https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/74250-directory_listing%3A_how_exactly_does_it_work.html

Directory listing: How exactly does it work?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
May 31, 2007

I don't know if this is best put in the KudoZ forum or elsewhere ...

I am somewhat puzzled about the way the directory listing works:

1) I have gathered some points in Medical, but when I search the directory to see my current position, I seem not to have any points in the medical field. This means that my position is inferior to what I would think it should be.

2) When searching the directory (just to see what a potential client would find) one can choo
... See more
I don't know if this is best put in the KudoZ forum or elsewhere ...

I am somewhat puzzled about the way the directory listing works:

1) I have gathered some points in Medical, but when I search the directory to see my current position, I seem not to have any points in the medical field. This means that my position is inferior to what I would think it should be.

2) When searching the directory (just to see what a potential client would find) one can choose either the top level 'Medical' (which appears as choice no. 3 from the top of the scroll menu) or a series of other categories like 'Medical (general)', 'Medical (pharmaceuticals)' etc.
I would think that the top level 'Medical' would include any point gathered under the different other medical categories, but this seems not to be the case.

How does it work???

rgds,
Peter
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Points shown in the directory are specific to the language pair and direction May 31, 2007

I've just done a search in the Freelancers' directory for English -> Danish in the field "Medical". You appear to have 0 points in this pair for this field. I then did a search for Spanish -> Danish, again in "Medical". You are top in this field with 4 points.

Checking your profile shows you have 16 points in Medical; I imagine that you earned the others in Danish -> English, Danish -> Spanish or something else again. They won't show up when someone does a search on the same langag
... See more
I've just done a search in the Freelancers' directory for English -> Danish in the field "Medical". You appear to have 0 points in this pair for this field. I then did a search for Spanish -> Danish, again in "Medical". You are top in this field with 4 points.

Checking your profile shows you have 16 points in Medical; I imagine that you earned the others in Danish -> English, Danish -> Spanish or something else again. They won't show up when someone does a search on the same langage pair but with the source and target texts reversed.

The idea is that clients can see your expertise in a given field in the language pair they need - it's irrelevant to the client that you have 3,000 kudoz in Electronics in Swahili - English if they're looking for a legal translator from Japanese to Arabic.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 08:02]
Collapse

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, now I see ... May 31, 2007

Silly me! I simply thought that points in a field counted per se, but now I see that it is liaised to the specific language pair.

I don't think that it is 100% fair. I think that 'field points' should count per se, i.e. that all points within a given field should count for themselves, as they tell something about your knowledge within that field (as it is now, they 'only' say something about your knowledge specific to the pair and field; this could be a fraction only for some answe
... See more
Silly me! I simply thought that points in a field counted per se, but now I see that it is liaised to the specific language pair.

I don't think that it is 100% fair. I think that 'field points' should count per se, i.e. that all points within a given field should count for themselves, as they tell something about your knowledge within that field (as it is now, they 'only' say something about your knowledge specific to the pair and field; this could be a fraction only for some answerers ...).

Thanks for enlightening me, Marie-Hélène!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Directory listing: How exactly does it work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »