Mobile menu

Is commenting on personal glossaries acceptable?
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 14:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 22, 2006

I just searched for a term in the glossaries and found an entry in a personal glossary that is incorrect. And it's not just a matter of (my) personal opinion, because the word doesn't even exist in Spanish, is a calque and resembles the correct term.

Should I write a note to the member/user who owns the glossary to tell him/her about the mistake?

All in the interest of having the glossaries actually work for everyone, of course.

I usually leave a note (by way of the "Contribute to this entry" option) in a KOG entry when I find it's incorrect for whatever reason (it's mostly because of typos, nothing more), along the lines of "it should read X instead of Y", etc. So that anyone searching for the term can actually find it. (By the way, do these notes actually appear somewhere? does anyone even read/consider them?).

But since this particular entry is in a PERSONAL glossary, well... for starters, we don't have the "Contribute to this entry" option, of course, and also, it would be considered as personally criticizing someone, I guess...

So, I don't know how to proceed. I thought I'd ask, since this may be a delicate subject.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:26
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Interesting question Apr 22, 2006

Hi María Teresa

I have already seen incorrect entries in personal glossaries or even words that have been entered several times with exactly the same translation by the same person (I always suppose that it's due to a mistake and not on purpose).

I think it's a good idea writing to the glossary's owner, but I don't know wether it's easy to edit.

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:
I usually leave a note (by way of the "Contribute to this entry" option) in a KOG entry when I find it's incorrect for whatever reason (it's mostly because of typos, nothing more), along the lines of "it should read X instead of Y", etc. So that anyone searching for the term can actually find it. (By the way, do these notes actually appear somewhere? does anyone even read/consider them?).

I have never seen such a comment, so I wonder whether they are visible, but moderators can edit KOG entries, so you can contact the pair moderator (or any who understands the language) and suggest your correction.
This is efficient and energy saving.

Claudia

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who knows? Apr 22, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

Hi MT,

You asked: "By the way, do these notes actually appear somewhere?"
It`s a very good question.

Well, I asked the same question myself many times, I even placed it in some forum (see: http://www.proz.com/topic/43909 )

I never got one singe official answer. Not even a "Oh, dear, we`ll work on that" kind. Nothing. NADA. Mute.
The feature seems to be useless this way.

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Could you provide a link to a glossary entry? Apr 22, 2006

At least I could see if it's visible to moderators.

Claudia

RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Modified glossary entry Apr 22, 2006

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/926353

Hello Claudia,
here's a link to a KOG entry I commented on. I personally can't see my comment anywhere...

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:26
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
comment visible when clicking on "contribute" Apr 22, 2006

Roberta Bazzoni wrote:
I personally can't see my comment anywhere...

I can only see your comment when I click on "Contribute to this entry". A window pops up showing peer reviews.
Maria

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks Roberta Apr 23, 2006

Maria Karra wrote:
I can only see your comment when I click on "Contribute to this entry". A window pops up showing peer reviews.
Maria

Yes, so, you discover that someone disagrees with a glossary entry only when you disagree too... Interesting... and useless.

In this case it's a KOG entry (entry created thanks to a KudoZ question), so a moderator can edit it. For this, the best solution is contacting the moderator.

For personal glossaries the best should be to contact the owner, provided that he can edit it.

Claudia

[Editado a las 2006-04-23 03:39]

Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:26
Greek to English
+ ...
Corrections and additions are welcome Apr 23, 2006

If glossaries are to be seen as a "living" part of ProZ, rather than just collections of words which people leave here and then forget about, then surely it should be acceptable to make useful, relevant comments.

If someone wants to make a correction to one of my glossary entries, I will of course accept it if I agree with it.

If someone has some useful information to add to one of my glossary entries, that's more than acceptable, I see that as part of what my glossaries are for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is commenting on personal glossaries acceptable?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs