https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/81656-problem_with_kudoz_abbreviation_search.html

Problem with KudoZ abbreviation search
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:00
German to English
Aug 19, 2007

This morning I needed an explanation of the German legal abbreviation b.b.
Realizing that search terms must contain at least three characters, I typed the abbreviation with the periods, b.b. but came up empty. "No terms matched your search criteria" I was told.

So I spent about 15 minutes carefully formulating my question with all the necessary context and clicked on "preview this question". And lo and behold I was given a list of 4 entries for b.b., 3 of which fit my context
... See more
This morning I needed an explanation of the German legal abbreviation b.b.
Realizing that search terms must contain at least three characters, I typed the abbreviation with the periods, b.b. but came up empty. "No terms matched your search criteria" I was told.

So I spent about 15 minutes carefully formulating my question with all the necessary context and clicked on "preview this question". And lo and behold I was given a list of 4 entries for b.b., 3 of which fit my context perfectly.

Existing German to English KudoZ question(s) were found that are similar to your term. Please review these questions to see if they provide a suitable answer. To continue asking your own KudoZ question, preview and submit your question below.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/115095

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/195239

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/278812

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1999463

Now this is a wonderful thing - askers are shown previous answers and can avoid bothering colleagues with a question that has already been answered. I know very little about computer programming, but since the exact abbreviation does show up before the question is submitted, can't something be done to let it show up when doing the initial search?

[Edited at 2007-08-19 16:49]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The same happened to me a couple of days ago Aug 19, 2007

Hi Kim,

The same happened to me on Friday. I wanted to know the German legal abbreviation "h.L." (which turned out to mean "nach herrschender Lehre"), and it did not come up in a search, so I went ahead with asking a Kudoz question and, at the last stage, before submitting the question, two instances of the same question suddenly put in an appearance at the top of the page - from which I found the above answer.

However, I agree with you that it is annoying that the ques
... See more
Hi Kim,

The same happened to me on Friday. I wanted to know the German legal abbreviation "h.L." (which turned out to mean "nach herrschender Lehre"), and it did not come up in a search, so I went ahead with asking a Kudoz question and, at the last stage, before submitting the question, two instances of the same question suddenly put in an appearance at the top of the page - from which I found the above answer.

However, I agree with you that it is annoying that the questions only come up at that stage. It certainly wastes a lot of time, and I would like to see this technicality fixed, too.

Astrid
Collapse

Melissa Stanfield
Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Acronyms and abbreviations Aug 20, 2007

I have also had this issue - I can understand why short searches are restricted, with the phenomenal size of the database, so perhaps it's time for a specific "acronym" or "abbreviation" search?

I get around this problem when searching for acronyms by using the site search facility on google (eg: "enquiry"site:www.proz.com/kudoz. It often works for my combination, despite the fact that you can't specify a language mig
... See more
I have also had this issue - I can understand why short searches are restricted, with the phenomenal size of the database, so perhaps it's time for a specific "acronym" or "abbreviation" search?

I get around this problem when searching for acronyms by using the site search facility on google (eg: "enquiry"site:www.proz.com/kudoz. It often works for my combination, despite the fact that you can't specify a language might help
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:00
French to English
+ ...
Abbreviations fix Aug 23, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have just posted a fix for this. You should now be able to search for abbreviations successfully.

Best,
Colin

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Colin Aug 23, 2007

Thanks a lot, Colin. I just tried it out and it works fine now as long as you remember to include the periods: b.b. - not bb

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Two-letter abbreviations still not covered Aug 23, 2007

Hi Colin,

Thank you for this modification - very useful. On a more general note, though, "pure" two-letter abbreviations are still a major issue as they continue to be unsearchable. Yet the KudoZ glossary contains a lot of these entries, so perhaps there's still some more room for improvement in this regard?

MTIA for your feedback,
Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with KudoZ abbreviation search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »