https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/50596-how_satisfied_are_you_with_kudoz_answers_at_prozcom.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
How satisfied are you with KudoZ answers at ProZ.com?
Thread poster: lux
lux
lux
Local time: 16:45
German to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2006

How satifsied are you with answers/suggestions of members of Proz.com

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-07-03 16:42]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic... Jul 3, 2006

...to Kudoz forum, since the Poll Discussion forum is for automated poll postings.

Regards,
Özden

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Very satisfied, really Jul 3, 2006

In my language pair (Italian > Spanish) I really must say that there are very good answers... and very well-prepared and friendly answerers.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The answers I get are always good Jul 3, 2006

and very hepfull.
But I don´t know how about the answers I give

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-07-03 18:29]

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Helpful but... Jul 3, 2006

Helpful but really disapointing when some answerers start bickering (eg: "my answer is better than yours; I had found that answer before you" gna, gna,gna...) I recently came accross that childish phenomenon after posting a question. Ridiculous and unprofessional...

[Edited at 2006-07-03 19:52]

Manuel Aburto
Manuel Aburto  Identity Verified
Nicaragua
Local time: 05:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very, very helpful and totally satisfied! Jul 3, 2006

Let me start by saying that Proz is a site meeting all your translation needs. I have never found a site like this.

Secondly, I am totally satisfied with the Kudos answers since once you post the term you want to have translated, you are provided with several options which are supplied, most of the time, by experts in that particular working field.

I use to make some research about each term provided before selecting the most appropriate answer. In this way, you guara
... See more
Let me start by saying that Proz is a site meeting all your translation needs. I have never found a site like this.

Secondly, I am totally satisfied with the Kudos answers since once you post the term you want to have translated, you are provided with several options which are supplied, most of the time, by experts in that particular working field.

I use to make some research about each term provided before selecting the most appropriate answer. In this way, you guarantee a suitable term for your translation.

Hope it works,

Manuel
Collapse

BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I beg to differ... Jul 3, 2006

I think that what's really unprofessional is some people giving the same answer a colleague gave 15 minutes before instead of just pressing Agree.

As for the usefulness of the answers, there are some very good, sensible translators, and there are also a few people who answer nonsense. Of course anyone can make a mistake; I have given answers and then realized I was wrong, but sometimes, if we are not sure, it's better to just refrain from answering.

Regards,

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
VERY useful Jul 3, 2006

Sometimes, within a legal document, I find technical words which are: 1) not my jargon 2) are so so so new that they don't appear in most paper/on-line dictionaries. Here, KudoZ help is UNIQUE. (I am thinking about minining, medicine, telecom, et al.)

When I translate into the so-called Hispanic Spanish, fellow prozians are the best help I can think of. I remembered a translation I was working on about brides' dresses. Oh, my, neckline styles, heels names (!), even some colors I co
... See more
Sometimes, within a legal document, I find technical words which are: 1) not my jargon 2) are so so so new that they don't appear in most paper/on-line dictionaries. Here, KudoZ help is UNIQUE. (I am thinking about minining, medicine, telecom, et al.)

When I translate into the so-called Hispanic Spanish, fellow prozians are the best help I can think of. I remembered a translation I was working on about brides' dresses. Oh, my, neckline styles, heels names (!), even some colors I could not find anywhere... but here.

Au
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
from the ridiculous to the sublime... Jul 3, 2006

BAmary wrote:

Of course anyone can make a mistake; I have given answers and then realized I was wrong, but sometimes, if we are not sure, it's better to just refrain from answering.

I have to agree with this. Far too many people in the ES>EN and EN>ES pairs answer questions when they don't even really understand the source text, or don't even work in the area of the question. I am constantly amazed at how some people never seem to mind making fools of themselves by haphazardly stringing together words found in dictionaries (never mind if they really understand what they mean or not) and then feverishly copying and pasting whatever expressions they find via Google with the term they have thus concocted. I have seen some really hilarious examples of random results from the Google search page used as references, such as a text on amusement park safety being used to support an answer relating to furniture design. The all-important thing in these cases, obviously, is to BE FIRST in order to GET THE POINTS. Unfortunately, there are quite a few askers who are as clueless as these answerers.

In the questions I have asked myself, I have seen answers ranging from brilliant to B.S. and everything in between. After over four years of "hanging around" the Kudoz area, I have an idea of whose answers I can trust in what subjects; and it usually doesn't take long to figure out where newcomers fit in.

It would really be nice to see less guesswork and more hard facts, but unfortunately it's just a game to some people, who never seem to think about the consequences that their ridiculous answers might have if the askers actually choose them and (even worse) use them in their translations. I hate to say it, but these people seem to outnumber the ones who give well-reasoned, well-supported answers.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It doesn't necessarily matter, because there is backup there Jul 3, 2006

Cindy Chadd wrote:

In the questions I have asked myself, I have seen answers ranging from brilliant to B.S. and everything in between. After over four years of "hanging around" the Kudoz area, I have an idea of whose answers I can trust in what subjects; and it usually doesn't take long to figure out where newcomers fit in.

It would really be nice to see less guesswork and more hard facts, but unfortunately it's just a game to some people, who never seem to think about the consequences that their ridiculous answers might have if the askers actually choose them and (even worse) use them in their translations. I hate to say it, but these people seem to outnumber the ones who give well-reasoned, well-supported answers.

How often have you seen an answer in the KOG that was selected, whilst being clearly incorrect?

Thank heavens there are alternative offerings on the glossary pages that instantly jump off the page as being the correct ones.

More often than not the better researched ones...

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:15
German to English
The good, the bad and the ugly Jul 3, 2006

The KudoZ glossary is an indispensable resource for my translation work. It's usually the first thing I check, even before dictionaries, because when people I know and trust provide answers I often get much more than a dictionary provides. I might get background information that explains how something works, for example. I think the KudoZ glossary is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Using the KudoZ glossary and choosing a "winner" when asking questions is much easier if you've
... See more
The KudoZ glossary is an indispensable resource for my translation work. It's usually the first thing I check, even before dictionaries, because when people I know and trust provide answers I often get much more than a dictionary provides. I might get background information that explains how something works, for example. I think the KudoZ glossary is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Using the KudoZ glossary and choosing a "winner" when asking questions is much easier if you've been around a while and know your Pappenheimer (German for knowing whom you're dealing with). After a while users know whose answers are usually well-founded and whose are not. Here's a breakdown that might help:

Categories:
1. Top-notch professionals you can always rely on. They never answer questions unless they know what they're doing. And they often document their answers meticulously. You can usually take their answers to the bank. Their reliability ratio (answers submitted vs. answers selected) is somewhere around 60 - 70%.
2. Average professional translators. Honest and with good research skills. They use the confidence bar judiciously. Reliability ratio: 40 - 50%.
3. Newbies to translation. They make plenty of mistakes in the beginning but if they're serious about becoming translators they steadily improve by learning from others. Reliability ratio: 30 – 40%.
4. Point hunter cowboys – often the first to post an answer, dishonest, unreliable, playing the odds: if you answer 30 questions a day in many different language pairs, you're bound to get some of them right, and pretty soon you'll be at the top of the leader board but with a horrendous reliability ratio of maybe 20%.
5. Way out of their league – totally incompetent in source and target languages – with horrendous results. The peers in the language pair usually let them know how bad their answers are and they usually disappear quickly and go back to the languages they understand.

[Edited at 2006-07-03 22:57]
Collapse

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
50% ridiculous and only 10% sublime... Jul 3, 2006

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I have seen some really hilarious examples of random results from the Google search page used as references, such as a text on amusement park safety being used to support an answer relating to furniture design. The all-important thing in these cases, obviously, is to BE FIRST in order to GET THE POINTS.

I couldn't agree more!!! All that matters now is answering first and providing as many Google matches as possible (for whatever they are worth).

Cindy Chadd wrote:

It would really be nice to see less guesswork and more hard facts, but unfortunately it's just a game to some people, who never seem to think about the consequences that their ridiculous answers might have if the askers actually choose them and (even worse) use them in their translations.

I agree, but sometimes I think some people take it as a full time job -not just as a game.

Answering questions used to be more useful for the asker, and MORE FUN too! People would try to help other translators, instead of just competing for some points.

I really miss those days

ALEJANDRA

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:45
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mixed bag Jul 4, 2006

I have asked very few questions and it has been a mixed bag as far as the answers received are concerned.

Once or twice I got the exact solution that I was looking for within minutes, but at many other times nothing helpful came up.

There was also one occasion when I got the right solution all right, but along with it came a lot of unwanted ticking off for not checking other sources of information first, which I found very un-understanding, for when you are in a despera
... See more
I have asked very few questions and it has been a mixed bag as far as the answers received are concerned.

Once or twice I got the exact solution that I was looking for within minutes, but at many other times nothing helpful came up.

There was also one occasion when I got the right solution all right, but along with it came a lot of unwanted ticking off for not checking other sources of information first, which I found very un-understanding, for when you are in a desperate translation situation, you clutch at any straw that comes your way and kudoZ is the first that any prozian would think of.

I presume it depends on the type of the question too.

[Edited at 2006-07-04 02:44]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 21:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Who cares.... Jul 4, 2006

I find myself reluctant to answer Kudoz questions now because even though I know the right answer there is a collection of people who just nit-pick and and pull your answer to pieces just so they can pick up the points themselves...very sad people!

They seem oblivious to helping answer the original askers question, who more often than not is using English as their second language, and then go on to blind the asker with technical English grammar and jargon which I'm sure must confuse
... See more
I find myself reluctant to answer Kudoz questions now because even though I know the right answer there is a collection of people who just nit-pick and and pull your answer to pieces just so they can pick up the points themselves...very sad people!

They seem oblivious to helping answer the original askers question, who more often than not is using English as their second language, and then go on to blind the asker with technical English grammar and jargon which I'm sure must confuse them even more.

I think if someone wants help with a question then just give them a plain and simple answer to help them understand.

Sad are the people who count on Kudoz points to raise their profile in the directory in an effort to find work!

Mark
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
On KudoZ grabbers and not so accurate replies Jul 4, 2006

Some people complain about lack of accuracy in some replies. Yes, I have read/been offered these inaccurate replies some times, but ... how long does it take a true professional to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Of course, there may be a 'risk' here if what you need is help in a language you know nothing about and you are so unlucky as to be met by these irresponsible people (who just copy&paste approximate answers [or so they think], probably Internet links, and similar replies
... See more
Some people complain about lack of accuracy in some replies. Yes, I have read/been offered these inaccurate replies some times, but ... how long does it take a true professional to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Of course, there may be a 'risk' here if what you need is help in a language you know nothing about and you are so unlucky as to be met by these irresponsible people (who just copy&paste approximate answers [or so they think], probably Internet links, and similar replies.)

As a heavy asker I can only say that my experience has been excellent so far.

Au

[Editado a las 2006-07-04 07:26]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How satisfied are you with KudoZ answers at ProZ.com?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »