Thread poster: Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
French to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2006

I notice that there has been discussion about the questions and not being able to close them, etc.

Well what happens when no one proposes an answer? This is the case for my latest question...

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
two possibilities Mar 23, 2006

1. You may leave it open for some time awaiting for sombody to place any answer.
2. You may close it without grading.

regards,

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
No problem Mar 23, 2006

Except for you

Bianca AH wrote:
Well what happens when no one proposes an answer? This is the case for my latest question...

The question remains unanswerd until someone finds it, maybe one year later, when looking for something with the Term Search option and answers. Maybe you don't need it any more but it will be there when another person will look for the same term.
You won't receive any reminder for grading the question either.

Claudia

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:08
German to English
Timing Mar 23, 2006

Bianca AH wrote:

Hi Bianca,
My usual procedure is to work through the whole text before asking questions and when I see that my dictionaries, research and context won't solve certain problems, I reach for KudoZ.

But in the middle of the process, if the job is due the next day, I also take a look at the clock to see who'll be available to help me. I live in Mexico, central standard time in the US, but 7 hours earlier than in Germany. Depending on the type of text I'm doing, I might ask a question before I've gone through my regular procedure, if I know my colleagues in Europe who specialize in the topics I'm working on will be asleep if I wait too long and that there are likely to be few qualified people in North America later on in the day and they might not be online.

So, to answer your question, I think you should consider closing your question and asking it again when the time is right.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
No option to remove this question? Mar 24, 2006

I think that if no answers are proposed ever, then an Asker should have the option to remove the question from appearing on the site.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
After an infinite time has passed, asker may close. Mar 24, 2006

gad wrote:
I think that if no answers are proposed ever, then an Asker should have the option to remove the question from appearing on the site.

Agreed. But the asker must first wait to see whether an answer is ever proposed. In practical terms, this means that the asker should not close the question yet.

It is not unknown for comments to be made on years-old queries.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I think that the amount of time should not be infinite Mar 24, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

the asker must first wait to see whether an answer is ever proposed. In practical terms, this means that the asker should not close the question yet.

It is not unknown for comments to be made on years-old queries.

Askers MUST wait 24 hours to grade a question, and the they MUST grade that question with in 2 weeks. But an Askers posts a question that receives no answers, and can not remove it until an infinite amount of time has passed? To me, that doesn't make any sense. JMO.

Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments Mar 24, 2006

I agree with gad, which means I will close the question. Also, I posted the question again and got a slightly better response.

I think Kim is right about the timing thing too. I tend to work late at night which means that most ProZians in Europe are asleep. But this is not always the case, as I still get some answers. But then again, I posted a few questions late last night and one o
... See more
I agree with gad, which means I will close the question. Also, I posted the question again and got a slightly better response.

I think Kim is right about the timing thing too. I tend to work late at night which means that most ProZians in Europe are asleep. But this is not always the case, as I still get some answers. But then again, I posted a few questions late last night and one of them (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1290526) remains completely untouched.

If only there were a way of "refreshing question" - i.e. resending them?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

And when no answers are proposed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »