Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:45
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 4, 2006

Yahoo! just launched its new service, Yahoo! Answers, which is built on a concept markedly similar to that of our good old KudoZ.

Asker rates the answerers, picks the best answer, outsiders can vote on potential answers already given, etc.

http://answers.yahoo.com/

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Not very surprised Sep 4, 2006

The only concern I have with Yahoo's question and answers is that while KudoZ questions in ProZ.com are answered by people focused on languages, Yahoo answerers would be people focused on what???

Have a nice Monday,
Monika

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Google Answers Sep 4, 2006

I think Google Answers is basically the same as Yahoo Answers, just that is older and, AFAIK, most questions are answered for money only and by "experts"...

I never used it though.

Sonja

Alexandra Douard  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Well.. Sep 4, 2006

I would not worry that much it's about ANYTHING!
The list of topics is endless and you can find questions such as: (sic) How do I conceal the freckles on and above my lips...without it looking unnatural?

Have a nice day!

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:45
French to English
+ ...
might be useful.. Sep 4, 2006

Once or twice, in the monolingual English or FR>EN medical Kudoz section, questions have been asked such as: 'my ultrasound shows such and such a finding, is my baby going to be ok?' or 'how do I treat keloid scars?'.

Perhaps these askers can be directed at Yahoo Answers. No-one there would know the answer either, but at least they would be asking in a more appropriate place.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:45
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

universal Sep 4, 2006

Angela Dickson wrote:

Once or twice, in the monolingual English or FR>EN medical Kudoz section, questions have been asked such as: 'my ultrasound shows such and such a finding, is my baby going to be ok?' or 'how do I treat keloid scars?'.

Perhaps these askers can be directed at Yahoo Answers. No-one there would know the answer either, but at least they would be asking in a more appropriate place.

Exactly, we get all kinds in mono eng, such as "What is the latitude/longitude of Victoria Falls" and "what is the pinging in my car engine" or "how do I calculate the volume of my swimming pool".

I'll be happy to redirect such traffic.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yahoo copies KudoZ?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs