Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2006

At present, abbreviations/acronyms/symbols come under 'general, conversation, greetings, letters'. Wouldn't it be better for the KOG if abbreviations/acronyms/symbols were listed as a separate category?

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 03:10
French to English
+ ...
great idea! Dec 26, 2006

Being more accurate/precise can only help us in the future!

Happy 2007!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No separate category Dec 26, 2006

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Some sort of change is needed Dec 26, 2006

Perhaps they could still be shown under the appropriate categories, but marked as abbreviations/acronyms. The current search field won't allow a two character search, so someone searching in English isn't able to find "e.g." or "i.e.", for example.

I support the idea!

Amy Taylor

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Henry Dec 26, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.

I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
German to English
+ ...
Yes, with 2-character searching Dec 27, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Henry Hinds wrote:

I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.

And Amy's point is important - the need to be able to search for 2-character abbreviations.
Oliver

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why make things more complicated? posts are often listed under wrong field Dec 27, 2006

Surely the simplest solution would be for 'abbreviations etc.' to be a stand-alone category for every language pair. Context will be clear from the question asked.
It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese. This sort of thing happens a
... See more
Surely the simplest solution would be for 'abbreviations etc.' to be a stand-alone category for every language pair. Context will be clear from the question asked.
It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese. This sort of thing happens all the time on the sites I participate in. This would mean extra editing chores for editors and Mods.
This is why I think abbreviations should just be a stand-alone category. If one has to check an abbreviation, that would be where to look.
And definitely agree with Amy-the 3 letter limit causes headaches when searching for abbreviations-or words with fewer than 3 letters.

[Edited at 2006-12-27 11:41]
Collapse

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
French to English
+ ...
Totally agree Dec 27, 2006

writeaway wrote:

It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese.

That's why I prefer to use the Proz term search and don't bother with the Glossary. But acronyms and abbreviations are a real problem and don't often come up in searches so I think it would be a good idea to have them as a separate category.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »