Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Should marketing/advertising slogans be allowed as Kudoz questions?
Thread poster: writeaway
E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
Too much restrictions restrict your mind Mar 4, 2006

I don't think people should be restricted on posting any type of question, be it a slogan, help on a quotation or whatever.

I agree completely with this opinion.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 03:43
Member (2003)
French to English
I totally agree Mar 5, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

I personally would give the asker the benefit of the doubt, and enjoy the challenge of thinking up a great slogan while I'm at it. I don't feel threatened by them or think that they're taking the bread out of my mouth.

I guess it's basically a matter of thinking positively or negatively, in the end.

[Edited at 2006-03-04 15:03]

Yes, it absolutely is a matter of thinking positively or negatively, and you are so right that we ALL should give Askers the benefit of the doubt.

Your attitude of not feeling threatened is one that indicates to me that you are truly a professional, as well as someone who probably answers KudoZ questions in the true spirit of collaboration, instead of from a totally critical, suspicious view of "why is this person asking this?" that I hear from so many others. This professional and positive attitude of yours is to be commended, admired, revered. I wish more others on this site would do the same.

It's nice people like you that make KudoZ pleasant. I wish there were more of you and less of those with the opposite point of view on this.

[Edited at 2006-03-05 00:25]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Again, I agree Mar 5, 2006

E.LA wrote:

I don't think people should be restricted on posting any type of question, be it a slogan, help on a quotation or whatever.

I agree completely with this opinion.

There are already enough restrictions put on Askers (btw, there aren't restrictions put on Answerers - I can't even block or filter out an Answerer if I wanted to). We don't need any more restrictions.

If you think that a question or series of questions breaks the rules, refer it to a moderator. Many times it does not even break the rules anyway, but if it does then it should without a doubt be up to a moderator to determine that.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No nastiness, suspicion or feeling threatened-just a question about a type of question Mar 5, 2006

gad wrote:

Your attitude of not feeling threatened is one that indicates to me that you are truly a professional, as well as someone who probably answers KudoZ questions in the true spirit of collaboration, instead of from a totally critical, suspicious view of "why is this person asking this?" that I hear from so many others. This professional and positive attitude of yours is to be commended, admired, revered. I wish more others on this site would do the same.

This is a general question about assisting people who ask others to 'contribute' their ideas for advertising slogans that have to go from one language to another. And specifically when the question is simply asked without any input from Asker. No 'this is what I have but am not sure it will work' but a straightforward-'what's the best way to say this English'.
No one is being nasty, critical or suspicious about anyone, let alone feeling 'threatened'. This may not be a topic or attitude to be commended, admired or revered, but there is no need to throw lots of negative light on it either. It's just a discussion. It's not about adding to the rules or imposing bans. I just feel that this is one issue where people are going a bit too far beyond just asking for help with a term. It's not just asking people to help with language probs, it's also asking them to do the actual thinking and provide the creativity that the client expects from Asker.

[Edited at 2006-03-05 01:40]

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 09:43
French to English
+ ...
shades of grey... Mar 5, 2006

Hi Writeaway,
In many ways I agree with you: there is a moral issue here.
That said, I love pitting my wits against a slogan challenge, after all, it's my field and one of the things I often have to do myself. I have also put out a few challenges on ProZ myself and, yes,I admit, I did it to let others share the fun.In the end you make you or own mind up and it may or may not be inspired by the answers you receive
However, there are times when I wonder if I am not being a litt
... See more
Hi Writeaway,
In many ways I agree with you: there is a moral issue here.
That said, I love pitting my wits against a slogan challenge, after all, it's my field and one of the things I often have to do myself. I have also put out a few challenges on ProZ myself and, yes,I admit, I did it to let others share the fun.In the end you make you or own mind up and it may or may not be inspired by the answers you receive
However, there are times when I wonder if I am not being a little naive and taken for a ride by people less scrupulous than the rest.
The problem is that in any community there are those who give and those who take and that applies to the wholeProZ system, not just slogans.
One last word, it crosses my mind that there may be copyright issues involved sometimes. Are there any legal eagles out there with any ideas on that aspect?
Have a good Sunday
Chris
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wow! Thanks for the compliment. Mar 5, 2006

gad wrote:

It's nice people like you that make KudoZ pleasant. I wish there were more of you and less of those with the opposite point of view on this.

Danke für die Blumen! ("Thanks for the flowers", for those not versant in German.)

I'm quite overwhelmed and not sure I recognize myself, here. I'm not a saint and have given sharp comments, too, in the past. This has happened when a person contributed a wrong or inappropriate KudoZ answer in a language pair he/she is not really competent in (though may think he/she is) , and most especially if that or some other non-nativespeaker "disagreed" with or crticized an answer of mine. (Then I can get nasty, but I can laugh at myself for this trait, too.)

This is why I understand writeaway's point of view very well, because in the past some of the same issues also bothered me. In the meantime, however, I've decided to be more relaxed about it (maybe because I just got back from a 2-week vacation in the US, where people are more "laid-back" in general), as discussed at length above. Plus I have noticed that over time, it seems those people (the "bad" guys) have gotten the message and moved on, but one doesn't see this until one has been here for a while. For me it's been about six months now, and things really do regulate themselves. The incompetent translators will not make enough to live on, especially at today's prices, and disappear, and the good ones will do fine. The same goes for the agencies. So the saying I mention in my first post in this thread is true: "What goes around, comes around", eventually.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No labels please Mar 5, 2006

Woodstock wrote:
. Plus I have noticed that over time, it seems those people (the "bad" guys) have gotten the message and moved on, ...

No good guys vs bad guys. In fact, the discussion is not about people at all. It's about a type of question.
Imho it's not healthy for the site if people constantly try pin labels on other members (in the broad sense of the word ) or try to divide the site into good sweet professional translators versus evil nasty wicked translators who are threatening them.
The forums are a place to discuss. Some people feel that doing slogans for others is fine, others don't think so. And some people post slogans as questions and others don't. It's that simple. Please don't put these people into good guy-bad guy camps. In a grown-up world, there is room for a difference of opinion. Just see them as translators, please.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I beg to differ Mar 5, 2006

writeaway wrote:

Woodstock wrote:
. Plus I have noticed that over time, it seems those people (the "bad" guys) have gotten the message and moved on, ...

No good guys vs bad guys. In fact, the discussion is not about people at all. It's about a type of question.
Imho it's not healthy for the site if people constantly try pin labels on other members (in the broad sense of the word ) or try to divide the site into good sweet professional translators versus evil nasty wicked translators who are threatening them.
The forums are a place to discuss. Some people feel that doing slogans for others is fine, others don't think so. And some people post slogans as questions and others don't. It's that simple. Please don't put these people into good guy-bad guy camps. In a grown-up world, there is room for a difference of opinion. Just see them as translators, please.

No offence intended: this "good guy" vs. "bad guy" is meant tongue in cheek, and you started this discussion about people misusing / abusing the site, or the ethics involved in passing off someone else's work as your own, even if it concerns a certain type of question. This board is about people, after all, in our infinte variety and complexity. Fascinating stuff.

I, for one, have said all I'm going to on this subject and have tried to keep it somewhat humorous, even if the subject is serious. The discussion has run its course for me, and I think it's clear that most do not condone any kind of censorship (at least so far), because the issue of 'Where do you draw the line?' gets too complicated.

Thank you for this very interesting topic and discussion.

[Edited at 2006-03-05 12:11]

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repeat: not about abuse, misuse etc. just should such questions be allowed? Mar 5, 2006

Allowed by us, in the sense of should we help out? No discussion of site abuse, misuse or even rules and regs. No condemnation of those asking either. Just want to discuss whether that much help is acceptable.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I usually... Mar 5, 2006

ignore these questions. It's the only way to curb the freelunchers... and no, they should not be allowed...

Giovanni

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
It is negative Mar 6, 2006

writeaway wrote:

No one is being nasty, critical or suspicious about anyone, let alone feeling 'threatened'. This may not be a topic or attitude to be commended, admired or revered, but there is no need to throw lots of negative light on it either.

I'm not throwing negative light on anything - if you read my two posts carefully, they were EXTREMELY positive, and I even got a thank you from someone for a compliment. I am just telling it like it is - and I totally agree that this site IS about people, and I reiterate that tolerance should be shown, instead of judgment and criticism.

I, too, have said all I'm going to say on this subject. Thanks.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I never answer those questions Mar 6, 2006

Although I think most people ask for help with slogans without really knowing what that implies (i.e. they don't have a clue).

That being said, it never ceases to amaze me how some people fail to handle their chosen profession as a business.

I doubt this happens to creative writers, who defend their turf quite well.

Fascinating.

--
Dyran

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The central question: ratio of opportunists to reciprocators Mar 9, 2006

I think it's in percent range here and we do have enough feelers strecthed out and (sigh) enough experience to tarr any opportunist (*) who would dare to approach these shores.

Re marketing slogans, hey, I got burnt once too... And the agency was so daft, they used To: instead of Bcc: to massmail the hooked - was a wake-up call for me to see the sheer numbers of them - no, sorry, us - all ...

Re opportunists vs recipr
... See more
I think it's in percent range here and we do have enough feelers strecthed out and (sigh) enough experience to tarr any opportunist (*) who would dare to approach these shores.

Re marketing slogans, hey, I got burnt once too... And the agency was so daft, they used To: instead of Bcc: to massmail the hooked - was a wake-up call for me to see the sheer numbers of them - no, sorry, us - all ...

Re opportunists vs reciprocators see for instance

http://www.columbia.edu/~rs328/compliance.pdf

and a recent Science had also something on the subject:

When Does "Economic Man" Dominate Social Behavior?
Colin F. Camerer and Ernst Fehr
Science 6 January 2006 311: 47-52 [DOI: 10.1126/science.1110600] (in Review)

So, in hindsight, we're nothing special;ß

smo

* used a different expression here first, but then thought better
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should marketing/advertising slogans be allowed as Kudoz questions?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »