Thread poster: Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2003)
French to English
Oct 4, 2007

I'd be interested to know the thinking behind the new "First validated answer" feature in Kudoz (i.e. the question is closed as soon as there are two net peer agrees). At first glance it seems to me that this will put ever more emphasis on speed rather than quality. It's not uncommon to see a couple of agrees followed later by one or more disagrees - but if the question has already closed by that point, then either the asker doesn't have the full picture or (worse) those who might have disagreed... See more
I'd be interested to know the thinking behind the new "First validated answer" feature in Kudoz (i.e. the question is closed as soon as there are two net peer agrees). At first glance it seems to me that this will put ever more emphasis on speed rather than quality. It's not uncommon to see a couple of agrees followed later by one or more disagrees - but if the question has already closed by that point, then either the asker doesn't have the full picture or (worse) those who might have disagreed don't get the chance or don't bother - and the quality of the glossaries suffers as a result.

I'm struggling to see any advantage, but maybe someone can explain.

Karen
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Another option for the askers Oct 4, 2007

Hi Karen,

FVA provides another option for askers, in this case that of waiving the right to choose the best answer, instead taking the first answer judged acceptable by the answerer community. In this mode, questions close automatically as soon as any answer receives two peer agreements.

FVA questions are of the “not for points” category and FVA-generated glossary entries are left out of the KOG.

Regards,
Enrique

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The option is hardly ever used Oct 4, 2007

Hi Karen,

For your peace of mind, the option is not all that new. I believe it has existed at least for well over a year (maybe longer). During that time I have only ever seen it used on rare occasions, so there cannot be too much to worry about.

Astrid

P.S. I imagine it would chiefly be convenient for non-Proz.com askers, especially if they are not in a position to make a judgement on the answers.

[Edited at 2007-10-04 16:51]

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 4, 2007

Thanks to Enrique and Astrid for their clarifcations - it was flagged as a new feature on a French Kudoz question today and I certainly hadn't come across it before. As you say, it can't be used very much.
Best,
Karen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First validated answer: purpose?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »