Add date/time stamp to comments to/from asker
Thread poster: Sol

Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2006

Sometimes an answer is perfectly good until the asker adds more information. When that happens, people start disagreeing with the previously good answer, which is totally unfair to the person who answered. I think there should be a way of letting people know that an answer was there before the clarifications were added by the asker. A time stamp sounds appropriate to me.

[Edited at 2006-05-24 18:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting proposal May 24, 2006

This is an interesting proposal, Sol.

However, even with a "time stamp", what happens if the asker adds extra information AFTER I gave my agree? That new information might reinforce my agree or the other way around.

Asking all the agreeers and disagreeers and neutrals to go back to the question everytime the asker adds information, is out of the question.

However, the colleague that gave an answer is notified of every addition the asker makes. So, I think it is the answerer who should keep his/her answer updated, by changing, modifying or adding more information or data to his own answer when receiving this notification.

Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately... May 24, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

... So, I think it is the answerer who should keep his/her answer updated, by changing, modifying or adding more information or data to his own answer when receiving this notification.

Unfortunately, that won't work either, because the people who agreed or disagreed didn't expect you to change your answer. They might not agree (or disagree) with the changes, and their agreement/disagreement is not timed either.

[Edited at 2006-05-24 18:44]

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:56
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
By all means May 24, 2006

Disagree with Walter, agree 200% with Sol.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
disagreeing with changes May 24, 2006

Sol wrote:
Unfortunately, that won't work either, because the people who agreed or disagreed didn't expect you to change your answer.

Hi Sol
I'm not sure a timestamp would solve the problem you're mentioning. I think we have to take a step back. Added notes are supposed to provide additional information to back up the answer already provided; they are not supposed to contradict it. If you change your mind about the answer you gave, IMHO you should retract that answer. Otherwise the term you proposed in the term textbox (at the top of the answer box) and your final suggestion (at the bottom) will be different, and that will confuse the asker, the peers who commented or want to comment on it, and anyone who may consult that kudoz question in the future.

They might not agree (or disagree) with the changes, and their agreement/disagreement is not timed either.

Yes, and in my opinion there shouldn't be any changes. There should be additional helpful information for confirmation/substantiation of the initial answer.
If you answer "A", and then add a note to say "no, I was wrong before, I'd like to suggest 'B' ", what are peers supposed to comment on? A or B? At first you'll get some agrees for A, then you add B and get some agrees for B. From what I understand, you would like to keep the initial and the final agrees, which refer to two different suggestions within the same answer. I think that's extremely confusing and quite unfair to other participants and to the asker.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:56
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Ummm... May 24, 2006

Maria, I honestly don't think you get it.

Askers do this all the time: they add new info that totally erases the context given before. Even more common is the situation when no context is given outright but after repeated requests by answerers it is provided and it turns the tables on everyone. There is nothing implemented in the Kudoz system to stop this. Why not at least timestamp the added notes so that everyone can be clear on what is going on?!

[Редактировалось 2006-05-24 19:16]

Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Example May 24, 2006

This is not a real example, it's for ilustration purposes only.

ORIGINAL QUESTION: A color in the US flag.

ANSWER1: Red, white or blue

QUESTION CHANGE1: ... it's the color of the sky

DISSAGREEMENT TO ANSWER1: Pink, maybe, but not red!

ANSWER2: Blue

QUESTION CHANGE2: ... when it's cloudy

DISSAGREEMENT TO ANSWER1: Neither blue nor red.

DISSAGREEMENT TO ANSWER2: Are you daltonic?

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
added info May 24, 2006

Sorry everyone, I completely misunderstood; Sol was talking about info added by the asker, and I was talking about notes added by the answerer (that contradicted the original answer). So sorry...

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
Askers do this all the time: they add new info that totally erases the context given before.

You're right It does happen very often. And I agree with Sol, it can be quite discouraging to receive disagrees on an answer that was correct before. On the other hand, that answer (which was previously correct) no longer applies; so keeping it there with all the agrees might be misleading. Let's see what others think of this timestamp. Again, I apologize for disagreeing with your suggestion, Sol, when in fact I had misinterpreted it.

Maria

P.S. I loved your example

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add date/time stamp to comments to/from asker

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs