KudoZ askers looking for a free translation?
Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 09:05
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 12, 2002

Does anyone regard this type of question as asking \"free translation\"?

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/326113

(Jpn -> Eng)

This person is a non-member, but he/she has been asking this type of questions these days, changing names.

I want some suggestions/comments from fellow members or from the moderators.

Thanks.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, it appears to be the same person Dec 12, 2002

For same strange reason this asker has posted questions using at least 3 different names (leela, sara, ningi)

All 3 names have been using the same email address.

Perhaps they think they are unnoticed and unconspicuous and obtained just the opposite effect.

This is not \'illegal\', just odd.

I\'m annoyed by participant that does not show their real name. The reason for changing deliberately a nickname beats me.

Mi
... See more
For same strange reason this asker has posted questions using at least 3 different names (leela, sara, ningi)

All 3 names have been using the same email address.

Perhaps they think they are unnoticed and unconspicuous and obtained just the opposite effect.

This is not \'illegal\', just odd.

I\'m annoyed by participant that does not show their real name. The reason for changing deliberately a nickname beats me.

Misteries of the human mind...

Gianfranco

Eng-Ita co-moderator

Collapse

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 12, 2002

Thanks for your reply and research.

In this case, is it okay to squash this kind of question that may ask \"free translation\"?

I have read some discussion on \"free translation\" (mainly asked by non-members) in other discusssion boards here, and I am wondering whether this is the case.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I wouldn't squash Dec 12, 2002

I don\'t think this is an outright abuse and, in my opinion, it doesn\'t call for squashing.

If you don\'t like the behaviour of this person, just refrain from answering or post a polite message asking him/her/them to show more respect for the answerers.

I think they are just behaving a bit silly, perhaps they don\'t know well the system and its base philosophy of reciprocal help.

Gianfranco

... See more
I don\'t think this is an outright abuse and, in my opinion, it doesn\'t call for squashing.

If you don\'t like the behaviour of this person, just refrain from answering or post a polite message asking him/her/them to show more respect for the answerers.

I think they are just behaving a bit silly, perhaps they don\'t know well the system and its base philosophy of reciprocal help.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-12 09:35 ]
Collapse

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again. Dec 12, 2002

Thanks again, first of all.

However, in this case, can you contact this non-member asker to warn him/her? Since it is from a non-member, we cannot directly contact this person.

It seems that the same person is keep asking other questions, using other different names which you gave above, i.e., the latest two JE questions.

Thanks.

Pawel Bartoszewicz
Pawel Bartoszewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:05
English to Polish
+ ...
Multiple users of a sigle e-mail account? Dec 13, 2002

As I happen to access proz.com from five different computers I can imagine several people sharing one computer or even an e-mail address. Given the ease of obtaining an e-mail account, it does seem odd.

Another explanation would be the person does not want to appear as abusing proz.com with too many questions, or, as the case may be, he/she cannot decide on his/her nick.

Greetings,

Pawel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ askers looking for a free translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »