Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Dec 17, 2006

There are daily limits on Kudoz questions for visitors and various categories of users and members, but what about all-time limits?

For instance, I have just seen an unregistered visitor with a total of 212 questions asked. Isn't that a bit excessive?

I am all in favor of visitors having access and asking some questions, but perhaps there should be a limit of only so many, at which point they should be informed that they need to register (free) if they wish to ask more.
... See more
There are daily limits on Kudoz questions for visitors and various categories of users and members, but what about all-time limits?

For instance, I have just seen an unregistered visitor with a total of 212 questions asked. Isn't that a bit excessive?

I am all in favor of visitors having access and asking some questions, but perhaps there should be a limit of only so many, at which point they should be informed that they need to register (free) if they wish to ask more.

Of course I do not know what control there is preventing people from continuing to enter under different names.

I would also suggest that when people do register, that they be given a certain time limit, let's say 30 days, to complete a minimum required level of data on their profile.

How does this sound to the rest?
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Dec 17, 2006

Hi Henry,

As usual, I agree with you and your proposal. This topic has been dealt with many times.

I already know the answer you will get (the same I got many times):
"We`ll look into it "
or
"Place a support ticket."

Wish you better luck.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would go even further Dec 17, 2006

I agree with Henry, but I would take it a step further and call for a requirement that anyone posting questions must register first. They can at that time be given the opportunity to opt-out of any unsolicited mails from proz.com. And if they want, they can even use the name of a bird, plane or rock band as their moniker.

I'm uncomfortable with someone who doesn't even have the accountability being accessible via e-mail (let alone who doesn't use their real name) being permitted to
... See more
I agree with Henry, but I would take it a step further and call for a requirement that anyone posting questions must register first. They can at that time be given the opportunity to opt-out of any unsolicited mails from proz.com. And if they want, they can even use the name of a bird, plane or rock band as their moniker.

I'm uncomfortable with someone who doesn't even have the accountability being accessible via e-mail (let alone who doesn't use their real name) being permitted to post questions that impose upon the time of professional translators. I have also noticed that the unregistered have a conspicuous poor record of actually awarding points to those who have taken the time to respond to their queries.

I don't think that a simplified registration process that would take no more than five minutes would be too much to ask of persons seriously seeking translation help.

I also agree with Henry re the need to eliminate empty profiles.

Bob
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:40
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, even further. Dec 17, 2006

Just see this: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1687248
Can't even know who this person is.

I already know the answer you will get (the same I got many times):
"We`ll look into it "
or
"Place a support ticket."

As Walter says.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Have you seen all the 100% empty 'registered' profiles Dec 17, 2006

Robert Forstag wrote:

I'm uncomfortable with someone who doesn't even have the accountability being accessible via e-mail (let alone who doesn't use their real name) being permitted to post questions that impose upon the time of professional translators. I have also noticed that the unregistered have a conspicuous poor record of actually awarding points to those who have taken the time to respond to their queries.

I don't think that a simplified registration process that would take no more than five minutes would be too much to ask of persons seriously seeking translation help.

I also agree with Henry re the need to eliminate empty profiles.

Bob

I do agree that people who use the site to that extent really should register, but having said that, there are a great number who have (so they can ask 5 questions a day instead of 1?) yet their profiles are 100% empty. Not even any language pairs listed, no email or any other contact info given, nothing at all. Just some sort of name and that's it.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You will never ever manage to get everyone lucky Dec 17, 2006

ProZ is an open site and it will (and IMHO shall) remain open.
What do you mean by "impose upon the time of professional translators"? Why? If you don´t like the question move on and leave it. No one forces you to take care about it.
No one forces anyone to answer any question.
We have working limits for KudoZ, and as the limits were instituded I remember some members protesting against them. Now limits are working and it is still not enough?

And on the side note:
... See more
ProZ is an open site and it will (and IMHO shall) remain open.
What do you mean by "impose upon the time of professional translators"? Why? If you don´t like the question move on and leave it. No one forces you to take care about it.
No one forces anyone to answer any question.
We have working limits for KudoZ, and as the limits were instituded I remember some members protesting against them. Now limits are working and it is still not enough?

And on the side note: What makes us professional translators? Who has given us the right to judge about the other?
I don´t think you need to place a support ticket. Personaly I do not see a big issue in it. You don´t like the asker because he/she has so many asked questions and no asnwered? You don´t like an asker with an empty profile - so flag them out, if you must.

In another thread shortly members expressed their objections against the profile updater, wanting to many information from them. Some of them even opted for remaining with almost empty profiles for whatever reason. Now you come and ask for not allowing empty profiles.
Regardless what ProZ will do, there always be someone who will not like that.

Please do not feel offended by my words, because I do not intend to offend in any way. But I really do not see the necessity to start a discussion on KudoZ limits, as long there is no real abuse of the system. Asking questions alone cannot be considered as an abuse, because KudoZ are questions and asking questions is the purpose of the system.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question limits for visitors?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »