"Float this page"?
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:51
Portuguese to English
Aug 7, 2007

Would somebody be kind enough to translate this expression into English for me?

I've only been speaking the language as my native tongue for the past 60 years, and I do just about understand those 3 words individually, but grouped together in this way they mean nothing to me.

If I tick the box against this Byzantine phrase, what can I expect to happen? I can't see anything different.

On a related subject, I want to be able to switch easily between PT>E, EN>
... See more
Would somebody be kind enough to translate this expression into English for me?

I've only been speaking the language as my native tongue for the past 60 years, and I do just about understand those 3 words individually, but grouped together in this way they mean nothing to me.

If I tick the box against this Byzantine phrase, what can I expect to happen? I can't see anything different.

On a related subject, I want to be able to switch easily between PT>E, EN>PT and EN>EN at will. How do I do this without jumping through multiple hoops?

In case anybody's unsympathetic, let me say that:
a) this is what I want
b) I'm paying handsomely (excessively) for membership of Proz.com
c) I want my problem solved to my satisfaction
d) I want it solved now
Collapse

Francis Lee (X)
Francis Lee (X)
German to English
+ ...
I hear you. Aug 7, 2007

lexical wrote:

I do just about understand those 3 words individually, but grouped together in this way they mean nothing to me.

To be honest, I likewise have no idea what "float this page" is supposed to mean. If there's one thing I don't translate (nor have little interest in), it's software instructions.

lexical wrote:
On a related subject, I want to be able to switch easily between PT>E, EN>PT and EN>EN at will. How do I do this without jumping through multiple hoops?

I think you need to go to your profile, then click on "Languages" underneath "Freelancer Settings" and then make sure that PT>E, EN>PT and EN>EN are all selected.
This should enable you to switch between them at the click of a mouse (button).

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Weather Aug 7, 2007

Is it very hot in Spain at the moment?

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sorry but... Aug 7, 2007

...I was looking for an answer, not sarcasm.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
the banner and left-hand bar from the main page are visible... Aug 7, 2007

when you select "float". I had a reaction similar to yours (however, I kept my sense of humor). I found the answer by clicking it on and off.

Could you clarify your second question? I move around between Spa-Eng, Eng-Spa, and Eng-Eng (and sometimes, Spa-Spa), but I retain English as the language for the site. Sorry that I'm not understanding.

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
OK Aug 7, 2007

I can see what "float this page" does and it's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

As to my second question, Patricia, I can't see how I can predefine and save the language pairs that interest me, so I can switch between them easily. At the moment, I seem to have to select the languages from long lists every time, which strikes me as very primitive.

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
I'm with you Aug 7, 2007

lexical wrote:

I can't see how I can predefine and save the language pairs that interest me, so I can switch between them easily. At the moment, I seem to have to select the languages from long lists every time, which strikes me as very primitive.

In other words, would it be possible to choose to see Kudoz questions in selected language pairs in one list instead of having to switch between many options.

For example, I would like to see KudoZ questions in EN-LV and LV-EN in one list. Now I first have to look at EN-LV questions and then click the mouse 4682548 times to be able to see the LV-EN questions. As I am usually too lazy to do that colleagues might miss my very valuable opinions and insight.

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Language Pairs Aug 7, 2007

I don't understand the problem you are having with language pairs. When I view KudoZ questions I see questions in "my language pairs" which for me means FR>EN, EN>FR, & ENEN

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
language pairs on the main page? Aug 7, 2007

Are you talking about seeing KudoZ questions on the ProZ home page?

Under "My ProZ.com" select "My Settings" and every pair that you've declared as one of your pairs will appear with a variety of options. If you choose to see the KudoZ questions for that pair, these questions will appear on the main page once you've saved your settings.

Granted, they are sorted by time received, and you can't toggle them on and off unless you go to back to that page under "My ProZ.com
... See more
Are you talking about seeing KudoZ questions on the ProZ home page?

Under "My ProZ.com" select "My Settings" and every pair that you've declared as one of your pairs will appear with a variety of options. If you choose to see the KudoZ questions for that pair, these questions will appear on the main page once you've saved your settings.

Granted, they are sorted by time received, and you can't toggle them on and off unless you go to back to that page under "My ProZ.com, but that is only 3 or 4 clicks, maximum.

HTH
Collapse

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, tinageta Aug 7, 2007

it all seems far too complicated to me as a bear of little brain. Would it be so difficult for the powers that be to make things easy for people (yes, I suppose it would). We are not all Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, and I don't see why we shoukd be made to feel ashamed of that.

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
now we're getting to the bottom of this Aug 7, 2007

I gather that if I declare my pairs to be PT>EN, EN>PT and EN>EN, I will be able to view the Kudoz forums that interest me. But I regard it as dishonest to say I operate in the EN>PT pair, when I wouldn't regard myself as competent compared with native PT speakers (unlike the dozens of native PT speakers who are quite happy to contradict native EN speakers).

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
not declaring working compentency Aug 8, 2007

First, I left out a step in my earlier description. After going to My Settings, you need to click on the KudoZ dashboard in the left-hand side column. That will take you to the place where you can select KudoZ options.

In terms of any potential misrepresentation, I have selected Spanish-Spanish and English-Spanish (not working pairs for me), and then I selected that they not be shown in my profile and I left "services" blank.

The public cannot see that I have an "inter
... See more
First, I left out a step in my earlier description. After going to My Settings, you need to click on the KudoZ dashboard in the left-hand side column. That will take you to the place where you can select KudoZ options.

In terms of any potential misrepresentation, I have selected Spanish-Spanish and English-Spanish (not working pairs for me), and then I selected that they not be shown in my profile and I left "services" blank.

The public cannot see that I have an "interest" in those pairs, but if some were to have a way to determine that I'm active in those forums, they would find that I don't claim to work (offer services) in them.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Grinning ... Aug 8, 2007

lexical wrote:

I gather that if I declare my pairs to be PT>EN, EN>PT and EN>EN, I will be able to view the Kudoz forums that interest me. But I regard it as dishonest to say I operate in the EN>PT pair, when I wouldn't regard myself as competent compared with native PT speakers (unlike the dozens of native PT speakers who are quite happy to contradict native EN speakers).

... about your jibe (and I do so understand it!)

But hey, either I'm going mad or from what I can see to the left (under your name) you DO offer EN»PT services ???

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I wanted to avoid Aug 8, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

But hey, either I'm going mad or from what I can see to the left (under your name) you DO offer EN»PT services ???

That's precisely what I was trying to avoid. I need to follow Patricia's advice and 'hide' the other language pairs. It seems a very complicated way of establishing a menu of 'favourite' Kudoz pairs, but heigh-ho, when was life ever simple?

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Understand Aug 8, 2007

lexical wrote:

That's precisely what I was trying to avoid. I need to follow Patricia's advice and 'hide' the other language pairs. It seems a very complicated way of establishing a menu of 'favourite' Kudoz pairs, but heigh-ho, when was life ever simple?

Looks better now

Keep well
Debs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Float this page"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »