Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2006

I submitted an answer to a KudoZ question today - http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1472778 - and the asker added a note in my answer box which made it quite clear that my answer was wrong. I did not see this until much later, when someone added a peer comment to my answer. If I had seen it, I would have hidden the answer at once, as I have now done.
If the asker puts something in a general note to all answerers, this is notified by email. The facility for replying to individuals is a more recent one (and a useful one), but the fact that email notifications of such replies are not sent seems to me to be a gap in the system which ought to be remedied.

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
guilty as charged :) Jul 27, 2006

This is an excellent suggestion, as I was under the impression askers' notes to individual answerers were indeed notified by email (otherwise I would have made sure to post a general note, as a courtesy). It seems to me if the option exists to leave a note for a specific answerer, it would be even more important the person in question be notified.

That said, I appreciated your answer all the same, Jack. It made me realize I had left out an important bit of context. Thank you very much for your input

Susana

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restored Jul 27, 2006

Thank you, Susana.
I have now restored my answer, purely to make the question a better illustration of my point.

Angela&Claudio
Italy
Local time: 08:52
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
I totally agree Jul 27, 2006

After getting an answer I may want to have something clarified, and it seems that many times the answerer won't go back to the question he/she has already answered and won't see my note at all.

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
another vote for this feature Jul 27, 2006

I was also surprised to see notes to me from the asker when I went back to a couple questions I had answered; I think e-mail notifications should definitely be sent, as they are for peer comments.

LittleBalu
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Excellent suggestion, Jack :-) Jul 27, 2006

I don't have the time to go back to the questions I have answered every two minutes to check whether the asker has commented on my answer (or not). It would be good to be notified by e-mail of asker's individual notes (similar to the e-mail notifications of peer comments).

marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
another agree Jul 27, 2006

Thank you for mentioning that, Jack.

I second you totally. The whole feature is useless if individual answerers are not notified.

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I'm with you Jul 27, 2006

If I remember correctly, the feature used to work in the past (about a year ago).

But in any case, ProZians have repeatedly mentioned this problem on the forums for some time now and so far nothing has been done to fix it.

http://www.proz.com/post/264647
http://www.proz.com/post/312637

Maybe a support request would help, although I doubt it, given the fact that some of the other problems I reported almost 3 months ago still haven't been addressed

Joanna

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support request submitted Jul 27, 2006

I've just put in a support request on this, quoting this forum thread and also the two supplied by Joanna (thanks for the information, Joanna), so we'll see if anything comes of that.

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Another 'Aye' Jul 27, 2006

I support your excellent suggestion 100%!

Caryl

Prawi  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
Another agree wholeheartedly Jul 27, 2006

Thanks for suggesting Jack - I had the same problem a couple of times too - Quite embarrassing, because the asker didn't know I hadn't got his/her message. How could he/she? Without notification it's useless.

Paola

justin C
United States
Local time: 02:52
English
I have added notifications to the 'ask the answerer' function Jul 28, 2006

Hello all!

I have made it so that answerers are now notified when a note is added about their question.

Please let me know if you notice any problems.

Best regards,
Justin

Ian M-H
United States
Local time: 02:52
German to English
+ ...
Excellent Jul 28, 2006

Justin wrote:
answerers are now notified when a note is added about their question.

That's excellent news. I was one of the people who did raise a support ticket about this a few months ago, but at that time - despite the best efforts of support staff - it couldn't be resolved.

Thanks for having another look at the problem. If you really have solved it, many of us will be delighted!

LittleBalu
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Justin Jul 28, 2006

justin wrote:

Hello all!

I have made it so that answerers are now notified when a note is added about their question.

Please let me know if you notice any problems.

Best regards,
Justin

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Justin. Jul 30, 2006

Thank you form your prompt response to my request.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Askers' notes to individual answerers should be notified by email

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs