Thread poster: biankonera
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:37
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

Maybe this has been asked before but still Im gonna give it another go.
Im curious - why is it that when a question is closed answers still can be proposed? I mean, that doesnt seem logical. A closed question should be closed - no answer propositions, nothing. Or maybe Im not getting something?

Ilona Kangro
Ilona Kangro  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2006)
Latvian to English
+ ...
Wrong/inadequate answer Oct 5, 2007

It may happen that a wrong/inadequate answer is selected. Somebody who is searching for the same term later may spot this inadequacy and point it out either by disagree or a separate answer. Similarly, sb who is searching for the same term at a later stage might appreciate any additional suggestions, which help to find out the correct/most appropriate answer. This is one reason why I think such an option may be useful. Once I used it to point out the inadequacy of the selected answer in a partic... See more
It may happen that a wrong/inadequate answer is selected. Somebody who is searching for the same term later may spot this inadequacy and point it out either by disagree or a separate answer. Similarly, sb who is searching for the same term at a later stage might appreciate any additional suggestions, which help to find out the correct/most appropriate answer. This is one reason why I think such an option may be useful. Once I used it to point out the inadequacy of the selected answer in a particular context. I added a neutral opinion, though.

Ilona
Collapse

biankonera
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not the case Oct 5, 2007

Thanks for your comment, Ilona, however I was reffering to the type of closed questions when they are closed before an answer is even given (you know how it can be - long time no answer or while you wait for an answer you find it somewhere else etc). So a user closes the question but answers still are given.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:37
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I found this feature useful... Oct 5, 2007

A closed question should be closed - no answer propositions, nothing. Or maybe Im not getting something?

in the following case (this morning):

o there were two (inadequate) answers
o the asker (ignoring by the way the suggested 24 hours period).selected an answer, that was clearly wrong, and closed the question.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Even then... Oct 5, 2007

bramasole wrote:
Thanks for your comment, Ilona, however I was reffering to the type of closed questions when they are closed before an answer is even given (you know how it can be - long time no answer or while you wait for an answer you find it somewhere else etc). So a user closes the question but answers still are given.

... answers provided after the question has been closed quickly without grading may be helpful for future users of the KudoZ glossary, so I'd generally welcome such later additions.

Steffen

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once the question is closed, it is at the service of the whole community Oct 5, 2007

Much later, even years later, someone may be looking for the term and may come upon the KudoZ question in a search long after the asker has forgotten about the question. Not only ProZians, but anyone searching the internet may find KudoZ questions and use the information posted there. It is to everyone's advantage if the information recorded there is as complete and correct as possible.

biankonera
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
closed or open? Oct 5, 2007

Steffen Walter wrote:

... answers provided after the question has been closed quickly without grading may be helpful for future users of the KudoZ glossary, so I'd generally welcome such later additions.

Steffen

Well, I was actually referring to questions where NO answer had been provided before the question was closed (hence there was nothing to grade) and still after the question was closed somebody provides an answer.
Maybe its nothing bad, but I seriously dont see any logic in the "closed" function then - if something is closed then it must remain so. Besides, whats the sense then in giving such "closed" option (even with options to explain why the wuestion was closed) if it doesnt impact the question in the sense that people can still provide answers?

And one more thing - if one closes a question like this and later someone gives an answer which is correct one cant grade that answer and provide the answerer with well deserved Kudoz points.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's purely altruistic Oct 5, 2007

It's for the benefit of the community and the glossary, nothing more, nothing less. Whether it's a question closed before any answers were provided or one where points were awarded to a possibly incorrect suggestion, it benefits anyone searching the glossaries at a later date. I've agreed with unselected answers to long-dead questions myself (although I don't think I've ever provided an answer to one, but it may happen in the future, you never know...)

I know I risk sounding holier-
... See more
It's for the benefit of the community and the glossary, nothing more, nothing less. Whether it's a question closed before any answers were provided or one where points were awarded to a possibly incorrect suggestion, it benefits anyone searching the glossaries at a later date. I've agreed with unselected answers to long-dead questions myself (although I don't think I've ever provided an answer to one, but it may happen in the future, you never know...)

I know I risk sounding holier-than-thou here, but there is a difference between Kudoz chasers and those who are generally interested in helping others. I've lost count of how many times I've not had to ask a question because it's already been asked - and answered - by others. Helping improve the glossaries is a small way in which I can recompense.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 14:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well said, Ilona, Vito, Steffen... Oct 12, 2007

...and especially GoodWords and Marie-Hélene (sorry about lack of grave accent). I just want to add my agreement and support.
Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Closed questions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »