Thread poster: Nikki Graham

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:10
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
May 8, 2006

Hi,

I have just participated in a question that has been closed without grading and the reason given was "errant question". Given that we are not allowed to make any comments to askers about their reasons for doing such things, despite the fact that I am sorely tempted in this instance to inform the asker that I don't appreciate having my time wasted, I wondered if anyone could tell me what "errant question" is actually supposed to mean... Is this one of the options listed when you get to the "close without grading page"?

Many thanks

Nikki

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi, Nikki May 8, 2006

I just got a forwarded mail from the asker explaining that he saw almost at once that he shouldn't have asked the question. My guess is that he closed without grading from an old (unrefreshed) version of the page, but I'm still not too sure why THAT should work. I'll ask the technicians.

Cecilia

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:10
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 8, 2006

Thanks Cecilia,

on a technical note, I didn't receive notifcation that the question had been closed. Only noticed when I went back to it to respond to a peer comment. Certainly didn't notice when I answered the question.

On a more personal note, I do not think it is reasonable to close a question without grading after you have received some answers just because you suddenly realise you shouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It would seem, methinks May 8, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

on a technical note, I didn't receive notifcation that the question had been closed. Only noticed when I went back to it to respond to a peer comment. Certainly didn't notice when I answered the question.

that the asker closed an empty page (caveats and all about my technical knowhow, but proz.com's programming mysteries are sometimes beyond me and I'm getting obsolete).

I've had the experience myself of staring at an empty question I posted and wondering why I didn't get answers while that page was changing in real time.

As things stand now, we can't squash if there are answers (unless we get in at that split second just before someone posts his, and then it's like stepping on the toes of the guy behind you). Maybe something like this should be implemented for closing questions as well, techies?

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
Suggestion May 9, 2006

I saw Nikki's question, and I think it was open for an hour or so before the asker closed it without grading. Being able to see the time at which the asker closed the question could help clarify cases like this one.

In any case, I sympathize with Nikki; the same thing has happened to me before and it is a little frustrating: Two of us did some research, provided excellent explanations and references, and the question was closed giving "answer found elsewhere" as an answer. I wish askers would at least insert a note saying "thank you for your effort." That would be more than enough; but then again, not everybody thinks the same, so just brush it off and keep on, I guess...

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It would be polite to award a point or two for trying... May 9, 2006

Even if I find the answer elsewhere, and it happens, I think it is plain good manners to enter the answer for the benefit of other users of the system, or at least an explanation, and if possible award a point or two to one of the answerers as thanks for trying.

In those panicky last two hours before a tight deadline when people are tired, the questions asked may not be the most brilliant, but they may will probably turn up again, and then other translators will be grateful to find the answers in the glossary.

The whole idea of KudoZ is to make terminology and 'the right word for the context' easier to find. There is enough of it to fuel KudoZ for many years to come, however much search facilities and dictionaries go on improving.

If on principle we believed life should be just as difficult for future generations as it was for those who have gone before, we would all be in our monastery cells working on parchment with quill pens - or back in Egypt or Babylon making hieroglyphs and wedge signs on clay tablets...

The next generation will have its own problems, but at least let them see and benefit from the way we solved ours!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Errant question

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs