Thread poster: Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Local time: 08:04
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

When you close a question without grading saying you found the answer elsewhere, wouldn't it be better if you said what the answer is?
I like answering Kudoz questions in my pairs and fields, but it's something that takes time, research and effort, and I'm always curious to know other peoples' answers; so when the asker decides to decline all answers and close the question, I think the least he/she could do is tell what the answer found is and contribute to the glossary as well.
Don
... See more
When you close a question without grading saying you found the answer elsewhere, wouldn't it be better if you said what the answer is?
I like answering Kudoz questions in my pairs and fields, but it's something that takes time, research and effort, and I'm always curious to know other peoples' answers; so when the asker decides to decline all answers and close the question, I think the least he/she could do is tell what the answer found is and contribute to the glossary as well.
Don't you think so?
Collapse

Maria Ramis
Maria Ramis  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
COMPLETELY AGREE Mar 1, 2006

I'm completely agree with your comment AngelaMaria.
I think that the every asker should take the time to communicate the selected translation to the involved answerers.
If we don't do it this way, answering kudoz questions becomes less motivating because we miss the chance to learn more about subjects in which we are all interested.
That's why I would like to encourage everybody to be participative (even if most of ProZians are already great!)
Kind regards to you all!

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think so. Mar 1, 2006

The asker should tell the right or proper key to the question. It is bad manners when he/she decides to decline all answers and close the question, I think.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I agree too. Mar 1, 2006

I admit, I did once close without grading myself... when the question was about a corrupt version of the text, and it was quite impossible to answer.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1136808

I thanked the people who had tried and posted a better text.

We owe it to everybody to tell the end of the story - often I 'know' something has appeared on KudoZ and it is really frus
... See more
I admit, I did once close without grading myself... when the question was about a corrupt version of the text, and it was quite impossible to answer.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1136808

I thanked the people who had tried and posted a better text.

We owe it to everybody to tell the end of the story - often I 'know' something has appeared on KudoZ and it is really frustrating when the answer is not there.

(Usually because I am looking in the wrong language pair in my case!)

Otherwise, surely, there is always somebody who deserves a couple of points for trying? My problem is often that I can't give points to everyone!

But thanks for being there, folks - a lot of my 'questions' are answered before I ask them.

Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I don´t thin k it is impolite on the part of the asker to close the question Mar 1, 2006

Hi all,

Basically because he / she had posted the Q, either because he/she didn´t know the answer or unsure of what he/she knows already. Secondly the provided answers didn´t meet the solution or do not provide a satisfactory solution. Some times the outsourcer is adament about the usage of odd terms "as a matter of making his product or service unique" or just dogmatic in such a usage. Here it wouldn´t help much, choosing some answer and I am not of the opinion that Kudoz shoul
... See more
Hi all,

Basically because he / she had posted the Q, either because he/she didn´t know the answer or unsure of what he/she knows already. Secondly the provided answers didn´t meet the solution or do not provide a satisfactory solution. Some times the outsourcer is adament about the usage of odd terms "as a matter of making his product or service unique" or just dogmatic in such a usage. Here it wouldn´t help much, choosing some answer and I am not of the opinion that Kudoz should be solely for points. Additionally entering this some answer in the OG will not help, as it doesn´t reflect the right usage. I have had a couple of similar situations lately and had to close.
Best regards, Brandis
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Spanish to English
Fully agree Mar 1, 2006

It is rather rude to ask people to spend time answering your question and then not to give them any feedback except "all your ideas were terrible I used my own"!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Maybe Mar 1, 2006

But it should NOT, by any means, be mandatory.

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, not "mandatory" but... Mar 1, 2006

if there was a form to introduce your own answer, I'm sure most of us would do it.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The way I see it too Mar 1, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

It is rather rude to ask people to spend time answering your question and then not to give them any feedback except "all your ideas were terrible I used my own"!

There can be really good reasons to close without grading but playing the 'for me to know and for you to find out' game with people who spent THEIR time trying to help on YOUR question is really rude and inconsiderate. This site is supposed to be an exchange of information but some people see it as a way to 'get' information and the rest be damned. Fortunately most people are very willing to reveal what they ended up using, so those who refuse are few and far between.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I find it even more rude Mar 1, 2006

to find people with "disagree" (no comment or an alternative solution) or neutral when they don´t even give any answer. A possible answer according to their opinion and a disagree / neutral (uncertain) could solve this.Brandis

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's not the closing that's rude ... Mar 1, 2006

Brandis wrote:

Hi all,

Basically because he / she had posted the Q, either because he/she didn´t know the answer or unsure of what he/she knows already. Secondly the provided answers didn´t meet the solution or do not provide a satisfactory solution. Some times the outsourcer is adament about the usage of odd terms "as a matter of making his product or service unique" or just dogmatic in such a usage. Here it wouldn´t help much, choosing some answer and I am not of the opinion that Kudoz should be solely for points. Additionally entering this some answer in the OG will not help, as it doesn´t reflect the right usage. I have had a couple of similar situations lately and had to close.
Best regards, Brandis

It's closing without giving the solution you decided to use. I've closed questions myself without grading but I've always provided the translation I used - in some cases as given by the client, in others worked out by myself. It's common courtesy, that's all.

[Edited at 2006-03-01 17:34]

Prawi
Prawi  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
Fully agree with Angela Maria Mar 1, 2006

It's not the closing of a question without grading it, that's impolite. Sometimes we don't have another choice, (generally speaking, I' m not speaking for myself now, because I never happened to have to close a question without grading it) but at least we should find a couple of minutes to give a feed - back to the answerers. I think we're here to help - and to learn from - each other, or am I missing something? Of course, it shouldn't be mandatory, sometimes it 's not possible, as Brandis sai... See more
It's not the closing of a question without grading it, that's impolite. Sometimes we don't have another choice, (generally speaking, I' m not speaking for myself now, because I never happened to have to close a question without grading it) but at least we should find a couple of minutes to give a feed - back to the answerers. I think we're here to help - and to learn from - each other, or am I missing something? Of course, it shouldn't be mandatory, sometimes it 's not possible, as Brandis said, but it's really frustrating to read "answer closed without grading" or "answer found elsewhere" without knowing what the right solution was.
Same when I answer a question, the asker selects it and gives me the points without a word, not even "thanks". I'm glad I do not have to thank him/ her for selecting my answer instead of another one
@ Brandis: afaIk : "disagrees "without comment aren't allowed and against the rules, "neutrals" too, I think, but I'm not sure. "Non ti curar di lor ma guarda e passa.. "

Paola
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Not necessarily Mar 2, 2006

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

It's closing without giving the solution you decided to use.

There could be a good reason not to provide what you used - for one thing, what if you had to instead totally guess and don't want to risk making a potentially incorrect glossary entry? That is much more considerate to the site than to HAVE to provide the answer.

What is also rude is someone who absolutely obsesses over this topic - not naming any names, but I've seen it happen. Some people could make their point and move on (no I'm NOT talking about the person who started this thread, who I believe had good intentions and was just making a constructive suggestion).

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Spanish to English
Too much to ask? I don't think so. Mar 2, 2006

gad wrote:

There could be a good reason not to provide what you used - for one thing, what if you had to instead totally guess and don't want to risk making a potentially incorrect glossary entry? That is much more considerate to the site than to HAVE to provide the answer.

So are you saying that some people are too embarrassed to say what they have used in a professional translation they have been paid for? Anyway, who cares about incorrect glossary entries? The glossary is littered with them anyway, one more won't make much difference and the solution the asker used may help someone else to arrive at a better one. With difficult terms, the more information you have, the better. All you have to state is "not sure about this one, but I put XYZ". Is that really too much to ask?

Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 02:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Common courtesy Mar 2, 2006

I think that it should be basic common courtesy to grade an answer. After all, people take the trouble to research the answer and enter it.

I just did a quick check today for my language pairs, and out of 50 questions, only 10 had been graded..

I like answering KudoZ (it's good fun), but it's even better if you get some feedback at the end of the day.

Cheers,
Søren

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Closing questions without grading

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »