Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:53
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2007

Hi everybody

I usually talk a lot to other people about my ProZian experience. And I happen to convince newcomers to register as users. OK - they register, fill their main data in, and then wait and see what happens!
Only a few of them engage in KudoZ - which is, after all, what gave life to ProZ from the very beginning. And one of its most fascinating features, too! Even better than engaging in forums - because forums are there for the people who visit them (with a specific interest), but KudoZ are sort of "two-in-one": questions + a miniature forum included (if we think what people do with the Ask Asker feature, it's no exaggeration to say that a KudoZ automatically becomes a "mini-forum" about the specific question).

But... How could we achieve that EVERY new user registered becomes involved in KudoZ activity? By automatically notifying them!
This is discussable, I know - after all, it's not nice to have your email box filled with lots of those things if you don't want them. But seen from the other side - if people just register and "wait and see", then nothing will happen! Unless one day they happen to notice that KudoZ do exist.

Opinions welcome!

Direct link Reply with quote

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A welcome e-mail would be nice Jun 14, 2007

Honestly, Fabio, I can't remember if I received one, but it would be nice to have a welcome e-mail that mentions the various features of the site, because the general tendency is for people to overlook them sometimes.

Amy

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:53
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only in a very limited way Jun 14, 2007

I agree in principle with your concern. I included Proz.com in the syllabus for a translation class and asked all my students to visit it. Most found interesting things, but said they couldn't really figure out how it worked. A couple of them asked for a private tutorial. Clearly, a little guidance is in order, and I agree that KudoZ is the best place to start.

But I have McAfee security, and for certain sites that I visit they regularly give a pop-up alert that the site is "very spammy," based on the number of emails they received after registering on the site. We don't want that kind of reputation, do we? I don't think we can send out a lot of unsolicited emails and expect good results.

I don't know what response people get when they register; I assume a "Welcome to ProZ.com" email? Maybe that email could request permission to send an occasional KudoZ email, explaining that KudoZ is one of the central features of the site?

Kevin Zhang
Local time: 00:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
A good feature of proz Jun 14, 2007

I am a newcomer, and i have started to enjoy this feature.

It really benefits me.

However, imo, the notification emails seem to be a little boring.

There is still some space to improve this function.

Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your situation is easy to solve Jun 14, 2007

Zhendong Zhang wrote:
I am a newcomer, and i have started to enjoy this feature.
It really benefits me.
However, imo, the notification emails seem to be a little boring.
There is still some space to improve this function.

Hi Zhendong,

Thanks for your opinion.
OK, if KudoZ notifications bore you, you just choose "KudoZ Notifications off" and ready. You can go to the KudoZ listing and choose already published KudoZ to answer whenever you want.

The thing I am asking to do, is exactly the opposite: people who don't have a clue about KudoZ, how we can induce them to "go there"!

Regards,
Fabio

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:53
English to Norwegian
+ ...
another newcomer Jun 14, 2007

Is it possible to not notice KudoZ?
I joined last month, and am rather proud of my 32 KudoZ points
Since I actually paid money to join proz.com - naturally I was interested in getting the most out of it. And the KudoZ questions in my language pair was sitting there right in front of me when I opened the site.
So I jumped in and asked and answered some questions.
I agree that this is useful and something to learn from.

Newcomers who are not interested enough to notice this feature, would not do so any more by being pestered with unsolicited emails, I think. I can't remember if I got a welcoming mail from proz when I joined - I probably did, but who reads those?

I think that the reason people do not praticipate is either
1. they are not interested - mails would not help.
2. They are too timid - mails may help, but not "automatic" notifications.

Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beware of spam! Jun 14, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
But I have McAfee security, and for certain sites that I visit they regularly give a pop-up alert that the site is "very spammy," based on the number of emails they received after registering on the site. We don't want that kind of reputation, do we? I don't think we can send out a lot of unsolicited emails and expect good results.

Jane, your appreciation is most valuable. And makes me remember of some people who have complained about not receiving emails.

Perhaps we should ask the developers about this very specific aspect - to make ProZ.com emails "spam-proof", I mean, to ensure that no ISP system recognizes them as spam.

Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only spam if unsolicited. Jun 15, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:

Perhaps we should ask the developers about this very specific aspect - to make ProZ.com emails "spam-proof", I mean, to ensure that no ISP system recognizes them as spam.

I don't think the regular ProZ emails are a problem--just unsolicited ones. I get KudoZ notifications every day and my ISP doesn't warn me about spam when I open ProZ.

Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some spam, indeed Jun 15, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
I don't think the regular ProZ emails are a problem--just unsolicited ones.

I have received from time to time some KudoZ marked as "Spam". My ISP doesn't block them, but they are marked.
So if some people do have powerful anti-spam systems, it could be that they don't get some KudoZ emails at all.

Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Guided tour? Jun 15, 2007

Maybe we could implement a "guided tour" feature like some sites do.

Personally, I liked Amy's suggestion of a welcoming e-mail, although as Hilde pointed out many people might not read that. I think it could be worth doing anyway just to make new users feel welcome and to enhance the feeling of being part of a community. Or does it already exist? I honestly can't remember...

I do feel that just a gentle pointer would be more efficient than lots of unwanted e-mails, especially as the e-mails wouldn't explain how KudoZ works or all the good things that come out of them to newcomers.

So maybe we could set up a "would you like a guided tour?" feature that new users could see when they open ProZ.com for the first time after having registered and which could then be placed in the "About" column for future reference.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good idea, Kathryn Jun 15, 2007

I like it!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I like the Guided tour suggestion. Jun 15, 2007

I like the guided tour suggestion.

It is not spam.
It can give more detail than a mail.
Anyone not interested can ignore it.

Those who did not catch it all the first time can go round again.

It could give a demonstration of the steps through KudoZ, or show an example or two of a good dialogue and how to look at confidence levels, agrees, references etc.

It could show a couple of obviously fictive BB entries, (www.idealagency. and www.swindle&humbug. or some such names, with WWAs ...) and how to find colleagues in the directories, or features like that.

It would take time to set up of course - but I think it would be time well spent!

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Guided tour Jun 15, 2007

Excellent idea!

Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guided tour: perfect! Jun 15, 2007

I agree, too--especially with the idea of having it easily accessible from the menu for those of us who wonder what we're still missing. Every now and then I still just go read a few FAQs under "About."

Now, who's going to submit this solution? This forum has no assigned moderator, and it's not the "suggestions" forum. But there's no sense in all of us inundating the site staff with the same suggestion. Fabio, will you run with this ball? Or would you like one of the rest of us to do so?

Jane

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
Great threads, great suggestions! Jun 15, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Now, who's going to submit this solution? This forum has no assigned moderator, and it's not the "suggestions" forum. But there's no sense in all of us inundating the site staff with the same suggestion. Fabio, will you run with this ball? Or would you like one of the rest of us to do so?

Hi friendZ,

Thanks to all for this thread. I have already tagged it into our to-dos list.

Thanks a lot!
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ notifications for newcomers

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs