Hani Hassaan
Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 09:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 13, 2007

What will you feel If stop your work and spend your precious time to make a search for a question that is asked by one of kudoz’s asker, what will you feel If you finally find the right answer supported by link to prove u answer is righ, then u have no thanks or points,. many times, I stop working to help other translators by answering Kudoz, and what really astonishes me and make me sad, after I give the right Answer, the asker does not give me any points or thanks, from here I call for new ... See more
What will you feel If stop your work and spend your precious time to make a search for a question that is asked by one of kudoz’s asker, what will you feel If you finally find the right answer supported by link to prove u answer is righ, then u have no thanks or points,. many times, I stop working to help other translators by answering Kudoz, and what really astonishes me and make me sad, after I give the right Answer, the asker does not give me any points or thanks, from here I call for new rules imposing on askers of kudoz to give points.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-14 13:08]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 01:45
English to Spanish
That's the name of the game...! May 13, 2007

"Some people do, some people don't."

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't."

Wanna help? Just help, or don't help. That's all about.

ozan karakış
ozan karakış
Türkiye
Local time: 10:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
I agree May 13, 2007

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:45
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

KudoZ rules May 13, 2007

The KudoZ rules are quite clear and indicate that the asker should review the suggested answers and select the most helpful one by awarding 1 to 4 points to the site user who provided it.

The problem is that you cannot force anyone to close the question if he/she doesn't want to do that. In order to prevent the possibility of leaving some answered questions without grading, an automatic grading system was invented:

"If a question has received answers but not been closed
... See more
The KudoZ rules are quite clear and indicate that the asker should review the suggested answers and select the most helpful one by awarding 1 to 4 points to the site user who provided it.

The problem is that you cannot force anyone to close the question if he/she doesn't want to do that. In order to prevent the possibility of leaving some answered questions without grading, an automatic grading system was invented:

"If a question has received answers but not been closed within three days, email is sent to the asker reminding him or her to grade. If the question remains open after four such reminders have been sent (over 2 weeks), an attempt is made to select the best answer automatically. An 'autograding robot' makes its selection based on the net number of peer 'agrees' received by each answer, according to the following rules:
- To be considered, an answer must have at least two "net agrees" (agrees-disagrees).
- The answer with the highest number of net agrees is selected. If two answers have the same number of net agrees, the last one entered is selected. The idea is that if two answers gather the same number of net agrees, the one that did so in a shorter period of time may be better.)

If no answer has at least 2 net agrees, it remains open."

http://www.proz.com/?sp=about/kudoz

Besides, if you have some bad experiences with some askers, you can always refrain from giving answers to his/her questions. Have an aye on the KudoZ tool which serves to flag or filter the questions according to the asker:

http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=dashboard&sp_mode=kudoz&sp_kudoz_mode=flagsandfilters

Best regards,
Monika A. Jakacka
KudoZ moderator
Collapse

mayisa (X)
mayisa (X)
English to Spanish
The way I look at it May 13, 2007

There is something a little strange about expecting the person who was confused enough to ask a question in the first place, to be able to choose the best answer. I just don't worry about it. Even if the asker has decided that my answer was not what s/he wanted, other translators who later consult the glossaries and find my answer displayed among all the rest, are free to choose it and use it. So our precious time is not really wasted. It will help others in the future, and in the meantime, we h... See more
There is something a little strange about expecting the person who was confused enough to ask a question in the first place, to be able to choose the best answer. I just don't worry about it. Even if the asker has decided that my answer was not what s/he wanted, other translators who later consult the glossaries and find my answer displayed among all the rest, are free to choose it and use it. So our precious time is not really wasted. It will help others in the future, and in the meantime, we have learned something.Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
It's the glossary! May 13, 2007

Dear mayisa - what a wonderful way to look at it. It's good to see new members with this kind of professional attitude. An anti-point grabber's attitude. I'm sure we'll benefit from your contributions.

Best wishes, Kim

sarahjeanne (X)
sarahjeanne (X)
Brazil
Local time: 04:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Right on! May 13, 2007

mayisa wrote:

There is something a little strange about expecting the person who was confused enough to ask a question in the first place, to be able to choose the best answer. I just don't worry about it. Even if the asker has decided that my answer was not what s/he wanted, other translators who later consult the glossaries and find my answer displayed among all the rest, are free to choose it and use it. So our precious time is not really wasted. It will help others in the future, and in the meantime, we have learned something.

When I'm looking through the terms and I find an answer that wasn't awarded points but was really the right answer I give it an Agree, even though the question is closed; and if the answer chosen as correct is wrong I give it a disagree with a note explaining why. Even though it's been closed I think its good to do this for other people looking through the terms. I started doing it when I saw a term where someone had done the same thing, and it saved me from using the wrong term.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
You're right, Mayisa May 13, 2007

mayisa wrote:
So our precious time is not really wasted.

Whenever I've asked a question on KudoZ, ALL answers are good for me, because they enlighten my mind and let me look at the meaning in many ways, allowing me a better understanding of my context, and concluding that all of them are helpful.

The rules say that you have to choose ONE, which is often a difficult choice.

So, Hani Hassaan, you never waste your time. Be sure of that.

Regards.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 13, 2007

mayisa wrote:

There is something a little strange about expecting the person who was confused enough to ask a question in the first place, to be able to choose the best answer. I just don't worry about it. Even if the asker has decided that my answer was not what s/he wanted, other translators who later consult the glossaries and find my answer displayed among all the rest, are free to choose it and use it. So our precious time is not really wasted. It will help others in the future, and in the meantime, we have learned something.

Agree 100 %.
And welcome to Proz, mayisa.

Walter

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
My feelings exactly. And you can always comment on the glossary entry... May 14, 2007

Sarah Johnson wrote:

mayisa wrote:

When I'm looking through the terms and I find an answer that wasn't awarded points but was really the right answer I give it an Agree, even though the question is closed; and if the answer chosen as correct is wrong I give it a disagree with a note explaining why. Even though it's been closed I think its good to do this for other people looking through the terms. I started doing it when I saw a term where someone had done the same thing, and it saved me from using the wrong term.

These are my thoughts exactly!!

I would only add that one has the option to go to the Glossary entry and agree or dissagree with it, in addition to adding a comment, definition or example.

I use this feature, either when using the glossary or when I am convinced the answer chosen is really incorrect (or needs editing or comenting). Don't know how many people use this feature too...

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Re: New rules May 14, 2007

Heidi C wrote:

Sarah Johnson wrote:

mayisa wrote:

These are my thoughts exactly!!

And mine!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Asker should pick the answer deemed most helpful May 14, 2007

mayisa wrote:

Please note that the asker is required to select the "answer deemed most helpful", not the "correct" answer.

I agree about the usage of the glossary. I open the related questions and look at all answers and comments, and I find these exchanges very useful.

Regards,
Enrique

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Question about glossary May 14, 2007

I see that once question has been closed and something has been added to the glossary there is a chance to edit or comment on this entry.

Do people use it? (I do)

Can people see these comments somewhere?

Just wondering...

:-/

Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
are points all that's important? May 14, 2007

Today, I closed a Kudos question by choosing the answer that had been most helpful to me and thanking all answerers, and the author of the answer I had not selected decided to hide his answer and give me an angry comment: "sorry to have wasted my time".

This I found really, really strange. Is the only reason people answer Kudo's question gathering points? And was it a waste of time if your question was not chosen? And is that even a reason to feel offended?

I don't thi
... See more
Today, I closed a Kudos question by choosing the answer that had been most helpful to me and thanking all answerers, and the author of the answer I had not selected decided to hide his answer and give me an angry comment: "sorry to have wasted my time".

This I found really, really strange. Is the only reason people answer Kudo's question gathering points? And was it a waste of time if your question was not chosen? And is that even a reason to feel offended?

I don't think people who ask Kudos questions are always confused and unable to select the answer that was most helpful to them. I think I was perfectly able to judge which answer helped me most.

As someone has suggested above, it's not only about the points, there is also the element of 'helping people'. And hiding your answer is really not helpful to people who have the same question later on, view the question asked before and want to decide for themselves which answer is most helpful to THEM.

Of course people should close questions and thank those who answered, but there is no reason to become all offended when the points are awarded to someone else than you.

Iris.
Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
we are "intellectuals", I hope May 14, 2007

Hi Iris,

It is unfortunate that people get angry over points. To me, that is a sign of immaturity.

We have many different levels of ability on proz and that is ok. Some of us have specific expertise while others want to learn.

People who don't want to help others, shouldn't. When posting an answer, everyone should remember that, even though YOU think you are right, the asker may not agree - that's life!

There are only two things in kudoz tha
... See more
Hi Iris,

It is unfortunate that people get angry over points. To me, that is a sign of immaturity.

We have many different levels of ability on proz and that is ok. Some of us have specific expertise while others want to learn.

People who don't want to help others, shouldn't. When posting an answer, everyone should remember that, even though YOU think you are right, the asker may not agree - that's life!

There are only two things in kudoz that irritate me: rude people and "wrong" answers being entered in the glossary....then, you might say, but Rita, who is to say what is wrong?

ah...isn't that what intellectual discourse is all about?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New rules: askers should give points

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »