Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

a fellow translator has been asking kudoz questions, which is fine, but the problem is he also provided answer to the question. for me, it looks like he needs confirmation more than answer.
my question is obviously, 'is this allowed?'
fellow translators have warned him through the note to asker feature, but then they also provided their answers to the questions, which i think kinda beating the purpose of warning him...

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Yes, it is allowed Apr 29, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

a fellow translator has been asking kudoz questions, which is fine, but the problem is he also provided answer to the question. for me, it looks like he needs confirmation more than answer.
my question is obviously, 'is this allowed?'

Yes, it is allowed. Why shouldn't it? The asker needs confirmation of a term and provides whan he believes could be the best option. He has worked on the term, found a possible translation and is sharing it as part of the information he has on the term.

fellow translators have warned him through the note to asker feature

In fact these warnings are not in line with site rules http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7 (comments on asker) and http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.3#1.3 (improper use of the "ask the asker" box).

Regards,
Enrique

Regards,
Enrique

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer on term/phrase field Apr 29, 2007

is it still ok if the answer is typed in the term/phrase field, instead of in the explanation field?

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The suggested translation should be in the explanation field Apr 29, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

is it still ok if the answer is typed in the term/phrase field, instead of in the explanation field?

The suggested translation should be in the explanation field.

Regards,
Enrique

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
asker typed in answer in the term/phrase field Apr 29, 2007

well, the asker is the one who typed the question and also the answer in the term/phrase field.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Improper use of the provided fieds Apr 29, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

well, the asker is the one who typed the question and also the answer in the term/phrase field.

Then these is a problem, but it is related to the improper use of the provided fieds in the KudoZ interface (rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.3#1.3 ) and not with the fact that an answer is provided by the asker.

I suggest contacting a moderator (dedicated to the pair or working on a similar pair) or submitting a support request.

Regards,
Enrique

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
used the support Apr 29, 2007

thanks for the reply, enrique. i'm contacting the support.

[Edited at 2007-04-29 15:10]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Just a guess.. Apr 29, 2007

Just had a look at the questions - it appears to me that the asker is new to Kudoz, and confused Kudoz questions with the Kudoz glossary, thinking that this is how you enter a term into the glossary..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

asker provides answer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »