Awarding KudoZ points - a duplicate of my answer got the points
Thread poster: Nitza Ramos

Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2003

I am amazed at the way some people award their KudoZ points. On January 8 at 9:09 pm I was the first one to answer a question and the same day at 9:30 pm somebody else gave the same answer I did. Much to my surprise and even though this person was No. 4 on the list of answers, it was the one chosen.

I know this has been previously discussed and it seems to have become a neverending story, but it just doesn\'t seem right.

Now that it\'s out of my system I\'ll keep on going with this wonderful and beautiful day. Thanks for listening )

By the way.... the question was \"Seis parqueos y parqueo privado\" and my answer as \"Six parking spaces and private parking\".

Direct link Reply with quote

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:43
English
+ ...
There is NO justice on this lowly Earth Jan 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 15:16, NRCV wrote:

I am amazed at the way some people award their KudoZ points....

I know this has been previously discussed ...

END QUOTE

Individual Prozie souls gravitate towards one another in autopoieitic ways like sex, race, social class, personal interests, previous incarnations and whatever.

It\'s only a matter of time before you weave yourself into the fabric: be patient and loving and you will win out in the end.

QUOTE AGAIN

By the way.... the question was \"Seis parqueos y parqueo privado\" and my answer as \"Six parking spaces and private parking\".

END UOTE

How about \"six-space private parking\"?

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 03:43
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Picaresque is everywhere Jan 21, 2003

even at ProZ.com!
[addsig]

Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
What is the point... Jan 21, 2003

What is the point in arguing on Kudoz points.

It is just an occasion to exercise and, sometimes, help somebody in their jobs/homeworks.

Sometimes I also receive the reprimands of the ones to whom I did not assign the kudoz points while their answer was the best possible option: It can be but I can make mistakes and the answerer too can be too convinced about his competence.

It is more important to get jobs!

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-21 16:12]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-21 16:27]

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
KudoZ rules Jan 21, 2003

Hola Nitza,

Please read the rules below. I copied them from the KudoZ rule book. Pay attention, in particular, to rule 3.

Please keep on contributing.

M

1. The KudoZ system is to be used for terms help only. Making announcements, or otherwise misusing the KudoZ platform, is prohibited.

2. Postings are not to be personal in nature. All questions, answers, peer opinions and other postings should focus strictly on terminology.

3. While it may be considerate in some cases to write to an asker privately, inquiring or commenting to an asker regarding his or her grading decisions is forbidden. It is also not appropriate to comment on an asker\'s decision to post a certain question; policing the site is an optional role of moderators, not of regular members.

4. The references area should be used strictly for citing references. Comments such as \'I lived in Germany for 5 years\' should not be entered in the references input boxes.

5. Always assume good faith. Example: while an answer may seem to be merely a copy of the answers that have preceeded it, it is also possible that an answerer was viewing a copy of the page in which the prior answers had not yet appeared.

6. Do not enter terms in all capitals (for \'this\', do not write \'THIS\'). Do not capitalize the term or the first word of your phrase unless it should always take a capital (for example, if it\'s a country name, etc.).

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the reminder Jan 21, 2003

Marcus, I am very respectful of everyone and I would never give out names or contact anyone to inquire about posting a question or grading an answer. I don\'t see any relevance in pointing out No. 3 to me, but thank you anyway... I appreciate your interest.

xxxxeni
English to Russian
+ ...
We know how you feel Jan 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 15:16, NRCV wrote:

I know this has been previously discussed and it seems to have become a neverending story, but it just doesn\'t seem right.

Now that it\'s out of my system I\'ll keep on going with this wonderful and beautiful day. Thanks for listening )

As I understand, to get it out of your system was the whole point here. You certainly do not violate any KudoZ rules by that. Sometimes it helps to know that other people know how you feel... I do

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Xenos Jan 21, 2003

Thank you for your comment.... and yes, that was the point.... letting it out of the system. Thanks again.

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
You forgot to wish Luis a happy New Year.... Jan 21, 2003

And that counts.

I just wrote him a little mail.

Maybe he can still learn a thing or two.

Don\'t forget HTH, happy Easter, Feliz Cumpleaños or whatever next time

Maya

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
an attempt to explain Jan 21, 2003

Hello

Did the asker have a proz.com profile?

If not, it may be a posting from one of the several thousand associate websites by a person who doesn\'t know anything about proz.com and the Kudoz-System.

the in-box of the asker:

9h30 answer (last answer on top)

8h30 answer (your answer)

The asker opens first the 9h30 answer because it is on top of his Mail-Inbox.

He is grading this answer without looking at the other answers.

The person who gave the 9h30 answer got the question in his Mail-Box and was answering it without checking if the question had already been answered.

So there would have been no bad intention by anybody, only a good portion of carelessness...

Best regards,

Kurt

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good intentions... Jan 22, 2003

Kurt,

There is always the benefit of the doubt, but in this particular case the question was posted by a member of ProZ and an active one too. But maybe you are right, maybe there was no bad intention from his part and it\'s all a misunderstanding.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happy B-Day........ and all other celebrations too! Jan 22, 2003

Maya, you are funny! Thanks.

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Violation of Kudoz-Etiquette leads to violation of Kudoz-Etiquette? Jan 22, 2003

Hello Niza

Quote:

2. Postings are not to be personal in nature. All questions, answers, peer opinions and other postings should focus strictly on terminology.

You didn\'t violate rule 2 but another person.

Quote:
Hi Xyxc...and Happy New Year!

Quote:
KudoZ postings that violate any of the Rules may be deleted.

On this grounds you could have asked (a moderator?) to delete this answer.

possibilties of not repeating already given answers but to give some further synonyms or comment:

addenda: [or, yxcvb]

I agree with the answer given by Niza, another synomym could be yxcvb

As well I would like to make the following comment:

Quote:
I\'m sure [and according to the Oxford] that they are yxcvbnn \"bnmjkl\", though I\'ve also heard yxcvbnn \"yxcvb\" used. As to the \"cvbnmk hg dfghjk\"...this could be either \"sdfghjk bnmjkl\" but is more likely, I believe, to be a xcvbnm/klxcvbnm bnmjkl ...located in the xcvbnm uiopls lot on the third storey of the building.

Kind regards,

Kurt

P.S. Kudoz Spanish into English seems to be very competitive, amazing! But this competition may lead to very good answers?

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Some confusion here... Jan 22, 2003

Now we are with the \"parking slots\", not with the \"spaces\" anymore. That the message I got from the person:

\"I chose the word \"parking slots\" after a due search on the \'net, otherwise I

would not have chosen it. You said that I should be \"ashamed\" and I frankly

don\'t see why, particularly because the contribution I chose was duly

supported and not the result of favoritism.\"

Well, I guess Luis is confused, and it was all a big misunderstanding!

Happy Divali!

Maya

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
against KudoZ e-mails Jan 22, 2003

kbamert wrote:

\"The asker opens first the 9h30 answer because it is on top of his Mail-Inbox.

He is grading this answer without looking at the other answers.

The person who gave the 9h30 answer got the question in his Mail-Box and was answering it without checking if the question had already been answered. \"

These chronic problems would stop if everybody, like myself, renounced to receiving KudoZ mails and instead looked at the ProZ home page from time to time to see if there are new questions.

After all, this is easier than opening each mail, and it saves time: especially each morning you don\'t have to read or delete all the question mails arrived during the night which probably have already been answered anyway.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awarding KudoZ points - a duplicate of my answer got the points

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs