Mobile menu

Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:50
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2006

At present, abbreviations/acronyms/symbols come under 'general, conversation, greetings, letters'. Wouldn't it be better for the KOG if abbreviations/acronyms/symbols were listed as a separate category?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 09:50
French to English
+ ...
great idea! Dec 26, 2006

Being more accurate/precise can only help us in the future!

Happy 2007!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
No separate category Dec 26, 2006

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Some sort of change is needed Dec 26, 2006

Perhaps they could still be shown under the appropriate categories, but marked as abbreviations/acronyms. The current search field won't allow a two character search, so someone searching in English isn't able to find "e.g." or "i.e.", for example.

I support the idea!

Amy Taylor


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:50
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Henry Dec 26, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.


I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, with 2-character searching Dec 27, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Henry Hinds wrote:
I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.

I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.

And Amy's point is important - the need to be able to search for 2-character abbreviations.
Oliver


Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:50
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why make things more complicated? posts are often listed under wrong field Dec 27, 2006

Surely the simplest solution would be for 'abbreviations etc.' to be a stand-alone category for every language pair. Context will be clear from the question asked.
It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese. This sort of thing happens all the time on the sites I participate in. This would mean extra editing chores for editors and Mods.
This is why I think abbreviations should just be a stand-alone category. If one has to check an abbreviation, that would be where to look.
And definitely agree with Amy-the 3 letter limit causes headaches when searching for abbreviations-or words with fewer than 3 letters.

[Edited at 2006-12-27 11:41]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxcmwilliams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
French to English
+ ...
Totally agree Dec 27, 2006

writeaway wrote:

It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese.


That's why I prefer to use the Proz term search and don't bother with the Glossary. But acronyms and abbreviations are a real problem and don't often come up in searches so I think it would be a good idea to have them as a separate category.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs