Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:48
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 12, 2006

Dear all,

Until some time ago, there was a button in KudoZ for squashing questions. I do not know why, but it is not there any longer. Would it be possible to bring it back, or maybe a less fierce version, such as an "Abuse" button?

Today between 2:25pm and 3:21pm there was a person in KudoZ who posted 13 questions in the English-to-Chinese language pair, using different names. And I believe s/he actually asked 18 questions in total (the first five using his/her profil
... See more
Dear all,

Until some time ago, there was a button in KudoZ for squashing questions. I do not know why, but it is not there any longer. Would it be possible to bring it back, or maybe a less fierce version, such as an "Abuse" button?

Today between 2:25pm and 3:21pm there was a person in KudoZ who posted 13 questions in the English-to-Chinese language pair, using different names. And I believe s/he actually asked 18 questions in total (the first five using his/her profile). Today is not the first time. This has happened on 7 and 8 October as well.

I think this is clear abuse of the KudoZ system, and since there is no moderator assigned for the Chinese KudoZ pairs, I would welcome to have an "Abuse" button in these cases. Maybe the system could forward a notification of abuse to other moderators or Proz.com staff, and then someone could look into the IP address etc. of this abuser.

Stefanie
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Stefanie Oct 12, 2006

Do you refer to this question:
www.proz.com/kudoz/1589822

I am also wondering what his or her real ID is. I think someone else also posted this kind of topic about the same person in the Chinese forum last year.

As for the ability to squash questions, I would suggest that you contact Henry directly.

Regards,

Betty

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Dear all,

Today between 2:25pm and 3:21pm there was a person in KudoZ who posted 13 questions in the English-to-Chinese language pair, using different names. And I believe s/he actually asked 18 questions in total (the first five using his/her profile). Today is not the first time. This has happened on 7 and 8 October as well.

I think this is clear abuse of the KudoZ system, and since there is no moderator assigned for the Chinese KudoZ pairs, I would welcome to have an "Abuse" button in these cases. Maybe the system could forward a notification of abuse to other moderators or Proz.com staff, and then someone could look into the IP address etc. of this abuser.

Stefanie

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some systems for dealing with abuse are already in place Oct 12, 2006

Regarding squashing questions, see #26 and #27 in the KudoZ FAQ:

26. ANSWERING: I see some users (not moderators) reclassifying, or removing, others' questions. How are these members selected?

Moderators may invite members/registered users who have at least 500 KudoZ points to read the guidelines for reclassifying and squashing, and take a short test. Those who pass have the right to edit in these ways.

27. Under what conditions will a KudoZ question be removed?

There are about ten possible reasons why a KudoZ questions would be removed ("squashed"). For a discussion of these reasons, see: this article.

Regarding abuse reporting, there is a link to the moderators at the bottom of each KudoZ question page, where you can draw a moderator's attention to potential cases of abuse. For pairs where there is no moderator assigned, there is a link to the moderators' list, and you are invited to alert any moderator (if possible, one with a linguistically similar pair).

[Edited at 2006-10-12 16:16]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
The situation is already taken care of... Oct 12, 2006

and thank you, Stefanie, for alerting.

The 'abuse' button for language pairs where there is no moderator is certainly a good idea and I think it's worth implementing. As long as there is no such button, though, everyone can always alert any moderator - just go to the Moderators list and pick one - possible someone having a language ability in at least one of the languages concerne
... See more
and thank you, Stefanie, for alerting.

The 'abuse' button for language pairs where there is no moderator is certainly a good idea and I think it's worth implementing. As long as there is no such button, though, everyone can always alert any moderator - just go to the Moderators list and pick one - possible someone having a language ability in at least one of the languages concerned and possibly someone who is currently online (green P).

Magda

PS for this particular case: as this person clearly violated the KudoZ limits, both the profile and ability to ask as unlogged are suspended until the site staff will further deal with it.
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contacting moderators vs. "Abuse" button Oct 12, 2006

GoodWords wrote:
Regarding abuse reporting, there is a link to the moderators at the bottom of each KudoZ question page, where you can draw a moderator's attention to potential cases of abuse. For pairs where there is no moderator assigned, there is a link to the moderators' list, and you are invited to alert any moderator (if possible, one with a linguistically similar pair).

Hi GoodWords,

Thank you for your posting. I know about the link at the bottom of each KudoZ question. I just thought it might be faster and easier to have an "Abuse" button that simply needs clicking (and maybe a short explanation), and someone will automatically be alerted. I would not expect moderators/staff to react to each and every abuse alert. But in a case like today in the Chinese KudoZ section, there would have probably been a number of abuse alerts in a very short time.

If different ProZ.com members/users want to alert moderators, we might end up writing to different moderators, instead of collecting all the alerts in one place.

That's why I thought a kind of "Abuse" or "Attention to this question" button might be handy.

Stefanie

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was fast! Oct 12, 2006

Dear moderators,

I just saw that the questions are removed now. That was fast! Thank you for attending to this so quickly!

Stefanie

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Suggestion Oct 13, 2006

Hi Stefanie,

Would you consider posting this suggestion in the thread http://www.proz.com/topic/55502 "Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)"?

Thanks,
Enrique

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do, Enrique Oct 13, 2006

Hi Enrique,

Thank you for your message. I'll post my suggestion in the "Let's improve Proz.com" thread.

Best regards,
Stefanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we have an "Abuse" button?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »