https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/44489-kudoz%3A_2_weeks_to_grade_answer_is_not_enough.html

KudoZ: 2 weeks to grade answer is not enough
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:53
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2006

Hello,

I have just realized that the robot automatically selects the answer with most agrees, only two weeks after the question is posted. I didn't know this because it usually takes me less than that to grade an answer. But there may be different reasons why it may take more than two weeks. I think the 2-week period should be extended to at least 4 weeks.

Claudia

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:53
English to Russian
+ ...
And why is that Mar 31, 2006

Hello there, would you like to elaborate on why? What makes 2 weeks not enough, in your opinion?

I, on the other hand, think 2 weeks is entirely too long! Suppose you haven't graded an answer in two weeks. Unless you've gone on vacation, that just means you've received at least 3 reminders to grade your question but ignored them. The robot may not always be fair, but it's the asker who lets it step in and make the decision.

Cheers

[Edited at 2006-03-31 21:30]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:53
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reasons Mar 31, 2006

Well,

As you said, vacations, too much work, the asker may have not found the answer by him/herself yet, etc.

Or like what happened to me: I'm working on a large project involving several documents, there are many terms repeated thoughout the documents so I want to keep the concordance. But none of the answers proposed were correct and I found the translation on my own. But, as I said, this is an on-going project and I still may find a better translation, so I rather
... See more
Well,

As you said, vacations, too much work, the asker may have not found the answer by him/herself yet, etc.

Or like what happened to me: I'm working on a large project involving several documents, there are many terms repeated thoughout the documents so I want to keep the concordance. But none of the answers proposed were correct and I found the translation on my own. But, as I said, this is an on-going project and I still may find a better translation, so I rather hold back closing the question so I can enter the best term into the glossaries.

At least there should be an option so the asker can manually extend this period.

Claudia
Collapse

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 21:53
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
I guess two weeks are more than enough! Apr 1, 2006

Taking into consideration the number of questions posted on each language pair daily, no answerer will probably be checking a question posted two weeks ago. Accordingly, you will probably be having no more new answers after two weeks!

If you couldn't find a suitable answer among the proposed ones after two weeks, then you can just close the question without grading, and maybe re-post it again to refresh possibilties of new answers proposed.

I guess that two weeks are e
... See more
Taking into consideration the number of questions posted on each language pair daily, no answerer will probably be checking a question posted two weeks ago. Accordingly, you will probably be having no more new answers after two weeks!

If you couldn't find a suitable answer among the proposed ones after two weeks, then you can just close the question without grading, and maybe re-post it again to refresh possibilties of new answers proposed.

I guess that two weeks are enough if you ask me
Collapse

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
Most helpulf, not exact solution Apr 1, 2006

Caliaa wrote:

But none of the answers proposed were correct and I found the translation on my own. But, as I said, this is an on-going project and I still may find a better translation, so I rather hold back closing the question so I can enter the best term into the glossaries.

Claudia

You should grade the MOST HELPFUL solution and not the right one. Even if the translation is not the right one in that context, the answerer might give you some hints, and you can find the best solution yourself starting from those hints.
One solution: you can grade the most helpful answer after the 2 weeks, without entering the term in the glossay. And then probably ask another Kudoz question, with the same term, but in another context.
2nd solution: Why not posting the question by the end of the projet or during proofreading: you can write all the contexts and ask to find the bettere solution, which adapts in all your cases.
Have a nice week-end!
Elena

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Extend the period Apr 1, 2006

Caliaa wrote:

At least there should be an option so the asker can manually extend this period.

Claudia

This is a good solution. It shows the asker is committed and will eventually grade which is what we want.

Also, sometimes there just isn't any helpful answers at all (and not just incorrect answers).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
extending the period and bringing the question 'up front' again Apr 1, 2006

... might be a good solution. Answerers who were too busy the first time round would get a second chance, and it's odd how sometmes an answer appears from the subconscious or some odd place - a really helpful answer might come through if the question appeared again.

This option would not be used often, I suspect, but if the asker could register in response to a reminder that more time was needed, it might just produce a result.

This would be useful to later searchers t
... See more
... might be a good solution. Answerers who were too busy the first time round would get a second chance, and it's odd how sometmes an answer appears from the subconscious or some odd place - a really helpful answer might come through if the question appeared again.

This option would not be used often, I suspect, but if the asker could register in response to a reminder that more time was needed, it might just produce a result.

This would be useful to later searchers too, if or when the same question came up again - it would be there in the glossaries...
Collapse

Werner Peters
Werner Peters
English to German
User-defined period Apr 1, 2006

Maybe a fully user-defined period would be good...

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 14:53
Member (2003)
French to English
I totally and completely agree Apr 1, 2006

Caliaa wrote:

Or like what happened to me: I'm working on a large project involving several documents, there are many terms repeated thoughout the documents so I want to keep the concordance. But none of the answers proposed were correct and I found the translation on my own. But, as I said, this is an on-going project and I still may find a better translation, so I rather hold back closing the question so I can enter the best term into the glossaries.

Claudia

I agree and had asked this in one case - I had submitted a support ticket and was told that they could not extend this period of time. To me, this makes no sense. Yes, if you are working on a large project, then absolutely you might not be able to grade the question in two weeks' time.

I think that without a doubt, this should be extended should the Asker so desire.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 14:53
Member (2003)
French to English
Isn't the point of KudoZ questions to build an accurate KudoZ glossary? Apr 1, 2006

Elena Pavan wrote:

You should grade the MOST HELPFUL solution and not the right one. Even if the translation is not the right one in that context, the answerer might give you some hints, and you can find the best solution yourself starting from those hints.
One solution: you can grade the most helpful answer after the 2 weeks, without entering the term in the glossay.

I've done this, and then had one answerer ask me "do you want to make the glossary entry, or should I?" as if there HAS to be a resulting glossary entry from every KudoZ question. Obviously, if the point is having an accurate KudoZ glossary, then that is not the case. So this is kind of tricky.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: 2 weeks to grade answer is not enough

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »