Is grading possible offline with KudoZNet?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 03:16
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 23, 2003

I have downloaded KudoZNet, because I have a dial-up connection and it would be more efficient to do everything offline. The most tim-consuming (thus most expensive) task is grading one\'s answers.

I often post several questions at once and then I have to wait several days until I can access my server during night time, to grade my questions at a lower cost.

Today I have tried to grade my questions with KudoZNet, but after trying to grade one question, the program tried to co
... See more
I have downloaded KudoZNet, because I have a dial-up connection and it would be more efficient to do everything offline. The most tim-consuming (thus most expensive) task is grading one\'s answers.

I often post several questions at once and then I have to wait several days until I can access my server during night time, to grade my questions at a lower cost.

Today I have tried to grade my questions with KudoZNet, but after trying to grade one question, the program tried to connect to the internet. In case I have 6-7 questions, I would prefer to grade all my questions at once and then connect and send all the grades together. Otherwise, it makes no sense to use this feature. You can\'t even minimize the window and for example open several instances for grading questions, because the whole program is inactive while the grading window is open. Is there a possibility to grade several questions offline and connect only once to send the grades? This is my question.

I have to say that I like the application (I have only used it for one day) and I hope there will be a decrease in my phone bills. Thanks
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
May be you should put this as a "Technical Support" question Jan 24, 2003

and send directly to one of the site staff?

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I made the posting here, because this forum seems to be specifically intended for KudoZ and KudoZNet Jan 24, 2003

And the moderator of the forum is the person who implemented the program. I\'ll have to wait and see.

By the way, there are other features that can\'t be used offline, such as peer grading.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Offline grading with KudoZ.NET Jan 24, 2003

Hello Elvira,

currently you can not do offline grading with KudoZ.NET.

However, I can include this feature in one of the next versions. Several internal changes are required, and the server software needs to be updated. You will then probably be able to do ALL actions offline (not just grading and answering).

Have a nice weekend!

Hermann (developer of KudoZ.NET)

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Doing everything offline Jan 24, 2003

...would really be great, Hermann! Most of the time, I\'m online all day, but sometimes I do have to watch costs, and in such cases this possibility would be neat.

And for those who rely on a dialup connection all the time, this could be THE tool for increasing their presence in the Kudoz arena.

One more thing:

I have just downloaded the application for the n-th time (as version information is still not included in the file name, I n
... See more
...would really be great, Hermann! Most of the time, I\'m online all day, but sometimes I do have to watch costs, and in such cases this possibility would be neat.

And for those who rely on a dialup connection all the time, this could be THE tool for increasing their presence in the Kudoz arena.

One more thing:

I have just downloaded the application for the n-th time (as version information is still not included in the file name, I never know if my old version is the latest one), but the install just doesn\'t start.

A DOS window flashes up and disappears again, and nothing happens. If I run the program in a DOS window, it says \"Programm zu groß für den Arbeitsspeicher\".

I use German W2k, SP1. Any idea why this happens? Do I need some runtimes? Or what else could it be?

Thanks and all the best

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Endre Jan 24, 2003

It happened to me too, but on WinXP. Then I downloaded the program again and it worked. Maybe it didn\'t work out well for the first time.

Tey Lyn (X)
Tey Lyn (X)
English to German
+ ...
Another dial-up user strongly voting for off-line features Jan 30, 2003

I can only agree with Elvira and the others: being on a slow modem connection and sometimes needing just that phone line available for calls (customer threatening with a job, beware), I can probably find a thousand other reasons why I would also like the off-line grading and answering features.

Hermann, we know it\'s a lot of work and you say that it involves server software as well as clients, but PLEEEEZZZZE, try to get it into one of the next versions.

... See more
I can only agree with Elvira and the others: being on a slow modem connection and sometimes needing just that phone line available for calls (customer threatening with a job, beware), I can probably find a thousand other reasons why I would also like the off-line grading and answering features.

Hermann, we know it\'s a lot of work and you say that it involves server software as well as clients, but PLEEEEZZZZE, try to get it into one of the next versions.

Thanks a million in advance

- Inge
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:16
SITE FOUNDER
Offline functionality will be added (after external searching and group functions) Feb 4, 2003

Based on the request here, we have decided to make grading possible offline. This development will be done after we have developed two other features:

(1) external searching from the client of online dictionaries such as Ectaco, etc.

(2) team functions (so that you can use KudoZ privately among a team, etc.)

Thanks for your suggestions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is grading possible offline with KudoZNet?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »