Hikmat  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:51
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
May 8, 2007

Dear Everybody,
I just noticed that recently one asker said in his thank you note (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1898942) that he wished he could shared the kudoz points because the answer he chose was combination of two answers.
It happened to me too when I posted Kudoz question (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1897920), I decided to combine two answers to the glossary, but I couldn't shared the points to the two answerers as a courtesy.
I haven't checked whether this has been previously discussed, but I need other members opinion whether they faced similar experience.
Do you think we need to share Kudoz points?
Do we have to suggest the site to add the feature of awarding Kudoz points to more than one answerer?
Thank you all for sharing and giving thoughts.

[Diedit pada 2007-05-08 04:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 02:51
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
This has been asked several times before...... May 8, 2007

Hikmat Gumilar wrote:

Dear Everybody,
I just noticed that recently one asker said in his thank you note (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1898942) that he wished he could shared the kudoz points because the answer he chose was combination of two answers.
It happened to me too when I posted Kudoz question (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1897920), I decided to combine two answers to the glossary, but I couldn't shared the points to the two answerers as a courtesy.
I haven't checked whether this has been previously discussed, but I need other members opinion whether they faced similar experience.
Do we have to suggest the site to add the feature of awarding Kudoz points to more than one answerer?

... and the reply has always been "NO". Apparently it isn't considered feasible. Agree that it would often be a great solution.

Danae Ferri  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to Greek
+ ...
yes May 8, 2007

It has also happened to me and I was really sorry not to be able to give points to more than one answerer.

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 21:51
SITE STAFF
Evaluated and discarded May 8, 2007

Hi Hikmat,

You can find this in the FAQs:

50. ASKING: Can I award points to more than one answer?

No, you may only select one "most helpful" answer. (Things even out for answerers over time.)

The suggestion to allow points to be split among answerers was evaluated and discarded again as part of the (not yet released) KudoZ plan.

The logic behind this decision was that the (important) complications to the code, use and administration that this change would introduce in KudoZ were larger than the perceived advantages.

Regards,
Enrique

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Henrique's answer is very sensible May 8, 2007

I think askers have to accept the responsibility of making their own minds up about the most appropriate answer. Otherwise, we're going eventually to have requests to be allowed to award half-points or decimal places of points.

If you want to reward an answerer to whom you didn't award the points, you can always add a personalised expression of gratitude to their answer. Personally, I'd always rather have a thoughtful comment from the asker than the points.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 8, 2007

Hikmat Gumilar wrote:

Of course, Kudoz MUST be shared to use this repartition in some cases.

[Edited at 2007-05-08 14:25]

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 21:51
SITE STAFF
Right! May 8, 2007

lexical wrote:

I think askers have to accept the responsibility of making their own minds up about the most appropriate answer. Otherwise, we're going eventually to have requests to be allowed to award half-points or decimal places of points.

You are right, this was part of the evaluation as well. You could expect requests to equally divide 4 points between 3 answers perceived as equally helpful.

Regards,
Enrique

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Sorry, Enrique May 8, 2007

...because I called you Henrique - I was thinking in Portuguese again!

Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 17:51
English to Spanish
What about..? May 8, 2007

What about when none of the answers is correct, and you find it in another source, but still you keep getting messages urging you to grade one of the answers you got?

What I did was to write a message in the asker's box to every one of the answerers thanking them but also telling them what the right translation was, but that doesn't seem to be enough as I keep receiving messages urging me to grade one of them.

Ángel

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Close without grading May 9, 2007

Angel Biojo wrote:

What about when none of the answers is correct, and you find it in another source, but still you keep getting messages urging you to grade one of the answers you got?

What I did was to write a message in the asker's box to every one of the answerers thanking them but also telling them what the right translation was, but that doesn't seem to be enough as I keep receiving messages urging me to grade one of them.

Ángel

Hi Ángel,

In this case, you could close the question without grading, by choosing "Answer found elsewhere". It's kind of you to mention what the found answer was; unfortunately, not all the people do that.

Mihai

[Edited at 2007-05-09 08:23]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I give the points to the answerer who has least May 9, 2007

I have run into this problem several times.

Usually it is possible to follow rules - the most helpful or the person who came in first with the suggestion.

When the one who took more time also gives a more detailed explanation that really helps, then the points go there, etc.

When I really can't decide, I give the points to the person who has least.

In our communities we have a few people who earn dozens of points every week, and four points more or less are no big deal. They're great, especially when there is no other answer! But if someone else just once in a while gets to their level, then I give the points to the 'newbie', and I'm sure the others understand.

It is after all a game, and you can't win all the time.

If I find the answer from another source, I give at least a couple of points to the closest KudoZ answer anyway - as thanks for trying. Or else you can 'close without grading' if no one has found anything useful.

lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
agree Sep 3, 2007

Hikmat wrote:

Dear Everybody,

Yes, this is why I am here today. I asked two questions, and ran into such situations twice today, not speaking the similiar cases before.

I will be sorry and uncomfortable if I accept two answers but give points to only one person.

[Edited at 2007-09-03 03:08]

larserik  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
How can dividing Kudoz be a problem? Nov 23, 2007

I agree with Christine Andersen's suggestions, but still it seems necessary to have the possibility to divide the kudoz points among the answerers. In which cases? There are plenty of cases mentioned already.
Since I am not a programmer, I don't know how to technically enable the dividing of points. But when I think of all the other problems already solved, I fail to see why this one is such an obstacle. Give it a try, please!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giving Kudoz points to more than one answerer

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs