JP encoding problem (staff: \'fixed\')
Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 09:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 10, 2002

It seems there is an encoding problem in Japanese. This only happens in KudoZ. My default language is set to Japanese, and all the other characters on the page (e.g., the title of the page, some other Japanese words outside of KudoZ domain) can be read with no problem. This problem is found in the ProZ web page, not in new software. (I am a Mac user, and I don\'t know whether the same problem is found in the software.)

The problem seems to occur when an asker uses Japane
... See more
It seems there is an encoding problem in Japanese. This only happens in KudoZ. My default language is set to Japanese, and all the other characters on the page (e.g., the title of the page, some other Japanese words outside of KudoZ domain) can be read with no problem. This problem is found in the ProZ web page, not in new software. (I am a Mac user, and I don\'t know whether the same problem is found in the software.)

The problem seems to occur when an asker uses Japanese words in the question box, when an answerer answers uses Japanese words in his or her answers, and when successfully answered Japanese words are registered to KudoZ glossaries.

This has been happened for a few hours (since this evening in PST), and I have seen many questions garbled.

Strangely, KudoZ notices do not have any garbled characters, even though Japanese characters are used in the question box. But, once we visit the answer site, we all see garbled characters. Once again, this garbling is only found in the KudoZ part, not in any other part.

This also happens when we answer. I have answered several, but all I saw was that my answers were all garbled. Strangely enough, katakana letters do not seem to be garbled. Only hiragana and kanji (Chinese characters) are garbled. This heppens both in the answer box and in the comment box.

When a selected answer is registered to KudoZ glossaries, I saw those kanji and hiragana garbled. I can type Japanese characters, but the registered words were all garbled.

I checked this problem from a Mac machine, a Windows machine (through Virtual PC), and a WindowsCE machine. I answered one question from any of the machines above, but the result was the same.

Collapse

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 09:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more info Dec 10, 2002

For http://www.proz.com/kudoz/324667, I provided an answer using Japanese characters (hiragana). It cannot be read, but the answer included in peer comment notices can be read with no problem. So, there might be some encoding problem in displaying Japanese words, not in the system sending notices to members.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I also experienced Chinese code converting problem in Chinese Kudozin Dec 10, 2002

I just noticed today that the Chinese questions and answers in the Kudoz cannot be converted into correct characters anymore. It only can be read on the main page of Proz.com, but when I clicked the Kudoz question and entered the next page and tried to read the question in Chinese, the code conversion feature was not working anymore. This happened in last one or two days. I hope this problem can be fixed soon.

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Same problem Dec 10, 2002

First I thought there is something wrong with my computer. I can\'t read Japanese charactor either.

I use windows 2000 in Japanese environment. I have changed around encoding but didn\'t work.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a general problem Dec 10, 2002

Well, it certainly affects Russian anyway. Russian questionnns can only be read in Cyrillic by using KudoZ.NET, not on the KudoZ questions page. Other pages such as home page and forums are not affected.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Garbled KudoZ texts Dec 10, 2002

Hi,

I will check right now.

Hermann

Indojin
Indojin
Local time: 05:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
Me too - Japanese encoding problem Dec 10, 2002

The Japanese characters are certainly garbled in the questions and the answers.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Fixed Dec 10, 2002

Hi everybody,

I have just fixed the little naughty bug. The KudoZ questions will now be displayed correctly again. If not, please let me know.

Thanks

Hermann

Indojin
Indojin
Local time: 05:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
Problem fixed Dec 10, 2002

Thanks!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Confirming bug fixed Dec 10, 2002

Yes. everything\'s fine now. Thanks, Hermann.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JP encoding problem (staff: \'fixed\')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »