as it normally does.
Is this a change that has just been made? If so, I wish you would change it back.

[Edited at 2006-02-27 13:14]

This change has been there for a while but I also find it annoying. I'm a big supporter of the old adage 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' .

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
My languages Feb 27, 2006

If you go to" Answer Questions" and select "All my languages" you'll be able to see the pairs of your interest in the "Home Page".
At least, it worked for me.

Good luck!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:36
SITE FOUNDER
It has been this way for about 7 months Feb 27, 2006

Hi Jack,

We made this change last July. Are you saying you would prefer to see all questions on the home page (including those in pairs in which you do not work or express an interest?) Or would you like to see terms in all of *your* languages, even if you have recently searched for terms in only one of your pairs?

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
The former Feb 27, 2006

I like to see what is coming in, in whatever language. I rarely answer questions from the home page in pairs except Russian-English and English monolingual, and a few German-English (I am notified of Russian-English and English monolingual, but the home page sometimes gets them before this happens), but I have done so a number of times over the years and even won some points this way, as you can see from my profile. Anyway, it is interesting to see some of the questions asked, in whatever lang... See more
I like to see what is coming in, in whatever language. I rarely answer questions from the home page in pairs except Russian-English and English monolingual, and a few German-English (I am notified of Russian-English and English monolingual, but the home page sometimes gets them before this happens), but I have done so a number of times over the years and even won some points this way, as you can see from my profile. Anyway, it is interesting to see some of the questions asked, in whatever language, whether I have any possibility of answering them or not.
I am surprised to learn that this happened so long ago, I would have thought I would have noticed it before this.

[Edited at 2006-02-27 16:09]
Collapse

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:36
French to English
Deconstruction Feb 27, 2006

I'm not sure this is the right place to mention it, but what I would like is to see Kudoz questions other than those regarding construction. It seems months since there was anything else, at least on my home page. How can I change this?

Guy

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Constructor, deconstruct thyself! Feb 27, 2006

Guy, from what others have said in this topic, I should think the last time you visited the KudoZ - Answer questions page, you asked to be shown questions specifically on construction, and you will have to go back there and set it to all subjects as well as all languages.

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:36
French to English
Thanks! Feb 27, 2006

Thanks very much, Jack, that did the job.

Guy

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Possible solution which might satisfy most people Feb 27, 2006

At present, the KudoZ Answer Questions page has a single button marked "View questions (and save settings)".
Could this be split into two buttons, one to view the questions and the other to save the settings? This would enable people to view questions in any pair they want but not save the settings, so that the questions on the home page could remain all languages or whatever other setting the user prefers.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:36
English to German
Separate View questions and Save settings buttons Feb 27, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:
Could this be split into two buttons, one to view the questions and the other to save the settings?

I think this solution should work great.

Endre

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:36
SITE FOUNDER
Sounds good. Feb 28, 2006

Thanks for this suggestion. I will make a note to address this in our next KudoZ release, which is a few months away.

Note that there is an option is to select "all pairs" on the home page. This will have the effect of ignoring yoru search criteria and showing you all pro terms. (This will also have the effect of ignoring your jobs-related preferences, though.) I suppose this might meet your needs... maybe you had that selected until recently, this is why you might not have noticed.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Henry Feb 28, 2006

Selecting "all pairs" on the home page suits me very well, since I rarely look at jobs anyway, but splitting the button still seems like a good idea. Thank you for considering it for the next KudoZ release.
I don't remember changing that option, but I suppose I must have done.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ "Ask questions" setting now determines what questions are shown on home page

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »