Thread poster: Gina W
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 21:26
Member (2003)
French to English
Mar 5, 2006

I'm using the ProZ.com Term Search, and for about the third time I've come up with 0 hits, but then I do a Google search and it points to a KudoZ question. On this last term, I went back again and did another ProZ.com Term Search, and still 0 hits. I double checked to make sure that the language combination is correct (of course there really is no reason that it should not be since I work in, and thus search by, mainly one language pair, which is in my default search settings), and also made s... See more
I'm using the ProZ.com Term Search, and for about the third time I've come up with 0 hits, but then I do a Google search and it points to a KudoZ question. On this last term, I went back again and did another ProZ.com Term Search, and still 0 hits. I double checked to make sure that the language combination is correct (of course there really is no reason that it should not be since I work in, and thus search by, mainly one language pair, which is in my default search settings), and also made sure that the Field and Difficulty Level are "Any", and that the appropriate items are checked off - all of these settings should give me the results that I found from a Google search, but I absolutely can not get this same hit on a ProZ.com Term Search. I'm thinking then that this must be a bug, and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this right now, too. Thanks.Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:26
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I've been thinking exactly the same thing! Mar 5, 2006

last week I searched for a few terms via the proz search facility that resulted in 0 hits, Thinking I'd spelt the something incorrectly, I tried again (can't remember the actual terms but they were fairly standard Italian terms that you would expect to see in the glossary). But nothing. Until later on that day, I came across one of the terms while doing a yahoo search and funnily enough, the only online reference was via a proz glossary link.

I think that you may be right and that
... See more
last week I searched for a few terms via the proz search facility that resulted in 0 hits, Thinking I'd spelt the something incorrectly, I tried again (can't remember the actual terms but they were fairly standard Italian terms that you would expect to see in the glossary). But nothing. Until later on that day, I came across one of the terms while doing a yahoo search and funnily enough, the only online reference was via a proz glossary link.

I think that you may be right and that there's some kind of glitch ...
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:26
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Encoding Mar 5, 2006

Imho, the problems are related to site conversion to Unicode (part of the site is converted, another part - not yet). For example, in the En>Ru pairs the term search works as always, in Win1251 Cyrillic encoding and does not work in Unicode. So my suggestion is: just try another encoding.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
encoding problems seem likely Mar 5, 2006

I've recently seen decidely wierd results returned from searches for terms containing characters with diacritical marks (umlaut, trema, accents etc.). I suspect it results from the Unicode conversion. And then there's the still unresolved problem that the only results returned from searchs for matches that are not full words are terms in which the search term is at the beginning of the word...

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Another encoding? Mar 5, 2006

How do we do that, please? I'd love to know. It is *massively* annoying to not be able to view things properly now when I always could before.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Natalie is right - the problem is unicode related Mar 5, 2006

This problem exists because of the ongoing conversion from multiple encodings to Unicode.

When you search for a term using Unicode (as you will by default now), non-Unicode texts will not be found.

We will provide an option to search in various encodings within a few days. In the meantime, you may be able to change the encoding in which you search by manually changing your browser's encoding when you view the search page. Change it to the encoding that is most common in
... See more
This problem exists because of the ongoing conversion from multiple encodings to Unicode.

When you search for a term using Unicode (as you will by default now), non-Unicode texts will not be found.

We will provide an option to search in various encodings within a few days. In the meantime, you may be able to change the encoding in which you search by manually changing your browser's encoding when you view the search page. Change it to the encoding that is most common in the language of the term you would like to search.

Sorry for the trouble. Once we have completed the conversion to Unicode these sorts of issues - which have always been around, and are just more evident now - will go away.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henry! Mar 5, 2006

Glad there was a simple explanation and that this will be fixed soon.:)

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:26
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
but japanese search doesn't work at all Mar 5, 2006

It seems that for Japanese the problem is bigger than that. I tried changing encoding to Shif-Jis and EUC, but the result is always no hits, even when trying to search a word that has just been asked at Kudoz...
Someone noticed this on the japanese forum a few weeks ago, and said he had sent a support tiket, but the problem persists.

I hope it gets solved soon.

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:26
Japanese to English
with juanluis - Japanese search definitely corrupted Mar 5, 2006

juanluis wrote:

but the Japanese search doesn't work at all!

Here is the link to the forum post juanluis-san mentions:
http://www.proz.com/topic/42492

As far as KudoZ term searches involving Japanese are concerned, this problem has been around a LOT longer than the recent Unicode conversion issues.

I hope it gets solved soon.

Yes, that would be great!! It used to be such a convenient function!

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Added "search all likely encodings" option to term search Mar 6, 2006

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have added an option to the term search page to "Search for all likely character encodings". Selecting this option will cause your search to automatically be performed multiple times using the several most common character encodings for the source and target language you specify. For example, when searching for a Japanese to English term the search will be performed using the UTF-8, Shift_JIS, ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP, and Windows-1252 enc
... See more
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have added an option to the term search page to "Search for all likely character encodings". Selecting this option will cause your search to automatically be performed multiple times using the several most common character encodings for the source and target language you specify. For example, when searching for a Japanese to English term the search will be performed using the UTF-8, Shift_JIS, ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP, and Windows-1252 encodings.

Please let me know if this helps to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Jason
Collapse

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
Ummm, better but..... Mar 6, 2006

Jason Grimes wrote:

Please let me know if this helps to resolve the problem.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for looking into this!
I just had a quick try out on some different combinations using Japanese. The English-Japanese combination seems to be working quite well, and a (VERY brief) check of Japanese and other language combinations also seemed promising.

However, the Japanese-English direction still seems to need some work. Even with both "Whole words only" and "Match exact phrase" checked, the search sometimes seems to return "fuzzy" results, that is, all KOG entries, etc. that contain even one of the characters in the word being searched, while in other cases, the search still returns zero hits for words which I know for sure should be returning results.

Very puzzling! Anyway, it is definitely an improvement on a few days ago. Many thanks, as always, for your hard work.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It seems to be working again. Mar 12, 2006

At least for me (French to English).

Thanks.:)

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Term search should be working properly now for most languages; Japanese improved Mar 13, 2006

The term search should be working properly now for languages other than Japanese and Chinese.

Searches in Japanese and Chinese should be more accurate than they were previously, but results will only be returned when they begin with the term being searched for (i.e. the search will not find your term in the middle of a word or sentence).

Please let me know if you continue to have problems with the term search.

Thanks,

Jason

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
Interim Update re: Japanese searches Mar 14, 2006

Jason,

Thanks again.
The searches to/from Japanese seem to be 1000% improved!
It's wonderful to get real, relevant results being returned once again! I haven't come across any problems at all since this last improvement, but will let you know if any turn up!

Warm regards, Kathy

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
search all likely encodings is a big improvement, but... Mar 14, 2006

Thanks for adding the 'search all likely encodings' options. It certainly helps a lot with diacritical characters in German and Dutch.

However, search terms with umlauted characters still generate apparently bogus hits (maybe that's an unavoidable consequence of the encoding jungle...).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the ProZ.com Term Search working ok?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »