Thanks for KudoZ!
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
Czech to German
+ ...
Jun 8, 2007

Hi,

I have been using proz.com for several years now and rarely was in need to look up any KudoZ term but this time, having to translate a contract in a sort of "legal slang" almost completely alien to me I was extremely glad to find that a lot of my expressions had already been asked and translated - not only into German - and what at first had looked really terribly bit by bit became intelligible and my translation went on quite smoothly.

So now this being finished I would like to say a really big Thank you to all of you who contribute to this database and also to proz.com staff for their work (and the brilliant idea of KudoZ)! Without your help I would have gone lost in this translation...

Have a nice week-end,

Charlotte

[Edited at 2007-06-08 20:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree Jun 8, 2007

Hi Charlotte

I agree with you. When people know Proz.com and know KudoZ for years, they usually forget about how fantastic it is when you discover it.

I often get started translators into Proz.com and discovering KudoZ is like discovering something you wonder how you could live without it.

This has been possible only thanks to a community.
KudoZ has its detractors, some will say that those who ask are ignorants and that those who answer only want KudoZ points. They can say whatever they want, I don't mind. Every time I see an amazed translator who says that it's fantastic I'm brought back to the very beginning, when I discovered it myself.

Claudia

[Editado a las 2007-06-08 22:43]

Mihaela Ghiuzeli  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
Thanks for KudoZ Jun 9, 2007

Hi Claudia,

Just like you, I value Kudoz as a great resource as well as a vehicle to reach out and connect with other colleagues. The thought of having someone far away researching and contributing to your translation is heart warming.
However, without sounding as a detractor, at times, I feel that people just want the Kudoz. I recently found myself the only one who posted for a no points question while other questions, the same day, stirred heated debates.I hope that it was a one time random exception.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Vive ProZ! Jun 9, 2007

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi Charlotte

I agree with you. When people know Proz.com and know KudoZ for years, they usually forget about how fantastic it is when you discover it.

I often get started translators into Proz.com and discovering KudoZ is like discovering something you wonder how you could live without it.

This has been possible only thanks to a community.
KudoZ has its detractors, some will say that those who ask are ignorants and that those who answer only want KudoZ points. They can say whatever they want, I don't mind. Every time I see an amazed translator who says that it's fantastic I'm brought back to the very beginning, when I discovered it myself.

Claudia

[Editado a las 2007-06-08 22:43]

Absolutely agree. Kudoz is such a help. I don't mind if a few people are "points grabbers" - it's really heart-warming to receive such generous help from colleagues either through glossaries or individual "new" questions, and I enjoy trying to help others too.
Thanks again, everyone who contributes.
Vive ProZ!
Jenny.

Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:47
Italian to English
+ ...
evviva kudoz Jun 9, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

[Absolutely agree. Kudoz is such a help. I don't mind if a few people are "points grabbers" - it's really heart-warming to receive such generous help from colleagues either through glossaries or individual "new" questions, and I enjoy trying to help others too.
Thanks again, everyone who contributes.
Vive ProZ!
Jenny.

I wholeheartedly agree. Not only have I had some seemingly obscure terms answered in a matter of minutes from across the world, I've had the opportunity to engage in some thought-provoking discussions over language issues with colleagues, something that would otherwise be very difficult to achieve from our own little microcosms. I think the professionalism and approachability of almost all Kudoz-contributing Prozians is such a testament to the diversity of skills and the incredible knowledge base - and the willingness to share knowledge is just a beautiful thing.

So evviva kudoz from me too

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:47
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
KudoZ is exciting Jun 9, 2007

KudoZ seems to trigger the best and the worst from everybody. Great competence and generosity in some, and excessive animosity, greed and even aggressivity in others.
In 7 years many of the latter group have been excluded from using KudoZ, or will be in the future, if they don't amend their behaviour.

I look at the better side and enjoy both participating and querying the results. Of course, not all answers are good, but of course, we should not suspend our analytical capacity and we can discard any suggestion that is clearly incorrect or not suitable for our translation problem.

KudoZ, in general, is exciting.

Gianfranco

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
The riches of the world at our fingertips Jun 9, 2007

How true it is: whereas before a challenging word or set of terms might have meant a long day at a library, now in a sense all the professional resources of the world are made available to us at a click! I have really learned so much from asking and answering the KudoZ questions, and mainly from engaging in discussions with others in the language community.

Long live KudoZ and the ProZ community!

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
This thread is an example Jun 9, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote: now in a sense all the professional resources of the world are made available to us at a click! I have really learned so much from asking and answering the KudoZ questions, and mainly from engaging in discussions with others in the language community.
Long live KudoZ and the ProZ community!

And this thread is a kind of example: Within a day, an intelligent conversation between people in the Czech Republic, Chile, Italy, Australia, USA, Canada, UK.
Oliver

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:47
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
One of the most wonderful experiences in my professional life Jun 12, 2007

Hi Charlotte and fellow ProZians!

Indeed, one could say AVE KUDOZ !
Not only a good way to get your doubts cleared.
But also a great way to keep in touch with other fellow professionals - old and young, newcomers and experts, same-ol'-songs and fresh air,...

Moreover, one does find friends here! Helping friends.
I will always remember, about two years ago (when I was not so experienced as a technical translator): getting a new project in a well-known language combination, but rather complicated; seeing an obscure term which repeated itself not least than 500 times; posting the KudoZ (with a looooong context to show the asked term)... and a good friend popped up telling me: "This must be nonsense; the text is inconsistent, excessively obscure, too unusual; you'd better ask the client if this isn't actually a bad translation from another third language". I did ask this to the client - he didn't know either, of course, so he went on inquiring... And finally, two days afterwards, a new original to be translated appeared - easy, consistent, coherent, "idiot-proof". And the asked term, the much-repeated term... had suddenly changed for good!
Conclusion: the client (an agency, actually) hadn't noticed that the "original to translate" wasn't such! It had to be a good friend, ready to help a "freshman", who did open his eyes and told me to open mine. With a surprising result.
This was the only time this happened to me - but enough to REALLY engage and become enthusiastic!

Thanks to this community, my professional life has experienced a huge leap forward!

Regards,
Fabio

[Edited at 2007-06-12 01:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks for KudoZ!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs