Seems slightly unfair asking for help
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:29
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2006

In English-Latvian pair recently two KudoZ questions were posted by two "different" (?) askers with the same text:
Hello everybody!
Is there anyone who can help me with the translation of the above expression?
A friend of mine asked me this favour, but unfortunately it is not my language pair.
Thanks a lot for your help!!... See more
In English-Latvian pair recently two KudoZ questions were posted by two "different" (?) askers with the same text:
Hello everybody!
Is there anyone who can help me with the translation of the above expression?
A friend of mine asked me this favour, but unfortunately it is not my language pair.
Thanks a lot for your help!!
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1305451
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1307423

If both questions were not made within few days, I would not have noticed that. But now it seems that sombody is trying to economize at the expense of helpful translators.

[Edited at 2006-04-12 11:20]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Hasn't this been going on since the beginning? Apr 12, 2006

I wasn't here at the beginning - joined the site two years ago. But it's always been this way.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Kristine Apr 12, 2006

Yes, unfortunately it happens from time to time that somebody tries to circumvent the site rules this way. In case you notice something like this please contact a moderator (if there is no moderator in that language pair, you may contact any moderator).

Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
Byt why? Apr 12, 2006

I may be completely daft, but how exactly does one benefit from posting the same question twice?

regards
Anna

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
French to English
Similar, not the same Apr 12, 2006

Anna Ryden wrote:

I may be completely daft, but how exactly does one benefit from posting the same question twice?

It wasn't quite the same question - the name of the country was different

I did wonder whether the person was about to start ploughing through the countries of the world alphabetically (starting at 'M'), but the second asker no longer exists, so I guess the problem has been solved.....

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's the whole job... Apr 12, 2006

Anna: the point is that these are not genuine translation queries, they are the whole job (two jobs, in fact) which the end-user is getting for free.

The purpose of KudoZ Questions, as I understand it, is for colleagues to help each other, not for users of translations to have free access to our services, which might be considered an abuse. This I think is Kristine's point.

Fortunately in this case the amount of effort required was not huge, but there is a principle he
... See more
Anna: the point is that these are not genuine translation queries, they are the whole job (two jobs, in fact) which the end-user is getting for free.

The purpose of KudoZ Questions, as I understand it, is for colleagues to help each other, not for users of translations to have free access to our services, which might be considered an abuse. This I think is Kristine's point.

Fortunately in this case the amount of effort required was not huge, but there is a principle here.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 12:29
Member (2003)
French to English
I see everyone's point but Apr 14, 2006

...isn't this something that should be addressed by a support ticket? I mean, it is discussing an individual situation, so I don't see it as a general theme that one would discuss on a thread. I know it's been done before (discussing one situation on a thread), but that still doesn't make it the proper or best way to deal with it. Individual situations should be reported either directly to a moderator by email, or to the site staff via a support ticket.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seems slightly unfair asking for help

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »